The Student Room Group

Ygm

Got an A gcse maths

im doing alevel maths and decided to resit gcse maths to get an A*.

if I get an A at alevel maths, will the a at gcse maths matter?
(edited 9 years ago)
Some universities care about your gcse results more than others. Generally though, I'd say if you where confident about getting an A at A level, they wouldn't care. Compared to A-level, gcse maths is a joke; the A-level is a far better indicator of your mathematical skill as far as any university will be concerned.

At the end of the day however, it is your choice. If you want a flashy A* on your ucas application, it certainly won't disadvantage you :biggrin:
Reply 2
If the course specifies that you need an A or A* at GCSE maths, you're unlikely to be successful with your B - even if you get an A or A* at A Level. However, I can't think of any courses that do specify this (although I am ill, so my brain feels mushy). Most courses will specify either C or above, or B or above, so you'd be fine.
Reply 3
Well, A-Level maths will make GCSEs look even more pitifully easy especially if you're going to be getting an A/A* in it. I'd say it's worth the money just as something so you don't accidentally get auto-filtered by some computer. It's not like you'll have to revise, A* boundaries are something like 60%(I think?) at GCSE.

Quick Reply

Latest