The Student Room Group

How Do I become a psychiatrist?

hi! Im doing my as levels and my current subjects are maths, further maths, physics and chemistry. I'm thinking of taking psychology and biology too ee!
So, I wanna become a psychiatrist but I have no idea about the steps! after finishing a levels what should I take as undergrad? medicine I guess? Is medicine the same one the to be doctors have to take?
I'm pretty much set on state universities specially cambridge So should I join cambridge medical school after I finish a levels?
what happens after I finish undergrad?
thank you for help in advance ! mwah :biggrin:
Reply 1
A psychiatrist is a medical doctor so yes, you would have to go to medical school. Apply to Cambridge if you like, but you can't just "join cambridge medical school" because you feel like it - it's very competitive, as are all medical schools!

Do a bit of reading about the difference between psychiatry and psychology as a career, to make sure you're going for the right one for the career you have in mind. The Medicine forum on here, and the relevant section on the wiki, has a lot of information about applying to medical school. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medicine
Its so cute how one thinks they can just "join Cambridge"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Neuty
hi! Im doing my as levels and my current subjects are maths, further maths, physics and chemistry. I'm thinking of taking psychology and biology too ee!
So, I wanna become a psychiatrist but I have no idea about the steps! after finishing a levels what should I take as undergrad? medicine I guess? Is medicine the same one the to be doctors have to take?
I'm pretty much set on state universities specially cambridge So should I join cambridge medical school after I finish a levels?
what happens after I finish undergrad?
thank you for help in advance ! mwah :biggrin:

Psychiatrists are doctors...
OP appears to have done virtually no research on medical careers in the UK at all, which is rather worrying for an alleged to be riding 17 year old currently in year 12.

Psychiatry is a Medical Speciality, to practice as a psychiatrist one Must be a Registered Medical Practitioner

In the UK there is not a division between 'state' and 'private' Universities like there is in the US,

In the UK Medicine is an Undergraduate Programme, unlike the US, theroefore one applies ot Medicine as a Undergraduate degree.

I strongly suspect that the OP is not going to be a strong candidate for any Pre-reg course within the next year regardless of academic achevements.
Reply 5
Original post by prof moriartress
Its so cute how one thinks they can just "join Cambridge"

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know it is. I'm just saying. I have the required grades so far and hopefully will have good grades in As and a2 too :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by zippyRN
OP appears to have done virtually no research on medical careers in the UK at all, which is rather worrying for an alleged to be riding 17 year old currently in year 12.

Psychiatry is a Medical Speciality, to practice as a psychiatrist one Must be a Registered Medical Practitioner

In the UK there is not a division between 'state' and 'private' Universities like there is in the US,

In the UK Medicine is an Undergraduate Programme, unlike the US, theroefore one applies ot Medicine as a Undergraduate degree.

I strongly suspect that the OP is not going to be a strong candidate for any Pre-reg course within the next year regardless of academic achevements.

Im not from UK, so yes I dont know. Which is why I asked in the first place. Thank you anyway.
Original post by Neuty
Im not from UK, so yes I dont know. Which is why I asked in the first place. Thank you anyway.

So you won't be doing your primary medical training in the UK. As pre-reg plces for none UK resudents are very very limited and priorituse places without their own provision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You should probably be taking biology- many medical schools require it to at least AS. You should also be aware that some medical schools don't accept maths and further maths as separate A levels.
Original post by Neuty
I know it is. I'm just saying. I have the required grades so far and hopefully will have good grades in As and a2 too :smile:

Yeah well most people have the grades so you need to make sure you have a lot of work experience (hospitals, gp surgeries and maybe also research labs if you're set on Cambridge because they're very sciencey), voluntary work (preferably if its in clinical settings like care homes and working on a ward or medically related like st john ambulance), extracurriculars or roles in school that show leadership, teamwork, determination and commitment, and also do further reading to show evidence of independent learning and interest in science. Also you've got to do well in the BMAT which is an entrance exam for some medical unis including cambridge but worry about that next year (like I am rn :O).
Reply 10
Original post by zippyRN
So you won't be doing your primary medical training in the UK. As pre-reg plces for none UK resudents are very very limited and priorituse places without their own provision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That depends whether they're from outside the EU, surely? If the policy is EU-enforced then it should probably be the same as here in Denmark, where as far as I can tell there is absolutely no differentiation between Danish and other EU applicants.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending