The Student Room Group

Question for girls

I've heard from many many girls that one of the most attractive things in men is when they can make them laugh. Is that really true or it bull**** girls say to avoid being seen as "shallow"?

P.S. I understand that you want to be friends with people who are funny. That's not the question ofc.
It's true.:colone:
Reply 2
I'm always attracted to the guys who can make me laugh. Looks are an added bonus, but then again I look past this if he's hella funny.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Of course. We like laughing. It makes sense that you'd want a potential partner for life to be funny.

Can't imagine spending decades with someone who isn't funny.
Reply 4
Well, I don't see it as a main priority in a guy.
But it definitely is an attractive and positive feature, so yeah, it's natural to like guys like that :smile:
Trueee :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by DeceitfulDove
Of course. We like laughing. It makes sense that you'd want a potential partner for life to be funny.

Can't imagine spending decades with someone who isn't funny.

I am not certain that girls refer to a "potential partner for life". I wouldn't think that is weird. It's solely to do with attraction. It is certainly desirable to be in a lifelong relationship with someone who's funny, who's not boring, maybe shares the same interests as you, etc. But I wouldn't call those things "aphrodisiacs" and I wouldn't really say that they increase the attractiveness of a girl.
Original post by Anonymous
I am not certain that girls refer to a "potential partner for life". I wouldn't think that is weird. It's solely to do with attraction. It is certainly desirable to be in a lifelong relationship with someone who's funny, who's not boring, maybe shares the same interests as you, etc. But I wouldn't call those things "aphrodisiacs" and I wouldn't really say that they increase the attractiveness of a girl.

I have to argue the other way. The aphrodisiacs are those things that you might find exciting at first but that initial falling in love feeling changes to a different state. The other stuff you mentioned is much more important long term. You only spend so much time having sex. You better hope the rest of the time you spend together is amazing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's one factor of many. In my (limited) experience:

1. Initial interest in a partner is almost entirely aesthetics and charisma.
2. Girls are also often attracted to dominance, so charisma often comes before looks. Making people laugh can be a manifestation of this, but it's really about confidence*.
3. As you get to know them, it becomes more about personality. Many people will have experienced the phenomenon where, as you become attracted to someone, they actually seem to look better / you become more attracted aesthetically too.
4. I would say the ability to make you laugh (as opposed to other people) comes quite late on. It's more of a 'friendship' quality - something you look for in a lifelong partner. This may be personal preference.

*It's also been shown that how other people perceive your potential partner has a massive effect on how you perceive them. There was some kind of study where the same guy was shown to two groups of girls (individually). With one group he had a friend compliment him during the introduction, and with the other he had a friend ignore him / act cold. You can probably guess the results. I can't find the link though.
Reply 10
You can definitely laugh you way in to bed. That's how an ugly bastard like Frank Skinner has been so successful with women. Or so he alleges. I reckon it's true.
Reply 11
Its an attractive trait but I wouldn't find someone attractivejust because they were funny.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Trust me it's true! This guy I had a crush on wouldn't be considered amazingly attractive, but his sense of humour and ability to make me genuinely laugh made him even more attractive.
Reply 13
Being funny is important but it's more about the way your humour bounces off the girls humour. For example, I know some side-achingly funny guys but they're funny because they make lots of jokes, but for me, I don't want to be with someone forever if they are going to make jokes ALL THE TIME.

Girls find guys attractive cause they work so well together - funny is just a factor :smile:
Definitely. In fact, I can imagine being attracted to somebody solely because they can make me laugh, regardless of their looks.

Quick Reply