The Student Room Group

UK ordered to pay extra money to european union BUT GERMANY GETS CASH-BACK???

This image/graph came from the daily mail. It shows the latest cash requests/receiverships for all EU countries:

1414138160026_wps_6_Picture_Device_Independen.jpg

What a surprise, the UK has to give the most and Germany and France receive the most......

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah its a cash transfer from Greece to Germany, what a surprise...
Reply 2
Original post by Quady
Yeah its a cash transfer from Greece to Germany, what a surprise...

How can it be a cash transfer from Greece to Germany when the amount Germany is receiving is about eight times larger than Greece's contribution?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by billydisco
Are you purposely being an idiot?

How can it be a cash transfer from Greece to Germany when the amount Germany is receiving is about eight times larger than Greece's contribution?

Ah ok, no cash transfers taking place.

Fair enough.
Reply 4
It's pretty ridiculous. I'm glad Cameron has at least put his foot down this time. We should not be footing three times more than anyone else.
Are you purposely being an idiot?

The German taxpayer funded the Greek bailout mostly.

That money needs to be clawed back somehow.

I understand the concept of if you earn more you pay more in tax, but considering we've only had 2% growth we get taxes 20% more.

Does everybody now see why the UK is very important to the EU?
Original post by CJKay
It's pretty ridiculous. I'm glad Cameron has at least put his foot down this time. We should not be footing three times more than anyone else.

I suppose it all depends on the size if the comparative economies.

Considering holland is a tenth of the size of the UK they seem to be get royally screwed over.
Reply 7
This is part of an agreement that we agreed to. We have gained from this in this past, it is only this time we have lost out.
We must pay this money.

We must do what the EU says.

After all, if we disagree with everything the EU does and tells us to do, why stay in ?

And here is how you post a picture on TSR properly.

Reply 9
This image/graph came from the daily mail. It shows the latest cash requests/receiverships for all EU countries:

What a surprise, the UK has to give the most and Germany and France receive the most......

As I understand it, it was calculated according to method/rules it's supposed to, the reason why UK is being asked so much is because UK recently like 2013 included how much money circulates from black market in economy e.g. prostitution for recent years like from a decade ago till now, and what that means is that UK was underpaying all this time, therefore they are now being asked to pay up for those years, it's all in the rules & regulations. Where as countries like Germany were declaring everything correctly.

1 billion doesn't seem like that much for a country to be honest. It does look quite striking though when compared to the rest of EU members. I have a feeling this was timed for some political moves though, to sway public's opinion.

UK looks like it's becoming some EU bitch to be honest, constantly whining about **** and doesn't understand what can & cannot be done according to rules, doesn't seem to have much support from other countries either. It also feels like some sinking ship, that I might just jump off before it sinks, which is a pity.
Reply 10
Original post by james22
This is part of an agreement that we agreed to. We have gained from this in this past, it is only this time we have lost out.

We gained from this? Really?

What you think all the Eastern European countries paid-in, whilst the UK took out? :rolleyes:
Reply 11
Original post by democracyforum
We must pay this money.

We must do what the EU says.

After all, if we disagree with everything the EU does and tells us to do, why stay in ?

And here is how you post a picture on TSR properly.

You haven't actually told me HOW to post a picture, you have shown me what a properly-posted picture looks like.......

Considering I used the picture button and inserted my link, perhaps you need to have a word with the website designers?
You haven't actually told me HOW to post a picture, you have shown me what a properly-posted picture looks like.......

Considering I used the picture button and inserted my link, perhaps you need to have a word with the website designers?

No, unlick "retrieve remote file".

Secondly.

There are roughly 30 million pro EU voters in the Uk.

If they each stumped up 56 pounds,
by my calculation,
they could pay this bill,
and then the EU would not throw us out .
Reply 13
The EU will not throw us out if we do not pay. We still pay in a huge amount, plus contribute in political ways that are less numerical.
The EU are trying to punish the UK for
a) not being 'good Europeans' and toeing the EU party line, and
b) to reclaim the money they lost out on after Mrs T's successful rebate negotiation.

Thanks to Labour there's little we can do to stop the EU because they gave our veto rights away.
Waa waa waah the UK is getting royally screwed over, teh Brussels bureaucrats are so mean *sob sob sob*

So what do you want us to do about it? You know we hear this rubbish every day? Are you a UKIP propagandist? Trying to get them a few extra votes huh?

Whatever's going on with the EU, it's not that important. The UK is wasting massive amounts of money on other highly immoral ventures, like pumping money into BAE or Raytheon, starting illegal wars and training Saudi 'security' forces. Maybe you should be more interested in this country becoming a neoliberal wasteland rather than being obsessed with issues banged on about again and again to foment needless division between people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
We gained from this? Really?

What you think all the Eastern European countries paid-in, whilst the UK took out? :rolleyes:

In 2008 our EU bill was lowqer because of this system. Now it's higher.
As soon as I heard this I said " I would stick two fingers up to them and say FU" then heard cameron say not paying it, Either he will end up paying it which will be very likely or something will happen where it will get reduced. I can't see what the EU would do if just decided not pay. I just see it as yet again because the UK is the best country we get screwed over by brussels yet again.We need to grow a pair and tell brussels that we are going to have more of a say over things if you don't like it we are leaving
Original post by james22
In 2008 our EU bill was lowqer because of this system. Now it's higher.

How can it fluctuate 20% with 2% growth.

If we has a great year and ran at 10% growth we'd be doubling are payements.
Original post by MatureStudent36
How can it fluctuate 20% with 2% growth.

If we has a great year and ran at 10% growth we'd be doubling are payements.

Ask the independent body who decides. I don't know anything about economics, and I bet they know a hell of a lot mroe about how to distribute payments fairly than either of us.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending