The Student Room Group

Rate these subjects?

Hi

Rate these i/Gcses out of 10 for how hard they are to get an a star and how much work is needed to get an a star.

iGcse - Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics
Gcse - English Lang, English Lit, German, French, Geograohy, History

Thanks.
Original post by Coolme12345
Hi

Rate these i/Gcses out of 10 for how hard they are to get an a star and how much work is needed to get an a star.

Thanks.

Completely depends on what kind of a person you are! How difficult those GCSEs would be for me is totally different to how difficult they would be for you.
Hi

Thanks.

For me:

Maths 5/10
Biology 6/10
Chemistry 6/10
Physics 6/10
English Lang 7/10
English Lit 7/10
German 7/10 (Never took this...)
French 7/10 (Never took this...)
Geography 7/10 (Never took this...)
History 6/10
Original post by Ben4
For me:

Maths 5/10
Biology 6/10
Chemistry 6/10
Physics 6/10
English Lang 7/10
English Lit 7/10
German 7/10 (Never took this...)
French 7/10 (Never took this...)
Geography 7/10 (Never took this...)
History 6/10

How can you rate it, if you never took it ._.
Original post by R Dragon
How can you rate it, if you never took it ._.

I took Spanish instead of German and French, so I applied how hard I found Spanish to the other languages. And Geography was an educated guess.
Original post by Ben4
I took Spanish instead of German and French, so I applied how hard I found Spanish to the other languages. And Geography was an educated guess.

lol... "educated guess" xD
Depends on the person. I did nearly the exact same subjects (but with Eng lang/lit and German IGCSE, and instead of French and History, I did Italian, Japanese and ICT) and I found them quite easy. Eng Lit and Geography I got As in because of poor exam performance, but the rest were A*s.
Original post by Ben4

Spanish is piss easy (as is French). German is a lot more difficult, so you can't just compare like they're the same.
Reply 8
Maths: 5/10 (low grade boundaries - normally around 65% for an A, 85% for an A*)
Biology: 7/10
Chemistry: 8/10
Physics: 6/10

English Lang: 5/10
English Lit: 8/10
German: 7/10
French: don't take it
Geography: 7/10
History: 7/10
Reply 9
Oops wrong post
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Hi

Thanks.

IGCSE sciences are harder than GCSE counterparts. (Or rather, more contents to go through)

How hard to get an A*, it depends on each person. For me, I breezed through sciences whereas history and Eng lit were hard due to my being second language English speaker.

That said, here are my ratings. I did almost exactly the same subjects except German. My ratings are based on my personal experience with CIE IGCSE

Maths - 1 (I had a bit of special back ground so doesn't count really)
Biology - 4
Chemistry - 2
Physics - 3
English Lang - 7 (got an A :frown: )
English Lit - 8 (an A again)
German - dunno
French - 1 (I live in France LOL doesn't count again)
Geograohy - 3
History - 8 (went from D student to A* tho!)

Obviously it's gonna be a reverse of my rating if you're first language English speaker and/or strong (or like) in essay subjects ... or bad at sciences
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheTechN1304
Spanish is piss easy (as is French). German is a lot more difficult, so you can't just compare like they're the same.

Well i wouldnt know as I didnt take German, the OP asked for opinions, I gave mine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
iGcse:
Maths - 5
Biology - 7
Chemistry - 7
Physics - 8
*Just do lots of past papers and memorize key points, especially for Biology , Physics and Chemistry. Do lots of questions in Maths and once you get it, you'll be able to answer most questions.

Gcse:
English Lang - 2
English Lit - 4
*Learn lots of quotes and re-read the books you read and just have a good structure and do well in coursework.
German - 8 (I asked my friend who got an A*)
French - 8 (I asked my friend who got an A*)
Geography - 7 (asked a friend who got an A*)
History - 5 (asked a friend who got an A*)
What about general studies?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi

Thanks.

I am doing all of these (I)GCSEs and have done some of them early, so I hope i'm able to shed some light on them:

Maths (8-9/10) Although it's not too hard to pass and get a high grade such as an A/B, getting an A* on the day is quite a challenge.

Biology(4-5/10)
Chemistry (5-6/10)
Physics (6-7/10.. not too hard, but I am a 'sciencey' person

Geography - (4-10) Quite easy, if you're with the right exam board

History - (9/10) Although I actually got an A* in this, it took a lot of work and the exam techniques tend to only click with some people.

French & German -(8/10) These two are completely dependant on the person, but if you put a lot of hard work in and get A*s in your controlled assessments it shouldn't be too difficult.

English - (9/10) People tend to either sink or swim with English, but again if you manage to do well in controlled assessments, then you're set.
Since we only do IGCSEs here here's my opinion:10 being really hard,1 being super easyHOWEVER it depends on the student!!!Maths - 7/10 (past papers!!!! tho some questions are a bit confusing lol)Biology-6/10 (not really sciemce nerd aha, but memorize your work!!!! and key terms)Chemistry - dont take itPhysics- 5/10 (physics is natuarally good for me, past papers do help A LOT, focus in class, revise well)English Lang- 2/10 (absolutely LOVE english, im more of a story person aha)Eng lit- dont do itGerman - not offeredFrench - 6/10 (I do higher, so for me it was not that good, especially the writing and reading part, do past papers!)Geography - 1/10 (i did mine in y10, REALLLYYYY EASYYY, more logical)History- 7/10 (it was okay, HATE essays aha)
our teacher allowed us to do it in y10, all my past papers I have gotten 90+, paper 2 is a bit confusing,all you really need to get more than 85 is develop your map skills, paper 4, all of the answers are more or less on the paper, this year in august I'll be getting my marks, confident that I WILL get at least a 90 :smile:
Original post by username1490928
Hi

Thanks.

all 000000000000000000000000000 from me
gonna be difficult for everyone, but personally:

maths: 1/10
english lang: 3/10
physics: 4/10
history: 5/10
chemistry: 6/10