The Student Room Group

what does it mean on uncas personal statements charcters? and lines

hellooo

i need help with personal statement
Can you be a bit more specific about what you need help with?
Reply 2
A character is something that you press on your keyboard. So A is a character, as it is a letter. 2 is also a character. But other things that are not letters and numbers are also characters - punctuation is, so a comma is one character. Spaces used is another.

So when UCAS asks for 4000 characters maximum, it means you need to count every key you have pressed as one character. Word and other software will count these for you - but make sure you use the option that is "including spaces".

A line is something that has a character on. So obviously, the bits with writing on are lines. Imagine when you're writing by hand, you'll write on one line and then when you're finished you move to the next. However, any blank lines that you leave between paragraphs are also lines as they have the blank "space" character on.

So you need 47 lines in total. This is any written on,and any used but not written on. Generally, people will hit the line limit before the character limit.
Reply 3
Original post by Juno
A character is something that you press on your keyboard. So A is a character, as it is a letter. 2 is also a character. But other things that are not letters and numbers are also characters - punctuation is, so a comma is one character. Spaces used is another.

So when UCAS asks for 4000 characters maximum, it means you need to count every key you have pressed as one character. Word and other software will count these for you - but make sure you use the option that is "including spaces".

A line is something that has a character on. So obviously, the bits with writing on are lines. Imagine when you're writing by hand, you'll write on one line and then when you're finished you move to the next. However, any blank lines that you leave between paragraphs are also lines as they have the blank "space" character on.

So you need 47 lines in total. This is any written on,and any used but not written on. Generally, people will hit the line limit before the character limit.

Thank you, so if do more than 47 lines, ucas wont expect it
?
and also i heard u can only write 600 words. We can write less than 4000 characters,right?
so check how many lines, i have to count it?
so that means that ny sentence will pretty much be all together. No paragraph lol
Reply 4
Original post by raq123
?
and also i heard u can only write 600 words. We can write less than 4000 characters,right?
so that means that ny sentence will pretty much be all together. No paragraph lol

When you do a word count using Word (or other software) it will tell you how many lines you have. Most people find this differs to the UCAS count, so once you think you're getting close you can paste the statement into your UCAS form and UCAS will tell you how many lines you have used.

You will be unable to submit your UCAS form if you have over 4000 characters or 47 lines.

You can use as many of these 4000 characters or 47 lines as you wish. If you want to submit a statement consisting of only 100 characters you can do so. However, most people find that they need to use most of the character count in order to fit in everything that they wish to say.

It is best to leave blank lines between paragraphs. It is much easier and nicer for the admissions tutors to read if you do so.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by raq123
?

If you write a statement with more than 47 lines or 4000 characters the end will be cut off.
IIRC you have to write at least 100 characters, but most people find it hard to cut down to 4000 so that shouldn't be a problem.
You can write more than 600 words.
I advise you paste your statement into ucas to check the number of lines/characters.
Reply 6
Yh that good idea . I gonna do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending