The Student Room Group

Male to female ratio at the RAF?

Just wondering if anyone knows what the male to female ratio is?
Reply 1
Much better than in other services.... Raf chicks are always much better looking than pongo/wrens
Reply 2
Original post by tim_123
Much better than in other services.... Raf chicks are always much better looking than pongo/wrens

And far more willing to spread their legs for genuine war fighters rather than Guins.
Reply 3
Original post by NFI
And far more willing to spread their legs for genuine war fighters rather than Guins.

What on earth is a guin? Is that the raf equivalent to remf?

And yeh sometimes, although half of them just want a bit of pilot.

Funnily enough, every raf chick I know hates raf reg guys, so not too sure if your quite right there
Reply 4
Original post by tim_123
What on earth is a guin? Is that the raf equivalent to remf?

And yeh sometimes, although half of them just want a bit of pilot.

Funnily enough, every raf chick I know hates raf reg guys, so not too sure if your quite right there

A Guin is a non flying member of the RAF, excluding RAF Regt.

Originates from penguin, a non flying bird.
Reply 5
Original post by Envee

RAF has highest proportion of women in service of all the three services, something over 15% iirc. The Army has more women, but it is three times the size.
Reply 6
Original post by Envee

One question. Why?

If this is a query to establish the demographics for academic reasons, then a full breakdown of the UK Armed Forces by age, gender, rank and plenty of other sociological data has just been produced by whichever Defence Agency that deals with numbers and spreadsheets. This is all open source and is easily located online.

If, however, the question is to establish your chances for casual relationship purposes (as suggested by some responders), then I suggest that you and they require some serious moral re-calibration before you even think of joining the military. Some of the attitudes in the replies reinforce the stereotype of a macho, male dominated organisation and are the reason that so much emphasis is spent on Equality and Diversity training in the public sector. Which is a complete waste of many people's time (who already possess a strong value base) but is obviously necessary for others.

Think about it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Navy
3000 out of 33340 = 9.0%

Army
8010 out of 91800 = 8.1%

RAF
4910 out of 35520 = 13.8%

Government figures Jan 2014.
Reply 8
Original post by Ikaruss

If, however, the question is to establish your chances for casual relationship purposes (as suggested by some responders), then I suggest that you and they require some serious moral re-calibration before you even think of joining the military. Some of the attitudes in the replies reinforce the stereotype of a macho, male dominated organisation and are the reason that so much emphasis is spent on Equality and Diversity training in the public sector. Which is a complete waste of many people's time (who already possess a strong value base) but is obviously necessary for others.

Think about it.

Ikaruss, the stereotype of the military being a macho, male dominated organisation rings true because the military is exactly that, especially so in the combat/airborne/commando trades.

To use the public sector as an example of E&D is a moot point as there aren't many (if any?) civilian trades that specifically exclude females from applying.
Reply 9
Original post by NFI
Ikaruss, the stereotype of the military being a macho, male dominated organisation rings true because the military is exactly that, especially so in the combat/airborne/commando trades.

To use the public sector as an example of E&D is a moot point as there aren't many (if any?) civilian trades that specifically exclude females from applying.

NFI - don't quite get your argument there fella. What I'm talking about is respect for other people, regardless of mil / civvy environment. I'm well aware of the sort of conversations in Messes and Crewrooms, but there's a difference between sharing your schoolboy banter with like minded jocks in-house and sharing your banter with the world wide web, especially a forum where impressionable youngsters are looking for positive military role models.

All personnel should be treated fairly irrespective of race, ethnic origin, religion and religious beliefs, gender, sexual orientation or social background. Furthermore, the aim of the Royal Air Force’s Equality & Diversity Strategy is to achieve a diverse, operationally effective workforce in an environment free from harassment, intimidation and unlawful discrimination, in which all have equal opportunity and encouragement to realise their full potential. Diversity is, essentially, linked to equality and compliance with the law. Discrimination, harassment and bullying will not be tolerated in the RAF, either among Service or civilian personnel, as it undermines confidence, can affect mental and physical health, erodes morale and, as a consequence, damages unit cohesion and combat effectiveness.

What is Banter?

Behaviours that might be acceptable in the right environment at the right time, provided that they do not contravene RAF Core Values and Standards (AP1), that they contribute positively to team ethos, that they do not offend anyone (including third parties to the behaviours), and that the accumulative effect of any seemingly innocuous behaviours do not cross the line into the realms of bullying or harassment.

I wouldn't want you to get into trouble. Actions under the Equalities Act 2010 tend to get messy, both for the organisation, and the transgressor.
Looks like this thread has gone down a dark alley..! OP, the RAF is a mainly male environment. Certain trades attract a higher proportion of females to males (admin, medical for example) however this is just a generalisation. If you join you will work and mix with both sexes so I wouldn't bother worrying about it.
Reply 11
Original post by unruly1986
Looks like this thread has gone down a dark alley..! OP, the RAF is a mainly male environment. Certain trades attract a higher proportion of females to males (admin, medical for example) however this is just a generalisation. If you join you will work and mix with both sexes so I wouldn't bother worrying about it.

Hear hear Unruly! Probably time to put this pointless thread to bed.
Reply 12
Original post by Ikaruss
NFI - don't quite get your argument there fella. What I'm talking about is respect for other people, regardless of mil / civvy environment. I'm well aware of the sort of conversations in Messes and Crewrooms, but there's a difference between sharing your schoolboy banter with like minded jocks in-house and sharing your banter with the world wide web, especially a forum where impressionable youngsters are looking for positive military role models.

What is Banter?

I wouldn't want you to get into trouble. Actions under the Equalities Act 2010 tend to get messy, both for the organisation, and the transgressor.

You take the internet very seriously :biggrin:
Take it easy chaps, we've all had a few...

Quick Reply

Latest