The Student Room Group

Flatmates are international students.

I moved into halls just slightly over a month ago, I was at the time really nervous about who my flatmates would be as I'm not much of a drinker/clubber and didn't real care for the student lifestyle, all I wanted was one or two people I could relate and chat to.. I didn't get that, instead I got 3 Brazilians who I hardly ever see, they must be nocturnal or something. When I do see them they are nice enough but it just seems impossible to form any meaningful bond, especially when they're together and speaking Portuguese. I feel like a foreigner in my own country. They're also about 4 years older than me. This all resulted in me basically going out just a couple of times during frshers and despite having aquantainces on my course I only have one real friend and he lives in a hall thats about an hours walk away.
I've never been hugely out going and I like it that way, I keep myself to myself despite having pretty good social skills so my big fear with potentially transferring accommodation is that I'll end up somewhere worse.
One final issue is that they are really lazy and never take out the bins or recycling, any ideas on how to solve this?

DO I just need to man up and power through, trying to make friends on my course? Or should I try a different approach?
Original post by BenLynch9
I moved into halls just slightly over a month ago, I was at the time really nervous about who my flatmates would be as I'm not much of a drinker/clubber and didn't real care for the student lifestyle, all I wanted was one or two people I could relate and chat to.. I didn't get that, instead I got 3 Brazilians who I hardly ever see, they must be nocturnal or something. When I do see them they are nice enough but it just seems impossible to form any meaningful bond, especially when they're together and speaking Portuguese. I feel like a foreigner in my own country. They're also about 4 years older than me. This all resulted in me basically going out just a couple of times during frshers and despite having aquantainces on my course I only have one real friend and he lives in a hall thats about an hours walk away.
I've never been hugely out going and I like it that way, I keep myself to myself despite having pretty good social skills so my big fear with potentially transferring accommodation is that I'll end up somewhere worse.
One final issue is that they are really lazy and never take out the bins or recycling, any ideas on how to solve this?

DO I just need to man up and power through, trying to make friends on my course? Or should I try a different approach?

Join a society and put some effort in....find a group on your course where you guys go and get lunch, etc it'll allow you a chance to bond
Original post by Iqbal007
Join a society and put some effort in....find a group on your course where you guys go and get lunch, etc it'll allow you a chance to bond

I'm doing that stuff, as I said I have quite a few acquaintances on my course, it's just that they're not there after lectures, they're literally miles away.
Grow some balls. They're foreigners not aliens you know.

Bloody hell...
Original post by BenLynch9
I'm doing that stuff, as I said I have quite a few acquaintances on my course, it's just that they're not there after lectures, they're literally miles away.

It will take time to click, use a common interest point to use to set up outings together.
Original post by lord jon
grow some balls. They're foreigners not aliens you know.

Bloody hell...

cheers jon mate

Quick Reply