The Student Room Group

Do STEP grades need to be declared?

I've been thinking about taking a STEP exam (probably STEP I) at the end of this year. In the extremely hypothetical case that I applied to Cambridge post-A2 (for physical natural sciences) and if I flopped STEP, would I still need to declare the STEP grade on UCAS? Thanks!
Reply 1
Technically it's a qualification (and certainly one you can declare on UCAS) so yeah I'd assume so. But your course isn't maths, so do they really need STEP??? The only non-maths course needing STEP I thought was my one (comp sci with maths) and that's got maths in anyway. Also, best of luck with STEP it's been hell for me so far...
Original post by TVIO
Technically it's a qualification (and certainly one you can declare on UCAS) so yeah I'd assume so. But your course isn't maths, so do they really need STEP??? The only non-maths course needing STEP I thought was my one (comp sci with maths) and that's got maths in anyway. Also, best of luck with STEP it's been hell for me so far...
TTh

They wouldn't need STEP, I want to do STEP for fun. My only worry is that if I do embarrassingly badly on STEP and apply post-A2, I don't want a terrible STEP grade tarnishing my application.
Reply 3
Original post by Chlorophile
TTh

They wouldn't need STEP, I want to do STEP for fun. My only worry is that if I do embarrassingly badly on STEP and apply post-A2, I don't want a terrible STEP grade tarnishing my application.

You'll learn the error of your ways :P
Nah they wouldn't really care, STEP is only relevant for maths, maybe parts of comp sci. They know it's the hardest pre-uni maths qualification. Also, have you considered doing the maths challenges instead? They're quite tough, more fun (IMO) and need less preparation. The senior maths challenge is on the first thursday after half term. Did you add STEP as pending on your application?
Original post by TVIO
You'll learn the error of your ways :P
Nah they wouldn't really care, STEP is only relevant for maths, maybe parts of comp sci. They know it's the hardest pre-uni maths qualification. Also, have you considered doing the maths challenges instead? They're quite tough, more fun (IMO) and need less preparation. The senior maths challenge is on the first thursday after half term. Did you add STEP as pending on your application?

I've done the maths challenges (six golds) but they're not really comparable to STEP. Senior maths challenge is waaaaay easier. And no, I didn't, because I didn't know whether or not I'm going to be doing STEP or AEA or both or neither.
Reply 5
I've done the maths challenges (six golds) but they're not really comparable to STEP. Senior maths challenge is waaaaay easier. And no, I didn't, because I didn't know whether or not I'm going to be doing STEP or AEA or both or neither.

Well done on those! :redface: It's certainly easier, but what about the later rounds? Or are you not really into competitive sorta maths (I think that's what it's like later?). It sounds like you'll have no problem getting a good STEP grade in STEP 1. Hell, even I have a good chance of getting a 2 in that and I'm (based on having only half of your maths challenge golds) quite a bit worse at maths than you.
Original post by TVIO
Well done on those! :redface: It's certainly easier, but what about the later rounds? Or are you not really into competitive sorta maths (I think that's what it's like later?). It sounds like you'll have no problem getting a good STEP grade in STEP 1. Hell, even I have a good chance of getting a 2 in that and I'm (based on having only half of your maths challenge golds) quite a bit worse at maths than you.

I got into the Intermediate Olympiad twice (did okay in one of them, bummed out in the other because I had like no sleep) and the Senior Kangaroo but I'm not a particularly competitive person and I've never taken them overly seriously. But thanks, I think I might go for STEP I.
Reply 7
I got into the Intermediate Olympiad twice (did okay in one of them, bummed out in the other because I had like no sleep) and the Senior Kangaroo but I'm not a particularly competitive person and I've never taken them overly seriously. But thanks, I think I might go for STEP I.

STEP 1 ain't *that* bad especially for someone who got into the IMO (:eek: I'm seriously jealous). My friend who's applying for Cambridge maths has never gotten past the kangaroo and he's doing really well on STEP questions. Hell, you could do step 2 and 3 and probably not struggle (unless you didn't take further maths - STEP 3 needs that). As long as you know what proof by induction is (usually in further maths) you'll do fine on STEP 1 or 2 (and probably get 'S's :biggrin:)
Original post by TVIO
STEP 1 ain't *that* bad especially for someone who got into the IMO (:eek: I'm seriously jealous). My friend who's applying for Cambridge maths has never gotten past the kangaroo and he's doing really well on STEP questions. Hell, you could do step 2 and 3 and probably not struggle (unless you didn't take further maths - STEP 3 needs that). As long as you know what proof by induction is (usually in further maths) you'll do fine on STEP 1 or 2 (and probably get 'S's :biggrin:)

Didn't get into the IMO - the Intermediate Olympiad is not the IMO, it's for Years 9-11, it's nowhere near as competitive as the IMO! I nearly qualified for the BMO in last year's maths challenge but not quite.
Reply 9
Didn't get into the IMO - the Intermediate Olympiad is not the IMO, it's for Years 9-11, it's nowhere near as competitive as the IMO! I nearly qualified for the BMO in last year's maths challenge but not quite.

Ahh I misread that my mistake! But you'll still probably ace STEP 1.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending