The Student Room Group

Chemistry and Economics Personal Statement

Hi guys

Currently I am taking 3 A2 subjects, including Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, and applying for Economics in top 5 Unis.

Should I included Chemistry in my personal statement? Personally I don't want to as it is hard to find a particular link between these 2 subjects (apart from the kind of "improving data analyse skill", etc).

However my Head of Year, which us students refer to as a"PS genius", say that I must link Chemistry to Economics in my PS, if I don't want to be rejected.

My predicted is likely to be A*AA and my reference is good, so it is all down to the statement.

What should I do? :confused:
Original post by onlinekute17
Hi guys

Currently I am taking 3 A2 subjects, including Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, and applying for Economics in top 5 Unis.

Should I included Chemistry in my personal statement? Personally I don't want to as it is hard to find a particular link between these 2 subjects (apart from the kind of "improving data analyse skill", etc).

However my Head of Year, which us students refer to as a"PS genius", say that I must link Chemistry to Economics in my PS, if I don't want to be rejected.

My predicted is likely to be A*AA and my reference is good, so it is all down to the statement.

Then your head of year has no idea what he/she is talking about. I didn't include ANYTHING about chemistry (or physics) and got 5/5 offers. BTW did you do 4 AS levels? If you've only done 3 then you can't get into LSE or UCL IIRC
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mike_123
Then your head of year has no idea what he/she is talking about. I didn't include ANYTHING about chemistry (or physics) and got 5/5 offers. BTW did you do 4 AS levels? If you've only done 3 then you can't get into LSE or UCL IIRC

I have done 4 AS, but got a C in Unit 1 Econ :frown:
Gonna resit it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi guys

Do the top 5 even consider A2 FM as a third A-level? I thought they only accepted A2 FM as a fourth A2-level alongside Maths and two other traditional subjects... You may want to confirm that before going forward.

And don't overestimate the importance of the personal statement. Stellar academics are more important. You're not being predicted A*A*A* and messed up your economics AS so I'd be more worried about that to be honest. That and you're not taking economics to A2 level which would be worrying for admissions tutors as it suggests a) you didn't enjoy it or b) you struggled in it

In your PS focus on economics entirely. You could mention the applicability of chemistry but keep that literally to one sentence, two at a push. It's not really relevant at all.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ParetoOptimum
Do the top 5 even consider A2 FM as a third A-level? I thought they only accepted A2 FM as a fourth A2-level alongside Maths and two other traditional subjects... You may want to confirm that before going forward.

And don't overestimate the importance of the personal statement. Stellar academics are more important. You're not being predicted A*A*A* and messed up your economics AS so I'd be more worried about that to be honest. That and you're not taking economics to A2 level which would be worrying for admissions tutors as it suggests a) you didn't enjoy it or b) you struggled in it

In your PS focus on economics entirely. You could mention the applicability of chemistry but keep that literally to one sentence, two at a push. It's not really relevant at all.

As far as I know only Maths is needed for the top 5. The others is up to me.
And the reason why I don't take A2 econ is because it clashes with my AS Chemistry on the timetable. :frown:
Did Maths, FM, Economics, Chemistry for A Level.

Received offers from LSE and UCL to study Economics.

Only mentioned Economics in my personal statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As far as I know only Maths is needed for the top 5. The others is up to me.
And the reason why I don't take A2 econ is because it clashes with my AS Chemistry on the timetable. :frown:

I don't understand - haven't you already done AS Chemistry?

Anyways, the larger issue is that you obviously haven't researched carefully enough.

From the LSE BSc Econ page:

Programme requirement: A level Mathematics is required. A level Economics is not essential. Further Mathematics taken at A level is strongly preferred and is seen as an additional or fourth subject. Thus a combination of Mathematics, Further Mathematics and one other subject is not seen as providing the required breadth of knowledge and skills. No other specific subjects are required at A level, but we prefer traditional academic subjects to subjects such as Communication Studies, Accounting, Business Studies or Media Studies.

I can confidently assume it's the same situation for Oxbridge, Warwick and UCL

Anyways, the larger issue is that you obviously haven't researched carefully enough.

Programme requirement: A level Mathematics is required. A level Economics is not essential. Further Mathematics taken at A level is strongly preferred and is seen as an additional or fourth subject. Thus a combination of Mathematics, Further Mathematics and one other subject is not seen as providing the required breadth of knowledge and skills. No other specific subjects are required at A level, but we prefer traditional academic subjects to subjects such as Communication Studies, Accounting, Business Studies or Media Studies.

I'm doing the 18 months Chemistry program. Have done half of the AS and will finish the other half alongside with A2.
I don't think the same thing apply to Warwick and UCL. My friends study Maths, Furthers Maths and Econ got offers from these two.
But he is rejected by LSE.
(edited 9 years ago)

I'm thinking about writing work experience in my PS (I have ran a small businesses for a while), but I'm not sure how to put it down.
Do you have any advice?
I'm doing the 18 months Chemistry program. Have done half of the AS and will finish the other half alongside with A2.
I don't think the same thing apply to Warwick and UCL. My friends study Maths, Furthers Maths and Econ got offers from these two.
But he is rejected by LSE.

Alrighty. Maybe you could tell the admissions tutors about the timetable clash which prevented you taking economics... it may not be an issue, but if I was an admissions tutor I'd be sceptical of someone who was applying for economics, yet had dropped it after AS. It'd probably look better if you hadn't even taken it in the first place!

I'm thinking about writing work experience in my PS (I have ran a small businesses for a while), but I'm not sure how to put it down.
Do you have any advice?

Running a small business is far more relevant to an economics PS than chemistry. Definitely include that. You can talk about:

- how running the business has enhanced your transferable skills (organisation, business acumen, initiative and dedication to high quality work)
- how running the business has increased your interest in economics and how you're looking forward to exploring its applicability to how businesses operate. Maybe mention a business economics book you've recently read, or a relevant lecture you've attended.
Alrighty. Maybe you could tell the admissions tutors about the timetable clash which prevented you taking economics... it may not be an issue, but if I was an admissions tutor I'd be sceptical of someone who was applying for economics, yet had dropped it after AS. It'd probably look better if you hadn't even taken it in the first place!

Running a small business is far more relevant to an economics PS than chemistry. Definitely include that. You can talk about:

- how running the business has enhanced your transferable skills (organisation, business acumen, initiative and dedication to high quality work)
- how running the business has increased your interest in economics and how you're looking forward to exploring its applicability to how businesses operate. Maybe mention a business economics book you've recently read, or a relevant lecture you've attended.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion.
Should I call you a PS genius :P

Quick Reply