The Student Room Group

Dilemma, what on earth do I do?

Alright so here's my situation :frown: (Sorry this is quite long)

I'm currently doing AS-Levels in Computing, History, English Literature and Government & Politics.

For someone who wants to do Computer Science, excluding Computing my A-Levels are very irrelevant. My mistake of course, as I decided to not do Maths or even something like Product Design or Psychology which may be completely different from Computing but still closer than Politics and the like. So the issue is subject choice rather than capability - as I'm coping fine in all my subjects.

No doubt about it I'm dropping Politics after half term and doing 3 AS-Levels. It's irrelevant, and doesn't interest me nor will it be in any way beneficial for me. It's too late to change to another subject, and I wouldn't want to do so anyway since it's so late into the year and I wouldn't be able to catch up.

So my options are:

Option 1 - Do AS Computing, History, English and then do A2 Computing, History, English and AS Maths (not leading to A2). Good option, however would only have an AS in Maths but would do the traditional 2 years. Subjects still hardly touch Comp Sci applicant level though still better than now.

Leads to A-Level Computing, History, English and AS Maths. Good set but not that strong, if Maths AS f***s up I'm screwed.

Option 2 - Do AS Computing, History, English and then do A2 Computing and English and AS Maths and another AS in something such as Product Design and then spend a third year at college doing A2 Maths, A2 Product Design and another AS in the third year like Psychology or whatever (college requires a minimum of 3 subjects). Issue is having to spend an extra year which could be a disadvantage for uni applications and also I'm unsure if I'd be able to do Maths to A2 level.

Leads to A-Level Computing, Maths, Product Design, English and AS History, AS Psychology. Much stronger - but not sure what I'd do again if Maths f***s up.

I haven't chosen Biology, Chemistry or Physics through out this as I need a BB to do Science A-Levels and I only have BC. My college also offer A-Level Graphic Communication (Photoshop etc) which I'm also considering.

What should I do? Is an AS in Maths good enough? Would I need a full A-Level? Any other suggestions over what route I should take?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
carry on with gov-pol, unis want to see 4 AS's.
have a look at UCAS, do ALL universities want maths?
drop govpol in year 13 and take up AS maths.
if it's REALLY necessary then take a gap year and finish A2 maths.
Reply 2
Some uni has no requirement for CompSci but many 'better' unis want maths or physics. Best ones even want further maths...but I assume you aren't aiming for these.

Take maths up to A2 to be safe. Drop politics, take computing, maths and history/english to A2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can't you drop politics now and start AS maths? I started a new subject around this time last year when I was doing ASs. Even if the school won't let you change to maths, you could learn it on your own. Also, some unis want you to have an AS level as well as three A2 levels.
What kind of an institution are you expecting to get into? If you'd be happy with somewhere like Kent, you wouldn't even need AS Maths. If you want to set your sights higher though, you really do want a full A2 in Mathematics - most of the top 25+ are going to want A2 Mathematics. Is there absolutely no way you could possibly do AS Maths this year? It's possible that it wouldn't work timetable-wise and I'm not going to lie, it will be very difficult to pull yourself up to everyone else's level when you've lost an entire half term. But that really would be the best option because you'd end up with two relevant A2s (plus another facilitating subject if you continue either History or English Lit).
Reply 5
You could also start self teaching AS maths this half term and go to the person who's in charge of these things and show him how much you've done on your own, which will hopefully prove your enthusiasm and willingness to catch up for bigger dream

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the help guys

Original post by ingy
carry on with gov-pol, unis want to see 4 AS's.
have a look at UCAS, do ALL universities want maths?
drop govpol in year 13 and take up AS maths.
if it's REALLY necessary then take a gap year and finish A2 maths.

I have no interest in Politics though. It's quite an easy subject, but I have no motivation in it and at best I'll probably get a D or something at the rate I'm going. Maybe a C/B eventually by the end of the year with my lack of interest. I also feel like I'd be wasting time focusing on a 4th AS that I don't need when that time could be spent focusing on my other A-Levels. I'd still have 4 AS's if I was to do Maths AS in A2 year, I'd just be doing it in A2 year instead. Would that jeopardise a uni application or would they not really care? 3 A2's and 2 AS's is also good I suppose if I was to continue Politics, but it's just a needless extra amount of work when all uni's want is 3 A2's and an AS.

Not all unis (especially the ones I'm aiming for like Kent etc, not aiming for anyway super high like Oxford) want Maths so I'm fine there. But it'd definitely be advantageous to at least have AS, right? I mean it's Computer Science. But I feel even though unis may state they don't mind not having Maths most will still want at least AS and having that AS would give me more chance of getting in.

I'm not sure how I'd do that as the college I go to you need to do 3 subjects so I can't just spend the whole extra year only doing A2 Maths. I suppose I could find another college for that or enter as a private candidate.

Original post by C0balt
Some uni has no requirement for CompSci but many 'better' unis want maths or physics. Best ones even want further maths...but I assume you aren't aiming for these.

Take maths up to A2 to be safe. Drop politics, take computing, maths and history/english to A2

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not aiming for top 5 or anything like that. Though, desirably I'd like to get into places like Exeter but again they want full AL Maths but at a B grade. Failing that places such as Kent and Reading which don't want AL Maths at all.

The changing A-Level course window is closed at my college now. I can only drop subjects and not take up any new ones - though I can try and appeal. Also I think it might be extremely hard to start Maths AS this late since they've probably learnt so much and I haven't done any Maths in months.

So I could take up A2 but it'd have to spend an extra year. Would the extra year be worth it? Would unis not like/hate the fact I've taken 3 years?

Original post by anonwinner
Can't you drop politics now and start AS maths? I started a new subject around this time last year when I was doing ASs. Even if the school won't let you change to maths, you could learn it on your own. Also, some unis want you to have an AS level as well as three A2 levels.

Too late to do that unfortunately. :frown: I can only drop, can't take up/switch anymore. Though I could try as hard as I can to get on to Maths - but again that would prove extremely difficult for me to catch up this late in the year.

I'd still have 3 A2's and an AS - the AS would just be done in the second year.

Original post by Chlorophile
What kind of an institution are you expecting to get into? If you'd be happy with somewhere like Kent, you wouldn't even need AS Maths. If you want to set your sights higher though, you really do want a full A2 in Mathematics - most of the top 25+ are going to want A2 Mathematics. Is there absolutely no way you could possibly do AS Maths this year? It's possible that it wouldn't work timetable-wise and I'm not going to lie, it will be very difficult to pull yourself up to everyone else's level when you've lost an entire half term. But that really would be the best option because you'd end up with two relevant A2s (plus another facilitating subject if you continue either History or English Lit).

Yeah somewhere around Kent or the like - though desirably somewhere slightly higher like Exeter (which want A2 Maths at B) but no where like top 5.

Absolutely no way, though I can try it's very unlikely they'd let me in this late into the year, also most of the classes will probably be full, and as you said it'd be extremely difficult to catch up so late into the year. It'd be possible timetable wise, though.

The only possible way that would work is AS Maths next year and doing A2 the year after by taking a gap year (and finding a college that will let me do only 1 subject) or by continuing for a third year at my college alongside another 2 AS's since at my college you need a minimum of 3 subjects. Would doing it over 3 years be a disadvantage to me though? Is 3 years worth it?

Maybe I should just stick with 3 AS's and Maths AS during my A2 year and decide after?

Original post by C0balt
You could also start self teaching AS maths this half term and go to the person who's in charge of these things and show him how much you've done on your own, which will hopefully prove your enthusiasm and willingness to catch up for bigger dream

Posted from TSR Mobile

I suppose I could do that, but I think at this stage my college have literally slammed the door shut with no exceptions. All classes are probably full and being so late into the year the chance of me entering AS now are almost none.
Reply 7
You never know before trying. Just try asking and show your commitment.

You shouldn't take a gap year only for the sake of completing maths A level.

Plenty of people self teach maths A level, and do the whole A level in one year.
Your mates aren't probably miles ahead if you put the work in. Core 1 is very easy just a little bit extra to GCSE maths so you won't take too long to catch up. Especially when you do in a class teachers need to pace optimally to every student but if you self teach you could actually go faster than the class since you can skip anything you feel unnecessary (be honest with yourself though)

You can enter as private candidate if your school doesn't let you join the class.

Seriously worth trying. The work won't go to waste if you're planning to do AS in Y13 anyway. Better get started as early as possible while you have no intense revision to do. This half term holiday is good chance
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
You never know before trying. Just try asking and show your commitment.

You shouldn't take a gap year only for the sake of completing maths A level.

Plenty of people self teach maths A level, and do the whole A level in one year.
Your mates aren't probably miles ahead if you put the work in. Core 1 is very easy just a little bit extra to GCSE maths so you won't take too long to catch up. Especially when you do in a class teachers need to pace optimally to every student but if you self teach you could actually go faster than the class since you can skip anything you feel unnecessary (be honest with yourself though)

You can enter as private candidate if your school doesn't let you join the class.

Seriously worth trying. The work won't go to waste if you're planning to do AS in Y13 anyway. Better get started as early as possible while you have no intense revision to do. This half term holiday is good chance
Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay I'll try and ask after half term, thanks. :smile:

I'm hardly an amazing Maths student though, I only got a B at GCSE (more out of laziness than capability). I'll try and self teach but in all honesty I'm probably going to struggle and I'll need a teacher to do well - but before I make that judgement I'll see how it goes first. I have many friends in my Computing class who do Maths (naturally) and they said they're only on Core 1 still so I guess I'm not drastically behind.
Reply 9
Actually, I believe Birmingham CS doesn't require maths? That's a respected uni for comp sci.
Original post by TVIO
Actually, I believe Birmingham CS doesn't require maths? That's a respected uni for comp sci.

Really? Thanks for informing me, that's great. :smile:

Still going to try and do AS anyway. :tongue:
Original post by yellowcopter
Alright so here's my situation :frown: (Sorry this is quite long)

I'm currently doing AS-Levels in Computing, History, English Literature and Government & Politics.

For someone who wants to do Computer Science, excluding Computing my A-Levels are very irrelevant. My mistake of course, as I decided to not do Maths or even something like Product Design or Psychology which may be completely different from Computing but still closer than Politics and the like. So the issue is subject choice rather than capability - as I'm coping fine in all my subjects.

No doubt about it I'm dropping Politics after half term and doing 3 AS-Levels. It's irrelevant, and doesn't interest me nor will it be in any way beneficial for me. It's too late to change to another subject, and I wouldn't want to do so anyway since it's so late into the year and I wouldn't be able to catch up.

So my options are:

Option 1 - Do AS Computing, History, English and then do A2 Computing, History, English and AS Maths (not leading to A2). Good option, however would only have an AS in Maths but would do the traditional 2 years. Subjects still hardly touch Comp Sci applicant level though still better than now.

Leads to A-Level Computing, History, English and AS Maths. Good set but not that strong, if Maths AS f***s up I'm screwed.

Option 2 - Do AS Computing, History, English and then do A2 Computing and English and AS Maths and another AS in something such as Product Design and then spend a third year at college doing A2 Maths, A2 Product Design and another AS in the third year like Psychology or whatever (college requires a minimum of 3 subjects). Issue is having to spend an extra year which could be a disadvantage for uni applications and also I'm unsure if I'd be able to do Maths to A2 level.

Leads to A-Level Computing, Maths, Product Design, English and AS History, AS Psychology. Much stronger - but not sure what I'd do again if Maths f***s up.

I haven't chosen Biology, Chemistry or Physics through out this as I need a BB to do Science A-Levels and I only have BC. My college also offer A-Level Graphic Communication (Photoshop etc) which I'm also considering.

What should I do? Is an AS in Maths good enough? Would I need a full A-Level? Any other suggestions over what route I should take?

Righhtttt...

Either do: Maths AS Self Teach (and maybe further maths AS self teach, push doesn't matter if you've got a B at GCSE )

and then do Maths A2 Self Teach ( and continue with Further Maths A2 or pick up Further Maths AS)

Or Take a gap year, get some work experience in Computing and take up Maths or Maths&Further Maths but self study don't go to another College?

Or go to another and pick up Maths as

Would have been better if you did Maths,Further Maths,Physics and Computing tbh
Original post by elmosandy
Righhtttt...

Either do: Maths AS Self Teach (and maybe further maths AS self teach, push doesn't matter if you've got a B at GCSE )

and then do Maths A2 Self Teach ( and continue with Further Maths A2 or pick up Further Maths AS)

Or Take a gap year, get some work experience in Computing and take up Maths or Maths&Further Maths but self study don't go to another College?

Or go to another and pick up Maths as

Would have been better if you did Maths,Further Maths,Physics and Computing tbh

Thanks for the reply, I think AS Self Teach is the best one to go for. As for Further Maths, I think that might prove way too difficult for me. AS (and maybe A2) Maths Self Teach would be just about possible, but I think self teaching Further Maths also is a stretch too far. Would have to see how Maths goes before I jump that far.

I was thinking maybe doing AS Maths at A2 year, then spend a gap year doing A2 Maths (self teach not college) alongside doing an IT Apprenticeship or something? So at least I'd be doing something very useful for Computing alongside the A2 Maths.

Physics I couldn't choose at my college because I got BC for Science GCSE (need BB). That being said, I'm also terrible at Physics and would never do it. :tongue:
Reply 13
Really? Thanks for informing me, that's great. :smile:

Still going to try and do AS anyway. :tongue:

By all means do! I love maths and took further maths as well. It's wayy more interesting than computing a level (I'm applying for a CS degree as well) and much more relevant too
Original post by TVIO
By all means do! I love maths and took further maths as well. It's wayy more interesting than computing a level (I'm applying for a CS degree as well) and much more relevant too

I'm liking Computing so far. We do WJEC and the CG2 coursework is a lot of fun, though CG1 theory is a bit meh. :tongue:

Best of luck for your CS application, btw. :smile:
Thanks for the reply, I think AS Self Teach is the best one to go for. As for Further Maths, I think that might prove way too difficult for me. AS (and maybe A2) Maths Self Teach would be just about possible, but I think self teaching Further Maths also is a stretch too far. Would have to see how Maths goes before I jump that far.

I was thinking maybe doing AS Maths at A2 year, then spend a gap year doing A2 Maths (self teach not college) alongside doing an IT Apprenticeship or something? So at least I'd be doing something very useful for Computing alongside the A2 Maths.

Physics I couldn't choose at my college because I got BC for Science GCSE (need BB). That being said, I'm also terrible at Physics and would never do it. :tongue:

Urm go for it if you want I wouldn't have took a gap year would have tried to get some work exp alongside a-levels but go for it if you want I would try to self teach Maths AS now and A2 Maths at A2 year....

Tbh people take Physics,Maths&FM Because most schools/colleges DON'T offer Computing A-Level. So you're at a advantage ! :P
The best CompSci univerites all want A2 maths, with many preferring applicants who are also studying further maths. The exact content covered does differ between institutions, but bear in mind that theoretical computer science is mostly maths and so if maths isn't your strongest subject it might not be the best choice of course for you. However, if your GCSE grade B was mainly down to laziness, then I think that it wouldn't be that difficult to pick up AS maths at this late stage as long as you are prepared to put in the work. See what your college say.
Reply 17
I'm liking Computing so far. We do WJEC and the CG2 coursework is a lot of fun, though CG1 theory is a bit meh. :tongue:

Best of luck for your CS application, btw. :smile:

Best of luck to you too :smile:
We do aqa and one of our teachers was an IT man (ugh so dull) and he butchered the interesting bits in AS. A2 has been much better so far, more abstract and getting closer to the mathsy stuff.
(edited 9 years ago)
Not all unis ask for maths. I'm applying to do computing at university but I haven't done maths :

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by elmosandy
Urm go for it if you want I wouldn't have took a gap year would have tried to get some work exp alongside a-levels but go for it if you want I would try to self teach Maths AS now and A2 Maths at A2 year....

Tbh people take Physics,Maths&FM Because most schools/colleges DON'T offer Computing A-Level. So you're at a advantage ! :P

Ah I see. I'm not applying to any top universities so I guess I only really need Maths and Computing. :tongue: Maybe Further Maths if all goes well with Maths.

I want to start self teaching as soon as possible using ExamSolutions + a text book. My college allows entering yourself for exams (if you pay of course) so I get to choose what board to do. Which is the best or easiest even board for Maths A-Level? Any textbook reccomendations for self teaching?

Original post by TVIO
Best of luck to you too :smile:
We do aqa and one of our teachers was an IT man (ugh so dull) and he butchered the interesting bits in AS. A2 has been much better so far, more abstract and getting closer to the mathsy stuff.

Thanks. :smile:

That must have been horrible. :lol: I heard AQA is a way harder than WJEC, luckily WJEC is one of the easiest boards so thankfully I do WJEC. :tongue:

Which board would you recommend for Maths AL and any good textbooks for self teaching?
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest