The Student Room Group

Do you suffer from any sort of OCD?

Just wondering :smile:.

I will say i have to make sure the labels in the cupboard are facing forward and the Tv has to be on a even number.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That's not OCD. It's a little disrespectful to say that something as little as that is OCD. OCD is traumatic and severely affects quality of life.
Reply 2
Original post by suirrel
That's not OCD. It's a little disrespectful to say that something as little as that is OCD. OCD is traumatic and severely affects quality of life.

Yes, it is. It's just not a severe OCD. It's not disrespectful at all.

Yeah I have some OCD's, same end in 5 or 0 for volume and I have a weird obsession with capital letters correctly placed but that's probably more of me being a Grammar Nazi than OCD lawl
I don't suffer OCD, but my eating disorder definitely makes me obsessive and compulsive with certain things. My biggest compulsion is staying under 900 calories. Im currently on 800 calories. I can go up to 1000 or even 1200 if I know I won't be leaving my house for a couple of days (that is, in case I gain water weight - if I don't gain then I'm fine) and if I plan to eat that much. To break a plateau I have to calorie cycle, so I'm fine with eating that much if it's for the sake of my weight in the long run! Same thing with counting macros - I can't have more than 80g net carbs. At least, I think I can't. I've been low carb for so long, tomorrow will be my first time in god knows how long where I try to attempt 80g carbs. I'm freaking out! I might go keto soon so god help me when I wanna come out of that!

Between 2011 and 2012 I was addicted to exercise. That was veeerrryyy OCD-like - moreso than my dietary "habits". Before my sister got married (in 2011) we shared a room together. I remember countless nights when I would strive to work out silently while she was asleep. I had to work out every single day. I couldn't let just one day pass where I didn't work out. It was worse when I was on the verge of bulimia in 2012 where working out was my purging method. Hmm, now that I think about it, I probably displayed the most OCDish behaviours during that time because I couldn't rest if I didn't burn at least 500 calories a day. If I had cousins over then I couldn't work out. If I couldn't work out then I would clean for hours and hours, until my calorie thing told me that I had burnt 500 calories.

Hmm, interesting. After a quick search on Google I came across a study that said anorexia is a manifesation of OCD. I can definitely see why that is. My biggest compulsion ever, ever, ever is checking my weight every single day. Just that could probably have me diagnosed with OCD. If I'm feeling bloated and I'm unable to weigh myself then I'll measure myself, but if I feel like measuring myself isn't good enough on that particular day then I'll refuse to leave my house. If I have to leave my house for uni then I'll go in wearing some massive hoodie or cape or something to cover my back and belly. In order to feel like I'm getting an accurate reading I have to have a minimum of 6.5 hours of sleep. If I don't get that then I don't weigh myself and everything I just mentioned happens. I used to only measure myself with a measuring tape until I realised I was an inch off and that it's easier to weigh myself because I get to see the numbers go down. In the last 3ish weeks I lost about 13lbs, but in the last 10 days I gained about 3lbs. My result on the scale determines how that day will go for me and whether or not I'll be calm/happy. When I'm having a **** day, the one thing that keeps me feeling okay (after my nephew!) is knowing that my weight has gone down. Fixating on my weight and having behaviours like this is sort of like a coping mechanism for me - I do it to distract myself from thinking about the other **** I'm dealing with in life. Like, recently I broke up with my boyfriend and when that happened I knew I wouldn't be able to stop thinking about him and feeling **** about our situation so I made myself research keto and consider going low carb because I knew that would make me fixate on food/my weight even more than I already do so it would distract me from thinking about him/us, especially now that I need him more than ever because **** might hit the fan with my family next week if my cousins come to stay at my house. (I hate my cousins and their presence always screwscrews with my relationship with my family. I used to use my boyfriend as an escape, but I can't do that anymore, so now I have to use my eating disorder. :frown:)
Yep.
Reply 5
I have to check a door is locked multiple times. Even though I know from checking it once that I locked it, I still check the handle another 3 or 4 times.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have OCD, mostly obsessional for 9 years now, it's not something to laugh at or make jokes about it controls your whole life, sure you might like labels pointed forward or be a very tidy person that is not OCD, ocd is where you obsess over a disturbing thought, so you have to do a ritual to cleanse it for instance, I would think about pushing someone in front of a car or hitting someone who was annoying me, it was just a thought an unpleasant one, I'd never do that but in my OCD brain that makes it disgusting, I'd sit there worrying about it for hours, getting stressed and I'd have compulsions, repeating phrases, searching the internet & basically punishing myself to relieve the anxiety only last year did my symptoms improve, I didn't have a life, too scared to go out, too worried about what people thought of me, because of the intrusive thoughts I sat in my room for 2 years rarely venturing out, because of the OCD & social anxiety, I sound crackers but proper meds and relaxation techniques have made me feel 10x time better I still have flare ups every once in a while, but they arent as bad and I can manage them,.
There's a difference between "I have to switch off empty plug sockets because they really bug me otherwise" and "I have to switch off empty plug sockets or I can't relax all day and worry that my house is going to set on fire and have to find an excuse to leave work so I can go home and check again that all my plug sockets are turned off." The difference being one is a personality quirk and the other is a serious mental condition.

Personally empty plug sockets do bug me. And sometimes I turn them off to feel better. But I would never call it OCD; it's just a habit. But if someone said I couldn't turn the plug socket off for some reason it wouldn't really ruin my day. It's when that habit (or not being able to complete that habit or complete it 'correctly') starts to have an impact on your mental wellbeing that it is then a true compulsion.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yes, volume level must always be a multiple of 5 or 2. :colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
As part of my anxiety disorder I have disturbing intrusive thoughts: typically violent, sexual, religious or supernatural. All are extreme and some are real taboos.

Of the less extreme obsessions, in the past 2 years I have developed what I call 'man up OCD', which is not for certain an OCD but really rumination over having to uphold.the stoic masculine stereoyype that stigmatises me for having mental health problems in the first place. The same goes for what I call the 'mum worry' which is post eating disorder guilt for healthy lifestyle and being into fitness, as well as ongoing health anxiety-related obsessions in nutrition.

Left untreated intrusive thoughts can really ruin your life and your confidence, don't take them lightly.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Complex solution
Yes, volume level must always be a multiple of 5 or 2. :colondollar:

Me too! :tongue:
Reply 11
Not at all
I would have posted earlier but I had to turn my computer on and off 6 times otherwise I wouldn't have been able to concentrate.
I'm a little strange, in that I have the compulsions without the obsessions, so I don't know what that means. I sometimes feel as though I have to tap things in a certain way (or if I tap something by accident I have to do it again to make it an even number) but I don't know why I have to do it. I don't obsess that certain specific things will happen if I don't, or indeed that anything bad will happen at all, I just don't feel comfortable, or complete, until I have done what I needed to do.

I don't feel comfortable with the TV volume on an uneven number. If I know that's the case, I won't enjoy whatever I'm watching because I will l be conscious that it's making me feel strange. But I don't think that bad things will happen because of it, other than me feeling uncomfortable of course.

I think for me I have more slight anxiety than OCD.
I look under my bed for monsters before I sleep
Reply 15
Original post by Spock's Socks
I have to check a door is locked multiple times. Even though I know from checking it once that I locked it, I still check the handle another 3 or 4 times.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do that as well. 4 times i have to do it xD.
Reply 16
Or anxiety then. can not edit thread name.
(edited 9 years ago)
No.

Spoiler

Reply 18
I also didnt claim what i do is ocd i just created the thread as i was watching the OC cleaners so wondered whether there where many TSRians with OCD.
Pretty much got the stereotypical handwashing version I count how many times the soap has gone over each side of my hand and the water and when it has gone over each side of cutlery that I wash before eating.Before I eat I must wash each side of my hand 4 times each 8 times in total at least and the same with the cutlery, when I go to the toilet for a poo its 20 times.

Quick Reply

Latest