The Student Room Group

Critical Thinking?

I have just been offered to do an AS level in Critical Thinking as an extra subject as well as my main 4 AS levels. It seems useful, but I've heard bad reports about universities disliking it. Any advice?
Universities don't dislike it as such, but some do view it as a bit of a waste of time that you could have spent on your other subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My school showed my yesterday that 40% of Critical Thinking students get in to Oxford
Original post by marybeth97
I have just been offered to do an AS level in Critical Thinking as an extra subject as well as my main 4 AS levels. It seems useful, but I've heard bad reports about universities disliking it. Any advice?

I don't think there's anything wrong with the subject, and you won't be at a disadvantage if you take it as a fifth subject. However, it will take time away from your main subjects and most universities don't consider it regarding offers. If you think the content/skills would be useful then take it, but otherwise you might just be wasting time.
Original post by TheRealInjustice
My school showed my yesterday that 40% of Critical Thinking students get in to Oxford

me*
Grammar Nazi here

But really 40% of CT students get into Oxford ................:curious:
I did it alongside GCSEs and it didn't take all that much away from my subjects. Many universities include Critical Thinking into your UCAS tariff points (unlike General Studies, which is often excluded). I also found it pretty interesting as a subject.
Reply 6
I read that Critical Thinking is really great at helping students who don't take essay subjects to do entrance exams like the UKCAT, BMAT, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest