The Student Room Group

Is Medsim useful?

post removed
Reply 1
I didn't do Medsim, but I did Vetlink which is run by the same company and many of my friends went to Medlink and Medsim. What I heard from them was that Medsim is fun, and slightly useful as another way to experience the skills involved in the career in a very hands on way, but that it isn't worth the price.

It it will not make any difference to your application at all as universities are aware that not everyone can afford to do it and so can't bias the applications procedure by counting it for anything.
Reply 2
A gap year medic who pays to go to Ghana or wherever would (or at least should) get the same 'points' from the university as one who spends the year working in a hospital over here. One friend of mine is taking a year out while taking another A level and working as a phlebotomist in a hospital (I didn't know you could get those kind of jobs without a degree but clearly you can). But she let the doctors know her plans so they let her see and do as much as possible.

I don't know if the school would be willing to pay for you to go. I would think it is unlikely, but it is certainly worth asking.
I didn't find it useful, personally.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending