The Student Room Group

He doesnt want a relationship

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Crumpet1
He has no right to ask that of you, and rather than telling him, you should have said, "actually my love life isnt any of your business ".

There is a phrase, " a gentleman keeps his private life private " and I think that is an approach that you need to start adopting with your friend until he works out what he wants.

I second what others have said above too. If you don't know what he wants then ask him, "what exactly is it that you want"?

I was tempted to say something like that because whilst we are not together, it is none of his business. In a way I wouldn't want to know if he had done any other stuff with girls. It's the way he was mad, then a few hours later he's acting normal with me again and all of a sudden he brings it back up again. I was very drunk and don't remember much, I regret getting like this. I honestly cannot remember, I have neither spoken to the lad that I kissed to find out more, so in a way he probably cannot remember infancy thing did happen. I am confused because the lad said he doesn't want a relationship and we are seeing each other but I am still single.
Reply 41
Original post by MidnightDream
I've had this before tbh I think he only wants a casual relationship

Why is he so bothered though?
Original post by fashion1

why not just ask him? ask him why he's so bothered and what he really wants, rather than batting back and forth from him to tsr, it's just quicker and easier to talk to him about it

That you'd have to ask him, just ask him what he wants :smile:
I was tempted to say something like that because whilst we are not together, it is none of his business. In a way I wouldn't want to know if he had done any other stuff with girls. It's the way he was mad, then a few hours later he's acting normal with me again and all of a sudden he brings it back up again. I was very drunk and don't remember much, I regret getting like this. I honestly cannot remember, I have neither spoken to the lad that I kissed to find out more, so in a way he probably cannot remember infancy thing did happen. I am confused because the lad said he doesn't want a relationship and we are seeing each other but I am still single.

Given what he has said to you to date, you are NOT seeing each other, make no mistake.
Reply 45
Given what he has said to you to date, you are NOT seeing each other, make no mistake.

So basically, he says that we are not in a relationship and that we are just seeing each other it isn't serious and that I am single. Yet he is so bothered to know if I did anything with any lads at the party (I was very drunk and cannot remember, so it is unlikely that I would have).
Reply 46
But you do remember what happened. Something along the lines of "it didn't go all the way in and lasted about 30 seconds..."

You're at great risk of getting your head screwed over by this boy. Therefore you must woman up and follow the good advice you've had from foo.mp3 and others and be firm. You must not become this lads play thing if it's not what u want. And judging by what you've said I don't think it's what u want at all. You've already invested emotion into this so you'll end up getting hurt. I have no idea why you're putting the ball in his court and letting him call the shots. Time for u to take control lady. Good luck!
Reply 47
Original post by Mrs E
But you do remember what happened. Something along the lines of "it didn't go all the way in and lasted about 30 seconds..."

You're at great risk of getting your head screwed over by this boy. Therefore you must woman up and follow the good advice you've had from foo.mp3 and others and be firm. You must not become this lads play thing if it's not what u want. And judging by what you've said I don't think it's what u want at all. You've already invested emotion into this so you'll end up getting hurt. I have no idea why you're putting the ball in his court and letting him call the shots. Time for u to take control lady. Good luck!

So basically I am letting him walk all over me? We are not together and it is none of his business about what happened at the party. I honestly cannot remember and hope that I did not because I do like this boy who says we're not together but says we're seeing each other and I'm single.
Reply 48
I wouldn't say he's walking all over you...not really. Tbh he sounds like he's not 100% sure what he wants but as a result he's giving u the run around. It could easily turn into a situation where he wants to be single and free to do as he pleases but have the perks of having someone there that's always available but if u do the same he'll get peeved. He can't have his cake and eat it. My gut is telling me that it's be best to tell him straight that it's become confusing with you 'seeing' him but being single and him getting upset about what may or may not have happened at the party. I'd then be tempted to create some space between u both and that u should just continue to enjoy yourself and see what happens.
So basically, he says that we are not in a relationship and that we are just seeing each other it isn't serious and that I am single. Yet he is so bothered to know if I did anything with any lads at the party (I was very drunk and cannot remember, so it is unlikely that I would have).

Yes, you seem to have grasped it. Basically he wants first dibs on you, but he doesn't want you to think that there will be any commitment as a part of that. He's treating you like you're the town bicycle and he wants to make sure he gets his ride before everyone else does.

Question is, what do you want:
- for yourself;
- out of him; and
- in terms of how you portray yourself publicly?

You need to decide on those three things in order to guide you as to what you should do going forward.
Reply 50
Original post by Foo.mp3
Has nothing I have said to you sunk in? :rolleyes:

NEVER lie. It's a sign of weakness on so many levels, not to mention unfair and disrespectful, let alone the fact that lies will almost inevitably come back round to bite you in the ass. Take ownership of your life, including your love life, take responsibility for your actions, and take no **** from anyone, especially not guys like him. Grow up

Today he messaged me out of the blue saying "I need to know if you did more than kiss because I don't want people coming up to me telling me something I don't know, so you either did or didn't" and I replied saying that "I was pretty drunk and there was kissing going on and I couldn't remember much, but i was pretty sure that nothing happened".
Reply 51
Yes, you seem to have grasped it. Basically he wants first dibs on you, but he doesn't want you to think that there will be any commitment as a part of that. He's treating you like you're the town bicycle and he wants to make sure he gets his ride before everyone else does.

Question is, what do you want:
- for yourself;
- out of him; and
- in terms of how you portray yourself publicly?

You need to decide on those three things in order to guide you as to what you should do going forward.

Personally for me I am not looking for a full on relationship now as I have just started sixth form and have a weekend job too. I like him and would like to continue sending time with him but I do worry about what he wants in the long term, as my friend feels that he only wants me for sex. I usually portray myself as a quiet girl but bubbly, I never behave like I did at this party and am embarrassed by my behaviour, as I cannot remember much of the night.
Personally for me I am not looking for a full on relationship now as I have just started sixth form and have a weekend job too. I like him and would like to continue sending time with him but I do worry about what he wants in the long term, as my friend feels that he only wants me for sex. I usually portray myself as a quiet girl but bubbly, I never behave like I did at this party and am embarrassed by my behaviour, as I cannot remember much of the night.

You have a wise friend.

I guess maybe alternate alcoholic drinks with non alcoholic ones at the next party, it sounds like you've given yourself a bit of a wake up call.

Finally I don't want to be too prudey, but you are only 16-17... please don't be of the impression that for adults sex is an automatic next step from kissing. It isn't (no matter what guys might like you to believe). Of course everyone needs to make up their own mind about what their boundaries are, and what they are comfortable with, and with whom ... but when you get to university I think you'll be surprised how many people are still virgins or have only done it with one or two very special people in their lives. Just please be comfortable with what you are doing and don't assume that everyone else is at it day and night.
Forget this guy. Just focus on your studies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
Original post by Foo.mp3
I can't help you sorry, if you're going to persist with lies, I wash my hands, and he will too if he has any sense (you realise he probably already knows) :rolleyes:

I am honestly not sure if anything did happen at all.
Reply 55
A week after starting at a new sixth form, a lad from my form added me on facebook and inboxed me the same night and a couple more times that week, he would randomly message me even asking if he'd missed much work in a lesson that his best friend was also in.After a week we were inboxing everyday and a few weeks later he got my number so we would then text everyday (with him mainly texting me first). We barely spoke in school but a few weeks ago he started to sit by me in all of our study sessions, where he would talk to me and flirt with me. He once miss heard something that was said about me by a friend (that I was in bed with another person) this was not true, but after he heard this, he asked me straight away, why would he do this? This week he came from to mine twice (first time we'd been on our own without anyone), all we did was kiss, with him always making the first move, he would put his arm around me and flirt with me. But yesterday he told me that he didn't want to give me the wrong impression but he wasn't looking for a relationship right now. I like him a bit and am enjoying getting to know him, however I don't know myself if I want a relationship at this moment. What does this mean?

whoever this lad is hes a bloody genius and I'd like to shake his hand.. he progressed pretty quickly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by babyshawte
Forget this guy. Just focus on your studies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

the best single piece of advice on this entire thread.

Bravo my friend! I commend you!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 57
Original post by Foo.mp3
Are you ****ing kidding me? It's bad enough lying to this lad, but lying to yourself, and to me? You said you got dicked.. so just be real about it, like an adult? :rolleyes:

I'm sorry. I know, I should have been honest all along. I've admitted it did happen. I should have just grown up and told him straight away.
Reply 58
Original post by Foo.mp3
Yes, you should. At least you came clean in the end I guess. Good luck with everything kiddo

Thank you for your help! I don't know what happens next but I'm going to face up to it and try to make things right
Don't lie to him ... but do make it clear to him what he is entitled to know about and what he is not. If you don't want to discuss the topic with him then tell him it isn't any of his business.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending