The Student Room Group

Giving good customer service

Suppose that a customer were to walk into a book store and ask an adviser the location of a particular book; to which the adviser politely asked the customer to follow them to its location, in their stride, only to find that it is missing. At which point the adviser apologizes to the customer for any inconvenience, then asks them would they like to go to the checkout where they will perform a stock check on the book to see if it has been misplaced somewhere else, or is out of stock. The book is out of stock.

At which point, in what order, should I, as the sales adviser, take the customer's contact details telling them that I will notify them personally when the book is in stock, phone local stores to see if any of them have it in stock, suggest that they order online, suggest an alternative book they might like, and suggest any special offers.

Am I right in my thinking that I should if the book is out of stock in my store, in order of priority:

1) Phone local stores to see if any of them have it in stock.
2) take their contact details and notify them personally when the book is in stock
3) Suggest that they order online
4) Suggest an alternative book they might like
5) Suggest any special offers should they make a purchase.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply