The Student Room Group

Training contract with 2.2 but with proved academic ability?

Hi! I never found anything similar to my situation and I was wondering if anyone can shed some light as to what my chances of getting a TC are:

-2.2 first degree from uni
-LLM from King's College (1st)
-LLM from Columbia University (excellent grades)

I have worked in a large law firm, a medium sized law firm and a small local law firm (all in London). I am 100% sure that I want to go to a City international law firm as that is where I enjoyed working the most by far. As you can see, the 2.2 is holding me back. If there is anyone out there with similar circumstances or has any advice, I would appreciate it!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi! Thank you very much for your reply! I also have done some work experience and I am also applying for paralegal positions whenever I can find one.

Do you think applying for open days is as competitive as applying for TC and Vac Schemes?
Reply 2
I am also trying to get there through open days..thank you!
Try Clifford Chance's Intelligent Aid competition: http://www.cliffordchancegraduates.com/intelligent-aid/
Reply 4
Thank you!!
Original post by J-SP
I can think of at least 3 people I recruited at top firms with similar (although possibly not so extensive) academics to you.

One came through a paralegal route.

One came through an access/diversity programme.

The other had mitigating circumstances to their undergrad degree results.

But that's three out of 100s. It will be tough, but it isn't impossible.

You need to probably put in a bit more "work" to connect with the firms you are interested in and to ask them these questions directly. If it's not at recruitment events, call them up and ask them whether they think its worthwhile applying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For the A level boundaries are general studies accepted even if you have A* in it?:/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by J-SP
General studies is not usually considered by firm and most state their A-level requirements with "excluding general studies".

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually, I think "General Studies" is generally not accepted by the vast majority of firms. I was at my uni careers fair, not law fair, and all 25 companies attending apart from 3, expressly said that we don't require any particular A-level subjects, but we are unable to consider "General Studies".
Original post by J-SP
Doesn't surprise me at all.

Obviously a good general studies grade will look better on an application form for any job than a bad one, but the majority of law firms (and other sectors) are usually only concerned about your best three full A-levels grades (excluding GS) to meet any academic/UCAS points requirement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually, the only companies which I assume wouldn't mind with "General Studies" were companies which expressly said that they don't look at A-levels at all. They only want you to have a standard 2.1 or in some cases where the candidate is exceptional in terms of working experience they might accept a 2.2.

The only person I know who did "General Studies" and has landed a TC at a Magic Circle firm is a student in the year above me and that because she did more than 3 A-levels.
Original post by J-SP
I'm a bit confused as to what you are suggesting, but I think we are still in agreement.

Plenty of people take general studies as a subject though, so I reckon plenty of MC trainees have studied it but like your friend had another 3 subjects that took "priority" on an application.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, yes, we agree. I didn't say anything contradictory to your previous reply. I was just pointing out to the fact that the 3 companies I came across at the careers fair which didn't really care about A-levels, as they said, wouldn't really care if you took 'General Studies' exactly because they don't care about A-levels. Do you see what I mean?

But yes, if 'General Studies' is a 4th subject there really seems to be no problem as long as the other 3 subjects are core ones. And other than that acquaintance, I have also notice the same pattern in a handful of Linkedin profiles of trainees or trainees-to-be. All of them took 'General studies' in addition to their other 3 subjects.
Original post by GrandPessimist
Oh, yes, we agree. I didn't say anything contradictory to your previous reply. I was just pointing out to the fact that the 3 companies I came across at the careers fair which didn't really care about A-levels, as they said, wouldn't really care if you took 'General Studies' exactly because they don't care about A-levels. Do you see what I mean?

But yes, if 'General Studies' is a 4th subject there really seems to be no problem as long as the other 3 subjects are core ones. And other than that acquaintance, I have also notice the same pattern in a handful of Linkedin profiles of trainees or trainees-to-be. All of them took 'General studies' in addition to their other 3 subjects.

Were they big law firms that accepted it?.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There is a thread on ROF about this - it caused a fight, but then everything does on ROF - unless that was you posting there - the upshot was, yes it is possible to get a TC at a city firm with a 2.2 but they just don't crow about it, I believe

Original post by jeffbil99
Hi! I never found anything similar to my situation and I was wondering if anyone can shed some light as to what my chances of getting a TC are:

I have worked in a large law firm, a medium sized law firm and a small local law firm (all in London). I am 100% sure that I want to go to a City international law firm as that is where I enjoyed working the most by far. As you can see, the 2.2 is holding me back. If there is anyone out there with similar circumstances or has any advice, I would appreciate it!
Original post by lozasaurus99
Were they big law firms that accepted it?.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, it wasn't a law fair. It was a careers' fair. If I remember correctly only 6 of those I spoke to had individual legal departments and all stated that they won't accept 'General Studies'. So if they wouldn't accept it, I really don't think that any proper law firm would.
Reply 12
Hello, how did you get to Kings with a 2:2?
Original post by jeffbil99

I hope you don't me asking how you got into King's College for the LLM with a 2.2 when they ask for a high 2.1 average (65%). Moreover, how on earth did you get into Columbia University with those grades? The fact you got into those universities with those grades, albeit a distinction from Kings, makes as much sense as a law graduate with a 2.2 securing a training contract at a magic circle law firm...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Aspiring Lawyer
I hope you don't me asking how you got into King's College for the LLM with a 2.2 when they ask for a high 2.1 average (65%). Moreover, how on earth did you get into Columbia University with those grades? The fact you got into those universities with those grades, albeit a distinction from Kings, makes as much sense as a law graduate with a 2.2 securing a training contract at a magic circle law firm...

Son currently training at a MC firm , fellow trainee has a 2.2 and not great A levels - however owned and managed their own successful business ( quite a few like that ) so not unusual
Original post by J-SP
General studies is not usually considered by firm and most state their A-level requirements with "excluding general studies".

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are firms of the understanding the AQA General Studies and AQA Citizenship studies are two completely seperate courses? This bothers me because A lot of my co-workers and friends think it is but I know that exam boards classify these seperately with different grading requirements - the latter being more related to law, politics and policy.
Original post by J-SP
Yes - they are known as seperate courses. However, they are both not really seen as key A-levels when it comes to UCAS points/minimum criteria.

That is very unfortunate as I do not find the content similar at all. General studies focuses on critical thinking and communication skills. Whereas Citizenship studies focuses on application of current affairs to political theory, the English Legal System and contentious economical and sociological issues.

It's unfair that they are associated as such. If firms take that view they should be explicitly clear as to the exact a-levels they will not consider.

Quick Reply

Latest