The Student Room Group

why don't people want to get married?

In sociology, we were asked to put up our hands if we wanted to get married.
and only 5/20 did.
I found this really shocking and was wondering if this was common amongst young people today.

Do you personally want to get married?
and if not, why?

Scroll to see replies

its a lot of work especially for women. + commitment is a long term thing that you can only achieve with that certain someone and mayb we havnt met someone to consider marriage with
Why would you want to make such a commitment when it's almost certain that you will hate them after a couple of years?

I'm not convinced that humans were built for such long term relationships, and I wouldn't want to be getting divorced and re-married every 5 years.
I would love to get married. There some magic in finding that 1 person and spending the rest of your life with them till you die.
Expensive. Sex before marriage is not as important. I want to get married though - I view it as choosing your life partner, your companion. Plus, you can make babies later on :3
Reply 5
For some reason it is concept which still has appeal, also for me, despite the fact that the majority end in disaster.
Reply 6
I dont really see the point of marriage as in what's the actual benefit? Things can turn nasty after a few years even with someone you trust and love. E.g my uncle has a very profitable company and after he had to have a divorce with his ex-wife who turned crazy, he ended up losing loads of money for her - thanks to the fact that they were married. This was an example just to show that it can be dangerous in some cases..
Because they have not yet heard of inheritence tax
If you're not religious there's no real reason to get married apart from tax incentives.
There is no benefit to getting married as a male in todays society. If it goes wrong everything is so biased in favour of women. Plus, a wedding is so expensive. I'd rather use the money on a housing deposit then spending a fortune on a ring, a cake and a dress just so the girl can live out some Disney princess fantasy from her childhood.

I'd love to meet someone and settle down but getting married? Nah. Too much risk.
Reply 10
No point. You can have the exact same relationship if you cohabit but without the legal side effects of marriage.
A lot of people aren't religious in this day and age and so don't value marriage. Marriage is supposed to be a holy ceremony that allows two people to get married in the name of their religion, and so they can start their life together i.e. move in together, have children etc. However the norm nowadays is to move in with a partner, have casual sex, have bastard children. People don't need to get married as they already do all the things that married couples are supposed to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because it doesn't change anything, except on paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Expensive, as somebody has already pointed out

Posted from TSR Mobile
No point. :rolleyes:
Original post by ScarletXxXRose
(...)
and if not, why?

No, I don't and the reason is very simple: I want not to live in a couple. I think its getting boring with time to live with the same women. Ever and ever again.

And if the women wants to have kids, then it is well and truly over with marriage.
Reply 16
people have likely covered this already but

outdated unnecessary tick-boxing that subtly and somewhat unintentionally reinforces gender stereotypes

disillusionment/realisation that many don't work out and then there's legal constraints etc

money

the usual
I've always wanted to get married. Not because of religion or anything, just because I'm a romantic at heart. I think it's because it's confirmation from both sides that yes - this is it. That this is relationship is the one we're sure we both want for the rest of our lives. I know it doesn't always work out like that, but it does for a lot of people.

I think I'd feel a lot more secure being married, as well. I'd much rather have a husband than an extremely long-term boyfriend, at the end of the day.
My grandma and grandad were married for 65 years. He was very ill and knew he was going but clung on to life so he could see their 65th anniversary through and passed away a two days later. In those days, things were made to last. They were taught to "made do and mend" and I think they worked through/put up with a lot of their problems, and for financial reasons it was better. Plus divorce was heavily frowned upon, even shameful.

Nowadays, if you look at a lot of things in society, things in general have a shorter life span, they're changed a lot and got rid of. Relationships break up easily over sometimes trivial reasons and a growing number of people don't want/trust that a marriage will last till the day they die and they don't wanna be tied down.

Marriages can be a lot of hassle too and very expensive, although my brother chose to go to Sardinia with just his bride and her daughter.

I think I would like to get married, especially if we were going to have kids but my mum has been divorced before so it puts me off a bit
Original post by ScarletXxXRose
In sociology, we were asked to put up our hands if we wanted to get married.
and only 5/20 did.
I found this really shocking and was wondering if this was common amongst young people today.

and if not, why?

They have not yet met the person they would want to marry therefore cannot imagine having the desire.

Quick Reply