The Student Room Group

Student Finance way less than I expected...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheDoubleTap
I asked my mother earlier and she said she wasn't sure of an exact figure at that time but that it's definitely less than 40k per year.

No point contacting SFE unless you know your parents' earnings exactly, with evidence.
Reply 21
Original post by balotelli12
No point contacting SFE unless you know your parents' earnings exactly, with evidence.

You can ring and ask to be income-assessed without that info. The detailed calculations will take place once parental income information is supplied in writing/online. SF won't give an estimate on the phone - that's what the online calculator is for.

You don't have to know exact parental income to request a re-assessment. The OP should phone SF asap and request an income-based re-assessment.
Did you ask to be income assessed and were you asked for evidence?
I spoke to the lady on the phone today and she told me they sent me a letter asking for my parents' financial information, but I didnt get a letter and when I checked my correspondence, there was no mention of such a letter, despite this I went forward intending to do as instructed, so i created an account for my mother and selected to support a student's application but I cant find myself on there, when I input the information I don't show up, why is this? Do I need to reapply? Why didnt I just get the blooming letter in the first place, this is so frustrating.
Reply 24
Original post by TheDoubleTap
I spoke to the lady on the phone today and she told me they sent me a letter asking for my parents' financial information, but I didnt get a letter and when I checked my correspondence, there was no mention of such a letter, despite this I went forward intending to do as instructed, so i created an account for my mother and selected to support a student's application but I cant find myself on there, when I input the information I don't show up, why is this? Do I need to reapply? Why didnt I just get the blooming letter in the first place, this is so frustrating.

If they sent a letter, then it should be available online. As it isn't, it suggests the letter was hever generated. Call SF back and ask them to generate and send the letter again. That way you'll be going through the full process. You may not be able to set up the assessment if the system thinks you're not going to ge incone-assessed yet.
Are you sure your parents haven't had a letter or email? I get emails from Student Finance saying something like student... has asked for an income based assesment so we need you to supply income information. If your parents do tax returns it's pretty easy to supply the figures. Make sure they keep a record of passwords as it's a great pain next year if they dont. Both parents need to submit information if you live with both of them. From bitter experience they will then tell the parents nothing more is needed and the student that the data hasn't been submitted and it will take hours on the phone (a lot of it waiting for someone to be free to talk to you) before they will confirm that they actually have all they need and have had it for weeks.

There are frequent errors in student finance assessments but if you manage to speak to someone on the phone they can normally be sorted out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending