The Student Room Group

why don't people want to get married?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Viceroy
Why not?

With today’s high rates of divorces, with almost 50% (47% to be exact) of marriages ending in divorce, people feel the need to disregard its value and the sanctity of the institution of marriage.

The issue is that people forget that they have become one, and today we like to run from struggles. We allow what society holds as a standard (lack thereof) or what we’ve become accustomed to overshadow what is really valuable. People don’t just disregard marriage, but in today’s world people are ready to give up on anything when things become tough. We see a struggle, and our first reaction is to run instead of jumping over the hurdle and seeing the glory at the end of a tough run.
Original post by bahonsi
With today’s high rates of divorces, with almost 50% (47% to be exact) of marriages ending in divorce, people feel the need to disregard its value and the sanctity of the institution of marriage.

The issue is that people forget that they have become one, and today we like to run from struggles. We allow what society holds as a standard (lack thereof) or what we’ve become accustomed to overshadow what is really valuable. People don’t just disregard marriage, but in today’s world people are ready to give up on anything when things become tough. We see a struggle, and our first reaction is to run instead of jumping over the hurdle and seeing the glory at the end of a tough run.

Yes, this may well be an issue for some, but surely there are plenty of marriages for which this is not the case; there are also many reasons why people divorce, it's never only one thing for everyone.

In the end, it is up to the individuals in a couple to make do with challenges and make their marriage strong and valuable on their own terms. I don't think it's reasonable to give up on the institution of marriage based on the perceived behavior of some couples -- As with anything in life, marriage is what you make of it and, of course, I agree that not shying away from difficult situations is significant if a marriage is to work.
Original post by Viceroy
Yes, this may well be an issue for some, but surely there are plenty of marriages for which this is not the case; there are also many reasons why people divorce, it's never only one thing for everyone.

In the end, it is up to the individuals in a couple to make do with challenges and make their marriage strong and valuable on their own terms. I don't think it's reasonable to give up on the institution of marriage based on the perceived behavior of some couples -- As with anything in life, marriage is what you make of it and, of course, I agree that not shying away from difficult situations is significant if a marriage is to work.

But most people just take the easier route (Divorce).
I'm currently unmarried and I'm happy, so I don't see any reason to change that.
There is no reason to wait for marriage. Everyone has sex with strangers on nights out, people move in with each other so quick. Why waste all that money just so a woman can have all the attention on her for one day?

Rather expensive attention seeking method if you ask me.
Reply 65
Its the worst deal for men. The women can cheat on the Man. Man asks for divorce. Woman takes half of assets + any kids.
Original post by WeedCanKill
There is no reason to wait for marriage. Everyone has sex with strangers on nights out, people move in with each other so quick. Why waste all that money just so a woman can have all the attention on her for one day?

Absolutely spot on
Because I don't want to lose everything in a divorce. Plus it's a much cleaner split (assuming you do) without the involvement of lawyers...
Marriage is not necessary in today's society. :rolleyes:
And personally, I don't like commitment.
Reply 69
Original post by inachigeek21
Marriage is not necessary in today's society. :rolleyes:
And personally, I don't like commitment.

Marriage is half your deen, sister. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bahonsi

so make your partner value it.maybe its not as successful a concept in the uk but in ireland marriage does work in the main.coming from a big family I dont think I couldve had a better start in life and Im forever grateful for my parents hard work.Id love to pass then on to my kids.if its not meant to be..its not meant to be.

but.if I get the chance..and I truly believe in it.then Im gonna take my chance at marriage and give it my all.
some things in life are worth fighting for..and this bahonsi is one of them.

Original post by Viceroy

haha lets get married man:cool:

Original post by WeedCanKill

when you start bringing money into it you really dont understand the concept.whether its sooner or later we realise it well soon realise theres finer things in life than money.
Original post by trustmeimlying1
when you start bringing money into it you really dont understand the concept.whether its sooner or later we realise it well soon realise theres finer things in life than money.

What about my other points then? What I said is generally true, no one holds value for it because all those things it used to signify you can now easily get outside Tiger Tiger on a Saturday.
Original post by trustmeimlying1
so make your partner value it.maybe its not as successful a concept in the uk but in ireland marriage does work in the main.coming from a big family I dont think I couldve had a better start in life and Im forever grateful for my parents hard work.Id love to pass then on to my kids.if its not meant to be..its not meant to be.

but.if I get the chance..and I truly believe in it.then Im gonna take my chance at marriage and give it my all.
some things in life are worth fighting for..and this bahonsi is one of them.

Not against marriage just stating the obvious, if am lucky enough to find someone to marry me well I take he/she up on that. But i won't go out of my way to search for it. Couples eg my parents have lived happily not married, and will probably do so for the rest off their lives, compared to my uncle and his wife who were married now separated. Just goes to show you don't need marriage to have a successful relationship. I personally think that it comes down to finding the one that loves you for you and is willing to work that bit harder to keep the relationship with or without ring.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by bahonsi
Not against marriage just stating the obvious, if am lucky enough to find someone to marry me well I take he/she up on that. But i won't go out of my way to search for it. Couples eg my parents have lived happily not married, and will probably do so for the rest off their lives, compared to my uncle and his wife who were married now separated. Just goes to show you don't need marriage to have a successful relationship. I personally think that it comes down to finding the one that loves you for you and is willing to work that bit harder to keep the relationship with or without ring.

yeh not a dealbreaker but its a nice way of showing your committing
by all means she can walk away when she likes but ultimately you just dont get the commitment or stability you get in marriage.

maybe mix it up to make it more personal....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sahsquWlw5I
Original post by beast132
I dont really see the point of marriage as in what's the actual benefit? Things can turn nasty after a few years even with someone you trust and love. E.g my uncle has a very profitable company and after he had to have a divorce with his ex-wife who turned crazy, he ended up losing loads of money for her - thanks to the fact that they were married. This was an example just to show that it can be dangerous in some cases..

The question "what's the actual benefit" misses the point somewhat, given the shift in society toward a romantic conception of marriage. In the middle ages the question would have been more apt, as it was a mechanism for bringing together wealthy families to prevent the wealth from dissipating.

Married couples do get tax advantages as well as property rights upon the intestate death of their spouse, but these are hardly reasons people choose to get married nowadays.
Original post by bahonsi
But most people just take the easier route (Divorce).

Sure, but an individual confident in his or her relationship shouldn't shy away from getting married just because of what "most people" do. What "most people" do doesn't effect your relationship.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending