The Student Room Group

Citalopram?

Does anyone here have any experiences with Citalopram?

I was given Sertraline previously but didn't take it and instead asked for Cotalopram. The doctor yelled at me for not taking it and not trusting him to do his job but he gave it me.

My two friends are on it and have no side effects and are fine. However I've been reading others experiences online and they sound awful.

Withdrawal from the drug sounds horrible and difficult, so I'm scared I won't be able to come off it and be dependent on the drug for years / ever.

Also the brain zaps of you miss a dose or withdraw, they are terrifying me.

And then side effects, like it gets worse before it gets better. Suicidal, insomnia etc.

Plus just energy feelings of emptiness and the drug doing more harm than good.

I want to try and change and CBT and therapy doesn't help, or not enough anyway. I was thinking maybe antidepressants would help motivate me with CBT and point me in the right direction.

But I'm scared about the side effects and withdrawals.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by snowystarks

I was given Sertraline previously but didn't take it and instead asked for Cotalopram. The doctor yelled at me for not taking it and not trusting him to do his job but he gave it me.

My two friends are on it and have no side effects and are fine. However I've been reading others experiences online and they sound awful.

Withdrawal from the drug sounds horrible and difficult, so I'm scared I won't be able to come off it and be dependent on the drug for years / ever.

And then side effects, like it gets worse before it gets better. Suicidal, insomnia etc.

I want to try and change and CBT and therapy doesn't help, or not enough anyway. I was thinking maybe antidepressants would help motivate me with CBT and point me in the right direction.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why did you ask for Citalopram and not want to take Sertraline? I'm sorry your doctor shouted at you but did you explain why you didn't want Sertraline?

Peoples' responses to the different SSRIs and the side affects the get vary from person to person and often people have to try a few to find one which suits them. Just because one person responds well and doesn't get side affects, it doesn't mean you will.

Whichever ones you take you are likely to get things like nausea and diarrhea to start with but they normally go after a week. You won't if you will get any others without taking them.

SSRIs are not addictive. You get discontinuation sydrome not withdrawl symptoms.

http://www.nes.scot.nhs.uk/media/344033/stoppingantidepressants.pdf

You should really speak to your doctor about your concerns.

In regards to helping with CBT, I have seen studies that say you are about 50% more likely to respond to CBT if you are taking an SSRI.
Original post by Anonymous
Why did you ask for Citalopram and not want to take Sertraline? I'm sorry your doctor shouted at you but did you explain why you didn't want Sertraline?

Peoples' responses to the different SSRIs and the side affects the get vary from person to person and often people have to try a few to find one which suits them. Just because one person responds well and doesn't get side affects, it doesn't mean you will.

Whichever ones you take you are likely to get things like nausea and diarrhea to start with but they normally go after a week. You won't if you will get any others without taking them.

SSRIs are not addictive. You get discontinuation sydrome not withdrawl symptoms.

http://www.nes.scot.nhs.uk/media/344033/stoppingantidepressants.pdf

You should really speak to your doctor about your concerns.

In regards to helping with CBT, I have seen studies that say you are about 50% more likely to respond to CBT if you are taking an SSRI.

Thank you for the reply. My doctor didn't tell me anything about the drugs so I had to google all of it. Sertraline withdrawal sounded awful (discontinuation) especially with brain zaps and it really put me off.
My two friends are on Citalopram and neither of them had side effects and it seems to be the most common for depression ad anxiety.

But I'm googling forums and peoples experiences and discontinuation symptoms sound awful too. I'm terrified of not being able to come off them as the side effects are too bad. Plus some people on the forums have been on the drugs for 4+ years and I don't want to be on drugs for that long. 6months - 1year, but I can't plan that in advance.

My doctor is terrible and is more objective than subjective so he won't tell me about withdrawing and the symptoms related to it.

I really don't know if they're worth taking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thank you for the reply. My doctor didn't tell me anything about the drugs so I had to google all of it. Sertraline withdrawal sounded awful (discontinuation) especially with brain zaps and it really put me off.
My two friends are on Citalopram and neither of them had side effects and it seems to be the most common for depression ad anxiety.

But I'm googling forums and peoples experiences and discontinuation symptoms sound awful too. I'm terrified of not being able to come off them as the side effects are too bad. Plus some people on the forums have been on the drugs for 4+ years and I don't want to be on drugs for that long. 6months - 1year, but I can't plan that in advance.

My doctor is terrible and is more objective than subjective so he won't tell me about withdrawing and the symptoms related to it.

I really don't know if they're worth taking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ignore what people say online about a certain one. You take what you're prescribed and see what it does to you before making any judgement. If you don't like it, you just stop taking it, they aren't addictive and in my personal experience of it, people online tend to be drama queens about the discontinuation. Yes you get brain zaps for two weeks or so and get a bit more irritable but really that's it and it isn't addictive so it's not like it has you reaching for the pill pack to take more.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally (I don't want to scare you off, just being honest), I had a ****ty time on citalopram, it really messed up my sleep and eating patterns and I ended up losing about a stone on it (I couldn't really afford to lose a stone). But equally, I know of people who did really well on it, so try it with an open mind. The side effects of any given drug are driven massively by individual differences.

I'm a huge advocate of CBT, which I did whilst on Fluoxetine (which worked a lot better for me). I saw huge reductions in mood swings/ anxiety levels whilst undergoing this treatment, and was eventually able to come off drugs altogether, without significant repercussions. I had a brilliant therapist, which really helped.

Finding the right 'fit' of treatment for you can be a long and very arduous process, I hope citalopram works out for you! If you find CBT still isn't working for you, you may want to explore other options such as psychotherapy.
(edited 9 years ago)
Side effects are really common on it from what I've read online but I've been taking Celexa for three months now and have had none, aside from vivid dreams every night and weight loss (but I'm not sure if that's entirely to put down to the drug?) In terms of my mood I have less of a 'sinking' feeling in my chest when I'm feeling low and generally I have less extreme fluctuations and feel a bit more stable. :smile:
Original post by james1211
Ignore what people say online about a certain one. You take what you're prescribed and see what it does to you before making any judgement. If you don't like it, you just stop taking it, they aren't addictive and in my personal experience of it, people online tend to be drama queens about the discontinuation. Yes you get brain zaps for two weeks or so and get a bit more irritable but really that's it and it isn't addictive so it's not like it has you reaching for the pill pack to take more.

What are the brain zaps like? Are they really painful and do you know if they're common during withdrawal?

I keep saying withdrawal but I mean discontinuation symptoms. I know they're not addictive but if I withdraw and the brain zaps and other symptoms get too much I don't want to keep taking the drug just to avoid it.

And thank you for the reply. I know I'm coming off sounding whiney and weak by writing this but I just want to be sure before (or if) I take them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
What are the brain zaps like? Are they really painful and do you know if they're common during withdrawal?

I keep saying withdrawal but I mean discontinuation symptoms. I know they're not addictive but if I withdraw and the brain zaps and other symptoms get too much I don't want to keep taking the drug just to avoid it.

And thank you for the reply. I know I'm coming off sounding whiney and weak by writing this but I just want to be sure before (or if) I take them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Brain zaps aren't painful. It's more like a twitch in your head. It's hard to describe but really they're just annoying more than anything else. Certainly not a pain thing, just a mild twitch. Almost like your brain blinking I'd describe it as.

They are common coming off it but really having had them it's not something I'd be concerned about.

Try them out and see if they have an effect on your condition. They didn't work for me and really the side effects during them were worse than coming off. I was irritable, unstable and they made me lose my sex drive which put my relationship under strain.

I am looking to try different ones though sometime as often you need to try several before you find the right one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I was on it for about a year and it just made me feel numb; I guess the best way to describe it is like I was in a dream. I can't remember having any particular side effects coming off them apart from the brain zaps which as a user above said just feel like a twitch.
Reply 9
I often read of the rise and rise of SSRI usage in both younger people and indeed people in their 30/40s and think, why is modern life doing this to people? People are under more and more strain to achieve and perform.

Every day they are bombarded with bad news in the media and filled with anxiety about crime,the economy, war,employment etc etc.

It is no wonder that people feel they are slipping below the waves.

The real answer is the identify the issues and deal with them.

SSRIs may act as a short term bridge to buy time and quieten your mind but they shouldnt be a long term solution because they are not and their usage causes other issues.

My way of dealing with life is simply to shut off those streams which may raise anxiety. Shot off the news,dont read newspapers. They really are like some giant never ending Orwellian horn of doom.

Keep a notepad and write down stuff you need to do. This allows you to get stuff done and feel a sense of achievement instead of being overwhelmed.

Do you have people around you who regularly sit and talk to you about all their problems? You do? Get up and walk away or change the subject. They dont know it but all they are doing is packaging up all their worries/troubles and anxieties and dumping them on you. They then skip off feeling happier whilst you shoulder their weight.

Meditate,do yoga,quieten your mind...
I really think that you are scaring yourself silly into not taking this medication. Not sure why you didn't take 2 prescriptions as ordered for you, but if you're not comfortable with your doctor (you say he's pretty vague etc) then you need to change, or ask for a referral to a psych (they can also prescribe) or another GP in the same practice.

I'm a nurse and I've been on and off SSRI's since I was around 13. Here's some advice from me to you: IGNORE online forums. They will give you anxiety. I've been there many times. ALL DRUGS WORK DIFFERENTLY FOR DIFFERENT PEOPLE. I've been on more than 7 different meds for anxiety/depression, some were awesome, some were ****. You will know within days- 2 weeks. If you get bad side effects, you will know. Just give them a chance.
Also remember that forums are often an outlet for people on both extremes- either those that have had miraculous experience with a drug, or the worst. If it was just good, why would they bother seeking out writing on forums?

I know taking SSRI's seems like a big step, but they are widely prescribed and thoroughly researched. You will be fine. All sorts of very ill people can take them without problems.

Discontinuation: Again, I know my stuff with this. When you are ready to withdraw (and length of time shouldn't be the issue here) your doctor should TAPER off slowly- if you do it right, you will have VERY minimal side effects. Again, online posts= both extremes.

If I'm honest I think you would benefit more from CBT- it seems like you are prone to negative thinking patterns.
Good luck :smile:
I have been on citalopram 10mg for two months now. I guess I was very fortunate to not have suffered any nightmare side effects such as those mentioned. It did make me rather drowsy, however, and still does if I take it on an empty stomach. I recommend taking it in the morning if it is being prescribed for anxiety especially. Taking it first thing after breakfast also seems to help escape the lucid dreams, though I do occasionally still have them. The drug definitely helped me for the first six weeks. I was notably less anxious about pretty much everything and not waking up with a racing heart and impending sense of doom was a great relief. I also recommend avoiding excessive amounts of alcohol as I am currently on a downer after a big night out!

The reason I mentioned it helping me for the first six weeks is because I feel it has lost its potency and I may need a higher dosage; this seems to be the general journey with citalopram. Has anyone else experience a lack of potency after a certain amount of time?
Original post by Anonymous
I have been on citalopram 10mg for two months now. I guess I was very fortunate to not have suffered any nightmare side effects such as those mentioned. It did make me rather drowsy, however, and still does if I take it on an empty stomach. I recommend taking it in the morning if it is being prescribed for anxiety especially. Taking it first thing after breakfast also seems to help escape the lucid dreams, though I do occasionally still have them. The drug definitely helped me for the first six weeks. I was notably less anxious about pretty much everything and not waking up with a racing heart and impending sense of doom was a great relief. I also recommend avoiding excessive amounts of alcohol as I am currently on a downer after a big night out!

The reason I mentioned it helping me for the first six weeks is because I feel it has lost its potency and I may need a higher dosage; this seems to be the general journey with citalopram. Has anyone else experience a lack of potency after a certain amount of time?

Yes of course. You aren't even in the therapeutic range for anxiety. You should really be on 20mg- go back to the doctor.
Reply 13

Posted from TSR Mobile

Who was this doctor who shouted at you?! How unprofessional.

How long have you been on Citalopram? It could just be your body getting used to taking it. I took it about 3 years ago and dont remember any noticeable side affects, but Im a week into starting it again and theres some unwanted side affects plus falling asleep for 4 hours immediately after taking it - which is annoying. Iv also been feeling fairly apocalyptic, but again I think its just the getting used to the drug, hopefully that will pass for you once its all kicked in properly.

As other posters have said, theres a whole bunch of antidepressants you can try if yours isnt working.

I dont know what to say about the insomnia - my psych tried to give me sleeping pills as well but I declined them as I didnt want to be on a whole bunch of things. But maybe you could ask about that.
(edited 9 years ago)
People react differently to different drugs, so just because your friends are okay with Citalopram doesn't mean that you will be. If you are not happy with your doctor, then maybe see another one and see what they say?
I went to my doctors twice with awful anxiety over the summer and really wanted some counselling. However I was just told it was 'uni exam results nerves' and given 5mg of Citalopram which I think might be the lowest dose(?)

I was a bit dubious about taking them but at the time didn't have many other options so I took 1 tablet. I was warned that it can make you feel pretty awful for a while but I woke up the next day and felt horrendous. I was sick to my stomach, jittery, felt like I could feel electricity flowing around my body, dizzy, scared and just generally worse than I was. I don't know if that is a particularly bad reaction or just normal but I didn't take one again and got private counselling instead.

If you're really not sure about taking them then maybe preserver with CBT and try to improve your diet, exercise and sleep. My counsellor recommended green tea and very dark chocolate (80% cocoa) and a nice walk every day and honestly those things in combination really helped me.

Quick Reply

Latest