The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Smash Bandicoot
Is this me again? :tongue: sorry!

Spoiler

Nah I don't talk to people, I just admire from afar :tongue: but thanks :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Having such a rubbishy time lately and I don't understand :frown: Can't wait to get back to uni!
on the way the airport. have a nice chirstmas everyone
I sent a text to my EIT support worker asking if they can help me ask uni for extra time in exams because i'm struggling with concentration and she replied saying "yes we can support you with that :smile:" and now i'm completely overthinking it and feel like she has said "NO, F OFF". Nothing in her reply implies that i'm a stupid fake annoying person does it =/
Just catching up on the thread and I have to say im pretty disappointed by some of the posts here. I don't know why people fixate on certain types of posts all the time? It just makes people feel unwelcome. Who cares if you don't like people posting about certain things? As long as its not hurting anyone else what the hell has it got to do with everyone else, and why do they deserve to be criticised? People post on here for a number of different reasons. Some don't want support and just need to vent. And if that means posting that they can't get out of bed then just let them. It doesn't affect anyone else!
Original post by Odd socks
I think part of it is you ask the same things over and over again and ignore any replies which don't back up what you think, and listen to the minority that agree with you

Posted from TSR Mobile

This. This. This.

I don't agree at all with how harsh others have been towards Smash but you and TLG have approached it in the correct way - imho.

X

For what it's worth. I don't think you're attention seeking or trolling in the slightest but your thought patterns are disconcerting? You desperately, desperately need help outside of TSR because there's absolutely no-one who posts here who could/can help you? :/
To try and spin a positive into here with all the negativity that has been posted recently

What's one good thing that's happened to you today?

Mines finally finishing wrapping presents up.
Spoilered cos it's just a dumb thing I'm proud of myself for :tongue:

Spoiler

Been with my partner for 5 years and he CANNOT deal with emotional support. It hasn't really bothered me before because I haven't needed it. But now I do. And it hurts that every time I start talking about something he'll just change the subject to something random. I don't even know if he realises he's doing it to be honest!

Seriously, he's a lovely man. He would do anything I asked him to do. Any time. It's just that I wish I didn't have to beg to be listened to! And I'd like some return conversation rather than just "yeah" or "right" while I'm talking.. followed by a complete subject change. And then he wonders why I get irritable. Ugh. It doesn't help that most of my friends are male, too, as I don't have girls to talk to really.
Original post by ScaryScience
Thank you for the kind words :hugs: How are you doing?

Alright today but bad an awful day Saturday, just never know how its going to be. Feeling any better or still ****?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jay018
To try and spin a positive into here with all the negativity that has been posted recently

What's one good thing that's happened to you today?

Mines finally finishing wrapping presents up.

I met with my friends unexpectedly as a last-minute pre-Crimbo meeting! I had an orange-flavoured hot chocolate :coma:

I had wrapped all my presents but on the way to meet my friends, I bought my dad a Nando's gift pack. So have to wrap that up now :yep:

Original post by lauraaaaa
Spoilered cos it's just a dumb thing I'm proud of myself for :tongue:

Spoiler

Not dumb at all. That's speedy stuff :eek:

It let me rep you! :eek: :king1: :yeah:
Just catching up on the thread and I have to say im pretty disappointed by some of the posts here. I don't know why people fixate on certain types of posts all the time? It just makes people feel unwelcome. Who cares if you don't like people posting about certain things? As long as its not hurting anyone else what the hell has it got to do with everyone else, and why do they deserve to be criticised? People post on here for a number of different reasons. Some don't want support and just need to vent. And if that means posting that they can't get out of bed then just let them. It doesn't affect anyone else!

I think it's because (and I have witnessed this in the ED sticky) if there is too much negativity then the society, already a home for vulnerable users mostly still in the middle of the illness (with the odd recovered/not relapsing person) can become a very dark bleak circle-jerk and it's hard to climb out once this happens.

Spoiler

Also some of us (including, by which I mean probably mostly, myself) are somewhat consciously aware that they are thinking 'wrong' and doing things 'wrong' which is holding them back in life, making them unhappy etc. but have not found out why so do them anyway. Other people (often the ones recovered or at a high point) give good advice about it.

For example it is absolutely true I have been asking the same question about eating cake or going to the gym since June 2011. See my post below.

I think the forum should be free for everyone, especially those who are most vulnerable. But it is nice to see the positive posts too.

Hope you're OK :hugs:

Original post by Deyesy
This. This. This.

I don't agree at all with how harsh others have been towards Smash but you and TLG have approached it in the correct way - imho.

For what it's worth. I don't think you're attention seeking or trolling in the slightest but your thought patterns are disconcerting? You desperately, desperately need help outside of TSR because there's absolutely no-one who posts here who could/can help you? :/

Thanks, Deyesy. I'm going to have to give some context to explain this.

Spoiler

Thank you for being kind towards me :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Been with my partner for 5 years and he CANNOT deal with emotional support. It hasn't really bothered me before because I haven't needed it. But now I do. And it hurts that every time I start talking about something he'll just change the subject to something random. I don't even know if he realises he's doing it to be honest!

Seriously, he's a lovely man. He would do anything I asked him to do. Any time. It's just that I wish I didn't have to beg to be listened to! And I'd like some return conversation rather than just "yeah" or "right" while I'm talking.. followed by a complete subject change. And then he wonders why I get irritable. Ugh. It doesn't help that most of my friends are male, too, as I don't have girls to talk to really.

I'm sorry to hear this. My friend is quite similar atm :smile: you can always talk to us-I would advise not me as, I am not in a good place atm :hugs:
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
I think it's because (and I have witnessed this in the ED sticky) if there is too much negativity then the society, already a home for vulnerable users mostly still in the middle of the illness (with the odd recovered/not relapsing person) can become a very dark bleak circle-jerk and it's hard to climb out once this happens.

Spoiler

Also some of us (including, by which I mean probably mostly, myself) are somewhat consciously aware that they are thinking 'wrong' and doing things 'wrong' which is holding them back in life, making them unhappy etc. but have not found out why so do them anyway. Other people (often the ones recovered or at a high point) give good advice about it.

For example it is absolutely true I have been asking the same question about eating cake or going to the gym since June 2011. See my post below.

I think the forum should be free for everyone, especially those who are most vulnerable. But it is nice to see the positive posts too.

Hope you're OK :hugs:

Thanks, Deyesy. I'm going to have to give some context to explain this.

I was Riku before Smash, for 3 years. I spent the first 18 months mostly on the Eating Disorder recovery thread, and for help on general social anxiety. Then I started using it for advice on chatting to girls, then my relationship…then found the Manosphere and PUAs which set me off an obsessive thread-loop. There's a continues theme of me using this forum as a crutch to avoid work (pathologically, as in get extensions/mitigating circumstances etc.) and any sort of life skill.

Around the time of my break-up I became obviously unhappy by and started pissing TSR off for little kicks.

Samba is somewhat right to yell at me for some of the stuff I do e.g. on Chat; Red Pill and even BB Misc ideology is triggering to MH sufferers. The BB approach to fitness and diet, 'aesthetics' etc., is absolutely triggering to ED sufferers. Some of it is misogynistic because of the time I've spent reading PUAs, my parent's divorce, my breakup and so on. I'm not very trusting of reships.

I'd say I've got anhedonia in my anxiety disorder. I enjoy TV and stuff, but still have little faith in where life is going, if these thought processes continue. I haven't figured out why I think this way, although I think part of the problem is I am even making these posts-ironically!

I'll be seeing NHS IAPT Step 4 Psychologies next year, the letter came through the post today saying I am definitely on the waiting list :smile: I don't know why CBT has failed me because I'm sure I'm a prime candidate for it! Perhaps I';m not using it properly.

I'm also going to write one of those FutureMe letters now, I'll be worried if this is still happening in a year.

Thank you for being kind towards me :smile:

Yes it's nice to see positive posts, but if someone posting that they feel so unwell they can't get of bed, then why criticise? Firstly it has nothing to do with anyone else, but also people shouldn't be posting for the pleasure of others or to make people 'comfortable'. we already have rules for peoples safety, to make people feel unwelcome for posting their feelings and trying to censor this does not align with the aim of the society.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JennB96
Alright today but bad an awful day Saturday, just never know how its going to be. Feeling any better or still ****?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Glad to hear you're doing alright. Fluctuating moods and emotions are a pain but I'm glad there are better days.
Yes it's nice to see positive posts, but if someone posting that they feel so unwell they can't get of bed, then why criticise? Firstly it has nothing to do with anyone else, but also people shouldn't be posting for the pleasure of others or to make people 'comfortable'. we already have rules for peoples safety, to make people feel unwelcome by posting their feelings and trying to censor this does not align with the aim of the society.

Well, I agree with you. If I felt otherwise I'd be a hypocrite to expect people to even talk to me here lol. I'm not the one censoring remember!

Not an attack, genuine query. I repeat I'm the one getting censored, and several others; I don't post enough to censor people.

edit: was going to post but unfortunately I am censored, that is what I say can and will be construed as manipulation and attention seeking by some…There I just did it. Just posted a manipulative comment trying to explain why I can't post comments. Impossible situation to do otherwise, from the way I think; my fault? Probably.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I met with my friends unexpectedly as a last-minute pre-Crimbo meeting! I had an orange-flavoured hot chocolate :coma:

I had wrapped all my presents but on the way to meet my friends, I bought my dad a Nando's gift pack. So have to wrap that up now :yep:

Well that sounds delightful :smile: had thought of trying one from Costa, but after a horrible experience with a Praline Cappachino i thought against it. But now regret it, hoping they still have them when I go back to college on the 6th.

Well I was procrastinating over mine, but finally did them, all i need to do now is be bothered to bring them downstairs XD
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Not dumb at all. That's speedy stuff :eek:

It let me rep you! :eek: :king1: :yeah:

It's taking slightly longer than expected, trying to re-jig it with the word count and stuff, but it will be finished in one day :woo:
oh god, it must be feeling ill :lol: it never lets me rep anyone!
Original post by Jay018
Well that sounds delightful :smile: had thought of trying one from Costa, but after a horrible experience with a Praline Cappachino i thought against it. But now regret it, hoping they still have them when I go back to college on the 6th.

Well I was procrastinating over mine, but finally did them, all i need to do now is be bothered to bring them downstairs XD

You should try it but only if you like Terry's Chocolate Orange and the like. I sometimes feel that orange chocolate is an acquired taste. My sister was semi-horrified when I she realised just how much I like it :teehee:

Sounds like you've been uber-organised! :yep:
Original post by lauraaaaa
It's taking slightly longer than expected, trying to re-jig it with the word count and stuff, but it will be finished in one day :woo:
oh god, it must be feeling ill :lol: it never lets me rep anyone!

Finished in one day is a huge achievement, so you should still be very proud of yourself! :yep:

I know what you mean :tongue: I sometimes fear the apocalypse must be coming when TSR actually LETS me rep people in MHSS, coz it's such a rare occurence :ninja:

Latest