The Student Room Group

I got my first PROPER car!

I just bought my first actual car. My first car, I just shared with my parent just to get to uni and back, then I tried to buy a car after that and it ended up knackered from some showroom joker when it came to the insurance box, but finally, after 2 years, I've managed to get my car done. First license being a foreign one (my dad worked for a UK company that did contracts abroad), then bought a little diddy car that had a massive big box under the front passenger carpet that turned out to be a prank (from someone who was later "relieved of their position"), I have just gone and bought a:

Nissan Qashqai 2.0 Auto Petrol, bought on silver but in the garage now for a "Matte Sparkle Platinum" paintjob - a light grey semi-matte coat that gives it a sort of shine-on-dull grey paint workover.

I don't know, but I think a Qashqai is a great first car - it'll last you a long time, there's loads of space to last you the years as you build your family, and it's super comfortable to drive.

So yeah, I'm chuffed to bits, but what do you think of a Qashqai as a first car?
Reply 1
It's definitely different to the usual first car - normally a small hatchback... but if it does the job, it's great! :smile:
Original post by XMaramena
I just bought my first actual car. My first car, I just shared with my parent just to get to uni and back, then I tried to buy a car after that and it ended up knackered from some showroom joker when it came to the insurance box, but finally, after 2 years, I've managed to get my car done. First license being a foreign one (my dad worked for a UK company that did contracts abroad), then bought a little diddy car that had a massive big box under the front passenger carpet that turned out to be a prank (from someone who was later "relieved of their position"), I have just gone and bought a:

Nissan Qashqai 2.0 Auto Petrol, bought on silver but in the garage now for a "Matte Sparkle Platinum" paintjob - a light grey semi-matte coat that gives it a sort of shine-on-dull grey paint workover.

I don't know, but I think a Qashqai is a great first car - it'll last you a long time, there's loads of space to last you the years as you build your family, and it's super comfortable to drive.

So yeah, I'm chuffed to bits, but what do you think of a Qashqai as a first car?

AWD or FWD?

My eldest daughter would love to have that one and nearly bought her one last Feb but instead decided to give her my Discovery and get myself something else.

What's with the paintjob?
Reply 3
Original post by Alfissti
AWD or FWD?

My eldest daughter would love to have that one and nearly bought her one last Feb but instead decided to give her my Discovery and get myself something else.

What's with the paintjob?

I love matte paintjobs, there's something so smoothy sleeky about it and I got quoted a good price as well, so I figured why not? :biggrin:

FWD
I love matte paintjobs, there's something so smoothy sleeky about it and I got quoted a good price as well, so I figured why not? :biggrin:

FWD

I had one as a rental about a month ago, the latest generation one (2014). Was annoyed for getting it at first (first choice was another car, which wasn't available), but was quite impressed by the end of my trip. Would now potentially buy one.

Did you buy new? And what year?
Reply 5
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
I had one as a rental about a month ago, the latest generation one (2014). Was annoyed for getting it at first (first choice was another car, which wasn't available), but was quite impressed by the end of my trip. Would now potentially buy one.

Did you buy new? And what year?

Second hand, 2008
Bit excessive eh? How old are you and how much did it cost you?
What's a car ?

FWD

I quite like matte finish as well. However I tend to prefer vinyls rather than paint as the finish can never be to my expectation.
Reply 9
Original post by Alfissti
I quite like matte finish as well. However I tend to prefer vinyls rather than paint as the finish can never be to my expectation.

Ah well I'm hoping that because there are no patterns or decals - it's just a full plain repaint - the chances of things going a little awry are quite slim, and my cousin works there and he had a repaint of his Ibiza and it looks class.

I'm hoping mine comes out similar to this, except a slightly lighter shade (and minus the funky rims!) And apparently it's not a completely flat paint - it's got tiny little sparkly bits in it so it'll have the effect almost like when condensation forms on the outside of a can with those tiny speckles.

(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest