The Student Room Group

How do I quit volunteering?

I'm volunteering in a charity shop and I want to leave. This might seem like a stupid question but, how do I go about quitting? The manager is never there either.
write a letter to the manager saying how good of an experience you have had and say you have to leave due to studying commitments
Original post by rumana101
write a letter to the manager saying how good of an experience you have had and say you have to leave due to studying commitments

I agree
Reply 3
Original post by rumana101

Okay thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why do you want to leave?
Reply 5
Original post by LillyLisaa
Why do you want to leave?

because I find it boring, and I've been there for so long now that I literally want my Saturdays back to do my own stuff
as suggested, tell them politely you need to leave. It would be good to give at least two weeks notice to give them time to try and get someone else.
Other than the shop manager you must surely have some method of contacting another member of paid staff? Get in touch with them and see if they can put you through to the volunteering administrator or someone else who can help you or atleast pass a message on to your line manager.
it's fairly easy to leave as volunteer, just try not to leave them in the lurch and they will be fine with it.
Reply 8
I have the managers mobile number so I'll call on Monday. But I'm also looking for a job at the moment, and if I leave because of study commitments, I wouldn't be able to ask for a reference because they might think, oh she leaves volunteering for one day a week because of studying, but yet she's getting a job. Do you get what I mean? lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thestars
I have the managers mobile number so I'll call on Monday. But I'm also looking for a job at the moment, and if I leave because of study commitments, I wouldn't be able to ask for a reference because they might think, oh she leaves volunteering for one day a week because of studying, but yet she's getting a job. Do you get what I mean? lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ask for a letter when you leave. When one of my volunteers leave I ask the volunteer administrator lady to write a letter just saying something like "xxxx has volunteered doing xxxxxx where she has done xxx, xxx, xxx and xxx etc." it's a few lines on headed paper to look more official which you can pop into you folder of achievement.

They're not going to be angry and bitter. As long as you don't screw them around and leave them in the lurch they'll be fine with it and grateful that you've given your free time up for them for the past few months.
Reply 10
Hmm okay. Well I'm going there today to volunteer

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest