The Student Room Group

My little brother threatened to kill me

Ok so I was having a heated argument with my little brother over something very trivial (he was playing shooting games on our mum's phone and I told him to get off it and do some maths) and he suddenly got very angry (physically attacked me and called me stupid) and then threatened to kill me! This isn't the first time he's said this either and he's very young (9 years old) so I was, as expected, very shocked.

I don't know whats happened to my little brother recently because all he seems to do now is come home demand and shout at our mum for food and then spend the rest of the day either playing video games on our mum's phone or going outside and play with his friends and coming back really late. He plays shooting/violent games on our mum's iphone and even though he's not allowed to play my PS3 I have seen him and his friends play COD on my PS3 without my permission.

He's disruptive, rude, argumentative, lazy and selfish. When we have dinner he hogs the food and puts as much as he can on his plate so no one else can have seconds. I just don't know what's happened to my once very sweet hard-working little brother. He still has moments when he's very well behaved but mostly when we're at home as a family he's incredibly rude (when guests are around he's well behaved).

I just don't know how to deal with this and my parents let him off the hook because when I was younger I was really docile and kind to people but because of that I was bullied and cried a lot (so I guess they don't want him ending up weak like me). I'm just at a lost for words... I'm leaving for university soon and I fear that he's gonna get even more out of control without my presence and the fact that he's nearing his teenage years just frightens me. Has anyone experienced something similar?
Put your foot down.

Also, ask this in the This Is Abuse section.
Interesting post.

My younger brother is 9 and he also has a bad temper. I have noticed his irritation is almost always triggered whenever he is playing on the iPad, PS3 or computer. For example, if a YouTube video is buffering for a long time or if he loses a video game, he becomes angry and upset pretty quickly and will occasionally swear.

On some rare occasions he has wished my younger sister dead (e.g. "I wish you were dead" or "I wish I didn't have a sister like you"), but this is only in the context of a very heated argument.
You're the older brother I'm guessing?

While you may have all the responsibilities, there are a few advantages...

Next time he thinks he's king of the house and tries to hit, put him in his place.

I'm 17 and my brother is 14, and I've got him in line. Only a 3 year difference between us, so it should be easier for you :smile:.

Start teaching him early and he'll know enough by the time he's a bit older.
Reply 4
Original post by donutellme

Next time he thinks he's king of the house and tries to hit, put him in his place.

I'm 17 and my brother is 14, and I've got him in line. Only a 3 year difference between us, so it should be easier for you :smile:.

This basically

It's weird, something that doesn't work as a parent... But as a sibling it's completely fine.

Imo, if he tries to hit you, hit him back. (Just don't uh sucker punch him or anything not quite like that, just in case).
Reply 5
if i had a little brother like that id punch him specially when hes behaving and being good :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
He plays shooting/violent games on our mum's iphone and even though he's not allowed to play my PS3 I have seen him and his friends play COD on my PS3 without my permission.

What the hell he is 9 man. You need to make sure he doesn't (especially if his mum doesn't want him to) even if that means taking a plug with you/hiding it although I am pretty sure through the settings - security settings and then parental control you can set up a passcode.
Lay down the law on him. Put foot down now!
yeahh playing games like that at such a young age can have that affect. You need to take control, especially if your parent's aren't.
Limit the time he's allowed to play video games and the violent ones aren't really good for kids anyway.
Encourage other activities, such as reading.
Bad behaviour => no games for the weekend - this will teach him that he needs to take responsibility for his actions and that such behaviour isn't allowed in the house. IF you don't do that, then expect a little brat around the house.
Take away the technology!
Reply 11
Original post by donutellme

Think its actually a girl.
And if you put you foot Down it couldmake thingd worse

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lots of boys that age are like this he will probably start to mature in about 3 years time
Hiya, I can completely agree. As we speak my brother is screaming his head off. He's 12 and had a complete dual personality. At school he acts so perfectly and gets on well with teachers and works hard, but when he gets home it's a different story. My dad had horrendous anger issues and would throw things like baby high chairs, toys, fruit etc at my mum and punch holes in walls until one night it was the worst. He got so drunk and I genuinely feared for my mums life, he shoved her and bruised all of her back and arm, at that point we had to get out so we ran to a familys house and called the police. It seems like my brother inherited his anger and is now threatening to kill all of us, he says it so much now it seems that phrase has because a part of his vocabulary. 2 weeks ago he physically assaulted me for the first time and punched me in the stomach after we were bickering. And tonight he has shoved my nan to the floor and threatened to knock her teeth out. He verbally assaults us calling me spotty, fat, ugly, worthless on repeat as well as other disgusting things to my family such as my nan, my mum and sister. But when my brother is in my dads presence he won't even dare to raise his voice. It is just a matter of time until he snaps and does something unthinkable, he will end up in jail when he's old enough if he keeps going this way. I completely feel for you and understand where you're coming from. It is never acceptable NO MATTER HOW ANGRY THEY ARE, it is not said out of anger! Threats to take a life is never just something said when you're angry. When normal people get angry or frustrated we usually storm out or say we don't want to see that person again, death threats is far from that. As he's 12 I don't feel like I could contact the police as there would be no punishment for someone his age other than a talking too, however when he reaches 15 and a similar situation occurs I will be audio recording it and contacting police. Just because someone is family doesn't mean they have to be in your life, a toxic family member is no family member. A stranger, I'm not going to hesitate to cut him from my life. He brings me immense misery, I am studying tirelessly to get the best grades and train to be an architect and i don't get recognition for my work because everyone is always worrying about my siblings and what they're not doing. Once I have a stable job hopefully in a few years and can move out and head to uni, I will have no contact with him. What was said is utterly disgusting and shameful.
It's possibly the influence of the games he plays. I suggest to put a limit or ban him from playing such games if it makes him violent
Original post by Anonymous
Ok so I was having a heated argument with my little brother over something very trivial (he was playing shooting games on our mum's phone and I told him to get off it and do some maths) and he suddenly got very angry (physically attacked me and called me stupid) and then threatened to kill me! This isn't the first time he's said this either and he's very young (9 years old) so I was, as expected, very shocked.

I don't know whats happened to my little brother recently because all he seems to do now is come home demand and shout at our mum for food and then spend the rest of the day either playing video games on our mum's phone or going outside and play with his friends and coming back really late. He plays shooting/violent games on our mum's iphone and even though he's not allowed to play my PS3 I have seen him and his friends play COD on my PS3 without my permission.

He's disruptive, rude, argumentative, lazy and selfish. When we have dinner he hogs the food and puts as much as he can on his plate so no one else can have seconds. I just don't know what's happened to my once very sweet hard-working little brother. He still has moments when he's very well behaved but mostly when we're at home as a family he's incredibly rude (when guests are around he's well behaved).

I just don't know how to deal with this and my parents let him off the hook because when I was younger I was really docile and kind to people but because of that I was bullied and cried a lot (so I guess they don't want him ending up weak like me). I'm just at a lost for words... I'm leaving for university soon and I fear that he's gonna get even more out of control without my presence and the fact that he's nearing his teenage years just frightens me. Has anyone experienced something similar?

It's possibly the influence of the games he plays. I suggest to put a limit or ban him from playing such games if it makes him violent and aggressive.
Gentle parenting leads to these results. Strap on your ass! Take it by the ear and take it to the corner of the room. Let the guy stand for an hour. Let him think about his behavior. The absence of a man in the family also leads to such behavior. Strict upbringing is necessary. Not too late. And you will wipe the snot and indulge his requirements. Further more. My opinion!

Quick Reply

Latest