The Student Room Group

Resolution 2014/09 - Reuniting DPRK and South Korea

Everyone likes a controversial resolution.

Committee: Security Council
Proposed by: New Zealand

Alarmed by the increasing abuses of human rights abuses and rhetoric coming from North Korea.

Seeking to implement internationally coordinated sanctions against North Korea and use reasonable military force in the form of covert operations to destroy death camps in the country.

Welcoming the deployment of all available military assets for limited intervention and all countries to implement sanctions.

Noting the purge of six senior officers in North Korea and the recent interviews given by defectors detailing their harsh treatment.

Believing the only way to resolve the problem is to increase sanctions and use force to destroy death camps, topple the government and reunite the Koreas.

1. Invites all nations to impose sanctions, use military force and drop propaganda leaflets.

2. Calls on all nations to follow the above.

3. Authorises military action against North Korea.

4. Expresses its support for the desire to see a reunited Korea.

5. Expresses its hope North Korea and South Korea will reunite under Southern leadership and control.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
China and Russia won't allow this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Uruguay can't quite believe this.
Reply 3
USA and Sri Lanka cannot allow this.
Reply 4
Bahrain disapproves this.
Monaco supports this on the condition that South Korea creates a super-high tier of tax similar to the French.
Belgium cannot support the resolution.
Madagascar believes that this is not a good idea, and agrees with our close friend and ally, China.
Reply 8
Original post by junior.doctor
Madagascar believes that this is not a good idea, and agrees with our close friend and ally, China.

China hasn't commented:confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aph
China hasn't commented:confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought you were China? No? I must have misunderstood your comment, sorry, I thought you speaking as China and Russia. I have no idea who is who anymore.

Anyway, the other point I was trying to get across in character was that Madagascar would agree with China reasonably blindly anyway no matter what China says, as China has and is investing so much money in the country. So it doesn't really matter what China says, we (Madagascar) will agree with them on this one.
Reply 10
I thought you were China? No? I must have misunderstood your comment, sorry, I thought you speaking as China and Russia. I have no idea who is who anymore.

Anyway, the other point I was trying to get across in character was that Madagascar would agree with China reasonably blindly anyway no matter what China says, as China has and is investing so much money in the country. So it doesn't really matter what China says, we (Madagascar) will agree with them on this one.

No I'm the Netherlands and I was making the general comment that they wouldn't agree.
Original post by Aph
No I'm the Netherlands and I was making the general comment that they wouldn't agree.

What does the Netherlands think?
Reply 12
What does the Netherlands think?

The motion is in the right place but it would be too difficult to reintegrate them.
Reply 13
Turkey thinks this is too soft and the MUN should assassinate Kim Jon Un and his cronies. While implementing precision air strikes on all military bases and nuclear missile sites.
Germany understands the benefits a unification would bring to North Korea, but wonders what benefit it would bring to the prosperous South.

However, as a long time friend of Japan, Germany would like to see the return of Japanese citizens who have been abducted by North Korean authorities and believes a better relationship between the two nations would free those trapped in North Korea.

As a nation with experience of reunification, we believe force isn't the way to reunite the people. We propose talks with DPRK to conduct exchanges and open up trade, potentially even offering them key incentives. Germany would be willing to send educators, doctors and scientists to improve NK's infrastructure in return for them engaging with SK and opening up their nation.

But by no means will Germany support an invasion of an unstable country, we must put the lives of the people before all else.
OOC: I've only just seen this, woops. It's addressed to the SC, so should probably be in there but it looks like the SC will be gone soon anyway so it doesn't really matter.
Reply 16
Israel supports the resolution, especially because unification is a key eventual policy for both Korean governments.
Mexico believes the situation should be left as it is. Mexico feels there isn't sufficient evidence to suggest the North Korean people are suffering and any attempt to establish relations at this sore stage would result in conflict.

Mexico would like to recommend we postpone this resolution for a later date.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending