The Student Room Group

My tutor won't put my reference in until 15th January.

So I completely finished my application today, and my personal tutor had already approved my personal statement. When I got my e-mail through, it said to check with my tutor how long they would take with references. I asked her and her answer was "Well our deadline isn't until the 15th of January." and then when I told her that at the latest I wanted mine done by the end of this year, she just chuckled and avaided all other questions about the ucas process that i asked her. It's now half term so I have a week to wait at least, but once I go back, what should I do?
Am I within my right to ask for the process to be done further, especially since I handed it in way before the internal deadline?
how should I approach my tutor?
most importantly, if my college send off my application on the 15th January will my chances of getting offers be lowered?
Original post by LizzyD13
So I completely finished my application today, and my personal tutor had already approved my personal statement. When I got my e-mail through, it said to check with my tutor how long they would take with references. I asked her and her answer was "Well our deadline isn't until the 15th of January." and then when I told her that at the latest I wanted mine done by the end of this year, she just chuckled and avaided all other questions about the ucas process that i asked her. It's now half term so I have a week to wait at least, but once I go back, what should I do?
Am I within my right to ask for the process to be done further, especially since I handed it in way before the internal deadline?
most importantly, if my college send off my application on the 15th January will my chances of getting offers be lowered?

Technically your chances aren't lowered... However uni's do still give out offers before the deadline so an earlier application might mean earlier offers. Also if the average grades of applicants increase that year the uni might accept lower grades to begin with but then realise they are getting higher grades applying so higher their expectations (unlikely but I'm sure it's a possibility).

Just try and explain why you want it sent off sooner rather than later. I'm quite surprised tbh, I can't imagine your tutor has many references to write atm, so why she wants to leave it until the deadline is beyond me (since she'll probably have considerably more to write). If all fails keep nagging her to do it, maybe casually mention it around your head of sixth form (or headteacher or whatever is relevant :P). I'm sure they'd rather have it sent off asap too :P
the 'equal consideration ' deadline for none 15th October cut off courses is 15th Jan.

go and read your UCAS info again and stop being a petulent child
Reply 3
Original post by zippyRN
the 'equal consideration ' deadline for none 15th October cut off courses is 15th Jan.

wow what nice and helpful information.
Original post by LizzyD13

If you want to send it off early then why not............
Reply 5
Original post by k4l397
Technically your chances aren't lowered... However uni's do still give out offers before the deadline so an earlier application might mean earlier offers. Also if the average grades of applicants increase that year the uni might accept lower grades to begin with but then realise they are getting higher grades applying so higher their expectations (unlikely but I'm sure it's a possibility).

Just try and explain why you want it sent off sooner rather than later. I'm quite surprised tbh, I can't imagine your tutor has many references to write atm, so why she wants to leave it until the deadline is beyond me (since she'll probably have considerably more to write). If all fails keep nagging her to do it, maybe casually mention it around your head of sixth form (or headteacher or whatever is relevant :P). I'm sure they'd rather have it sent off asap too :P

yeah that's my plan, i think i will just bug her until it's done because i don't want to worry about it over christmas, and personally i don't think it gives a good impression if you hand in your application on the last day, and i know they shouldn't 'discriminate' but i've heard that some do :s-smilie:
Reply 6
I would recommend going and talking to your tutor again once school starts - they may have just been really stressed from it being the end of term and didn't want to deal with it at that time.
If that fails, I would say go and talk to your head of year. At my school, the reference includes comments from the tutor, three subject teachers and head of year so they will probably be involved somehow too!
Reply 7
Original post by zippyRN

Looool.

But yeah it isn't going to hurt your chances, just as likely to get an offer either way. In any case I'd go and talk to your head of year.
Original post by k4l397

:P

Sorry that is utter rubbish

at any time prior to the end of January your pending application is in one of three piles

" offer " , " wait and see " , " reject "

after the 15th Jan the HEI is open to review all the 'wait and see' and in theory fill it's places based on the best estimates (from historical data) of Offers given to places taken up

HEIs have decades of experience in making offers
(edited 9 years ago)
Your teachers will be absolutely exhausted as this time of year. I'm traveling home now to pass out for half term because I can barely stand because I am so tired. If one of my pupils had asked for anything this week I'd have probably thrown a book at them to make them leave me alone.

Go back at the start of term. Be polite, say you'd like to send it as soon as possible and see what the response is. If it's still not what you want then talk to your head of year. She knows there's a deadline to work to, she should know getting it earlier will make her life easier too so just wait it out for now and worry about it later.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending