The Student Room Group

a-level is brutal

i just finished my 6 week exams in a-level and in my of my subjects which was economics we had a test about 4 days ago. It was quite a difficult exam he said he wouldn't give this type of exam to second year i was like WTF. After i did the exam i felt strange i didn't think i did good or bad. 2 days after class got results and 40% was a pass. i got 55% was pleased and he let me in but the poor people who failed when ever they turned up to class the teacher was like your of the course bye, i was like that is a little harsh. The worse thing was he did not tell us we would get kicked out when we failed. Class went from full to half it feels so quiet, that is a good thing, kind of less people to teach and i can get more attention of teacher. But that is not the point. Some of the people that were kicked out i was friends with and 2 of them had 3 a-levels now they have 2 there's no point them carrying on. I would like to know how you found a-level in general. Hard, easy? Which a-level was your hardest?
I personally didn't find that A-levels hard at all. I don't know about anyone else in my school, but there was certainly wasn't anything like what you've described and no-one was ever kicked off a course. Perhaps it's the teaching which is crap where you are?
A-levels should be challenging, but not that hard.
Reply 2
A Level History. The experience of the dissertation on 19th century nationalism in the Hapsburg Empire literally made me lose touch with reality for 6 weeks. Worse than uni which was mostly me being a prat on TSR and getting extensions for it
yh i agree with you, but maybe its to stop them from wasting a whole year.
Reply 4
A Levels are all about perspective. I would advise you too pick up an economics book by someone like Paul Krugman, or merely follow the Economist. Once you will be seeing economic theory applied and in anction in the real world, the A-Level will seem like a piece of cake and even a bit pointless, really. As for your friends, I would suggest them to get their parents to complain to the school about being kicked off from economics after just 6 weeks. First of all, 6 weeks is not at all enough time to make such a judgement. Secondly, the decisions should be up to the student, with the teacher only being able to advise.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by philerus
A Levels are all about perspective. I would advise you too pick up an economics book by someone like Paul Krugman, or merely follow the Economics. Once you will be seeing economic theory applied and in anction in the real world, the A-Level will seem like a piece of cake and even a bit pointless, really. As for your friends, I would suggest them to get their parents to complain to the school about being kicked off from economics after just 6 weeks. First of all, 6 weeks is not at all enough time to make such a judgement. Secondly, the decisions should be up to the student, with the teacher only being able to advise.

i brought the alain anderton book
My sixth form kicked off a load of people, too. Luckily I passed economics, but I know others haven't and it's true, what's the point in carrying on when they only did 3 in the first place?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aristocats_
My sixth form kicked off a load of people, too. Luckily I passed economics, but I know others haven't and it's true, what's the point in carrying on when they only did 3 in the first place?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yh universities want at least 3 a levels
Reply 8
Original post by shayankurdboy
i brought the alain anderton book

No, I dont mean the alevel textbook, which is pretty bland and uninteresting. I'm talking about going to a bookstore and looking at the books in the economics section, eg paul krugman, joseph stiglitz, tim hartford, martin wolf, thomas picketty, daron acemoglu etc
(edited 9 years ago)
Physics was by far my hardest subject.

My sixth form never imposed polices as harsh as yours, but for oversubscribed courses (biology, psychology and photography mainly), teachers would give out double the normal amount of homework in order to encourage those who were less dedicated to drop the subject.
Economics is hard now, but soon it'll get easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest