The Student Room Group

so I went upstairs and cried...

because my little brother was asking me about someone in school to see if I knew him and I was like "what does his face look like" and he said "symmetrical-ish" and I said "most peoples' are symmetrical-ish (notice the ish)" and he was like "yeah but not yours, your's is really wonky" and it upset me that even my brother acknowledges my ugliness

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Your brother was just doing banter I believe.
bantarrr
Why did you listen to him? Hes only trying to wind you up because he knows he will get a reaction.

I blame social media and other media for this because people complain 24:7 that they want this and this would be perfect and this looks good and i look crap when that isnt the case.

For example, people may say omg i want her teeth.. But i bet if you did you would he shy to smile or wouldnt like to have such a perfection you still become nervous

Do NOT let it get to you. It is a waste f time and emotion crying over this. Ne andy sister go at war with each other.

Just completely ignore it, and he will sharp stop doing it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by scotttb
Your brother was just doing banter I believe.

Original post by rumana101
bantarrr

it weren't, I questioned him about it a bit (not aggressively, just as if I were mildy curiously confused about what he meant) and it was clear that he genuinely recognises my unaesthetic
Original post by louieee
it weren't, I questioned him about it a bit (not aggressively, just as if I were mildy curiously confused about what he meant) and it was clear that he genuinely recognises my unaesthetic

there is more to life than how you look
Original post by louieee

How old are you both may I ask?
Reply 7
Original post by louieee
because my little brother was asking me about someone in school to see if I knew him and I was like "what does his face look like" and he said "symmetrical-ish" and I said "most peoples' are symmetrical-ish (notice the ish)" and he was like "yeah but not yours, your's is really wonky" and it upset me that even my brother acknowledges my ugliness

Little brothers can be mean. Even though you are probably mature he is still young and probably sees you as a sibling rival at times. And what do sibling rivals do? Fight, name call etc.
My brother is like this too. Don't give him the satisfaction of knowing that he's wound you up or upset you. Just ignore him or walk away, he's just trying to provoke a reaction in you, let him know that it doesn't bother you. Also don't take what he says seriously,- try not to be intimidated by someone much younger. He's having a joke/picked it up at school from others/feeling insecure himself. You could laugh it off/have a joke with him- say something about him/explain to him calmly that it's unkind to make personal comments about people especially when they're not true :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by heavyhandscott
How old are you both may I ask?

Original post by jazjaz
Little brothers can be mean. Even though you are probably mature he is still young and probably sees you as a sibling rival at times. And what do sibling rivals do? Fight, name call etc.

Original post by VioletPhillippo
My brother is like this too. Don't give him the satisfaction of knowing that he's wound you up or upset you. Just ignore him or walk away, he's just trying to provoke a reaction in you, let him know that it doesn't bother you. Also don't take what he says seriously,- try not to be intimidated by someone much younger. He's having a joke/picked it up at school from others/feeling insecure himself. You could laugh it off/have a joke with him- say something about him/explain to him calmly that it's unkind to make personal comments about people especially when they're not true :smile:

guys you're not understanding, he didn't say it in a slightly mean way at all, he was just explaining his point and for once I could tell that he wasn't trying to upset me and he probably didn't realise that it would. All I'm bothered by is the fact that he (a 13 year old) notices my physical imperfections like that, when I didn't think close family members really picked up on each other's appearances too much. I know I'm ugly, but I didn't think that my brother would also acknowledge it and be able to objectively comment on my flaws without trying to offend me, the reason it upset me is because I didn't think my family members should really notice how ugly I am but now I know that they do
But how can you say what an imperfection is???

Just because you dont have a certain shaped eyebrow, or nose, or ear, doesnt make it an imperfection.. People need to know that its all OPINION. In truth, nobody is beautiful or ugly, just people THINK someone/something is.

You ARENT ugly and he isnt picking out 'imperfections' hes winding you up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Shouldn't get offended. He's probably just over-analytical of you because he's related to you, and sees you much more than anyone else - Kids can be cruel sometimes and lack any sensitivity. Plus a lot of the stuff they say is really utter sh!te, so don't take anything to heart.
Reply 12
Original post by heavyhandscott
But how can you say what an imperfection is???

Just because you dont have a certain shaped eyebrow, or nose, or ear, doesnt make it an imperfection.. People need to know that its all OPINION. In truth, nobody is beautiful or ugly, just people THINK someone/something is.

You ARENT ugly and he isnt picking out 'imperfections' hes winding you up

Posted from TSR Mobile

I literally am ugly though, in the opinion of everyone I know I am notably less than average and even completely objectively, genetically it's very clear to see I haven't done too well. He wasn't winding me up, when I asked him what he meant I could see on his face the realisation that he might've said something somewhat insulting so he kind of avoided answering me a bit.

Original post by High Stakes
Shouldn't get offended. He's probably just over-analytical of you because he's related to you, and sees you much more than anyone else - Kids can be cruel sometimes and lack any sensitivity. Plus a lot of the stuff they say is really utter sh!te, so don't take anything to heart.
Did you reply to me with a message? :smile:
Your face might be asymmetrical, but that doesn't mean necessarily ugly. :no:

And even if you are ugly, then please, DON'T let it control your life. Don't think about it, don't dwell on it. :no:

My nose is wonky thanks to being whacked in the face too many times as a kid, and I suffered crippling insecurities about it right through my teens. DON'T let your insecurity control you like I let mine do to me. There is so much more to life :h:
I have asymmetric ears. The left one sticks out more than the right one does and is misshapen.
Reply 16
Original post by High Stakes
Did you reply to me with a message? :smile:

ohhh I thought I did, guess not :/

Original post by Maid Marian

And even if you are ugly, then please, DON'T let it control your life. Don't think about it, don't dwell on it. :no:

My nose is wonky thanks to being whacked in the face too many times as a kid, and I suffered crippling insecurities about it right through my teens. DON'T let your insecurity control you like I let mine do to me. There is so much more to life :h:

there's so not much more to life though

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I have asymmetric ears. The left one sticks out more than the right one does and is misshapen.

no-one notices ears though
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

My right ear sticks out more. It's trying to reach your left one.
Original post by Maid Marian

The lion and the mouse, yes?
Original post by louieee

there's so not much more to life though

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending