The Student Room Group

Question about BTEC and Unis 2nd year

Hello,

Im currently doing an LEVEL 3 SUBSIDIARY DIPLOMA in IT AND Applied Science, for year 12 and year 13. If i come out with D* D* does this mean I can get an exemption and go into 2nd year of Uni? in UK/SCT. Also there is such thing as doing a Subsidiary Diploma for 2 years right? it doesn't change to Extended Diploma because I carried it on from year 12?. Also im doing 12 units in year 12 and year 13 this can definatley give me the option to further education right?:eek::smile:
Reply 1
According to the QCF and UCAS tariff, the Level 3 Diploma (consisting of 12 units) is equivalent to 2 A levels. If you achieve D*D*, then that is functionally equivalent to getting A*A* at A level.
Following from this, the Subsidiary Diploma is made up of 6 units so is worth 1 A level, and the Extended Diploma is 18 units making it worth 3 A levels. It is worth noting that most traditional students will end up with 3 A levels at the end of Year 13.

To answer your question, yes, you are able to pursue higher education at university with a BTEC diploma, however many of the top universities do not regard it as highly as traditional A levels and so you may put yourself at a disadvantage. You should check with the university department first though to see what their preferences are.

source: I did a BTEC diploma.
Reply 2
Original post by samsama
According to the QCF and UCAS tariff, the Level 3 Diploma (consisting of 12 units) is equivalent to 2 A levels. If you achieve D*D*, then that is functionally equivalent to getting A*A* at A level.
Following from this, the Subsidiary Diploma is made up of 6 units so is worth 1 A level, and the Extended Diploma is 18 units making it worth 3 A levels. It is worth noting that most traditional students will end up with 3 A levels at the end of Year 13.

To answer your question, yes, you are able to pursue higher education at university with a BTEC diploma, however many of the top universities do not regard it as highly as traditional A levels and so you may put yourself at a disadvantage. You should check with the university department first though to see what their preferences are.

source: I did a BTEC diploma.

Firstly, I would like to thank you for replying to my post. The one thing that I was still wondering, was that when i go into year 13 my BTEC will still be an subsidiary level 3 right? and also may i ask which university you are in or went to doing what course? :smile:
Reply 3
When you complete your six units in year 12, you get a subsidiary diploma. If you take another six units for year 13, your subsidiary diploma gets 'upgraded' to a diploma. This is similar to how AS levels gets 'upgraded' to an A level.

I did the BTEC Diploma in engineering, and am currently applying to university for mechanical engineering for 2015 entry. I have got two offers so far, including one from a RG. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending