The Student Room Group

UCAS 2015 early application stats released

If anyone's interested, UCAS has released application statistics for applicants applying for the Oct. 15th deadline this year. The main interesting observation is that applications from every domestic domicile group have decreased. The overall number of early applications has dropped by 3% from 2014, from 58,200 to 56,360. Non-UK and non-EU applications are up by 2% and 1% respectively. Applications from Scotland have shown the biggest decrease, dropping by 9%.
Only 2.48% of applicants are from Wales.
And only 1400 applied pre 15/10/15.

Disappointing Wales.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Only 2.48% of applicants are from Wales.
And only 1400 applied pre 15/10/15.

Disappointing Wales.

Are you welsh?
Edit: Just read your location! Silly me.

It's probably because most of the places that have Oct. 15th deadlines are in England, so naturally most early applicants will be English. And obviously most people live in England anyway.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Chlorophile
Are you welsh?
Edit: Just read your location! Silly me.

No I was just born and bred in Cardiff :tongue:

Although I could have just moved here so fair point.

But yes, I'm Welsh.
Considering a Cambridge academic warned that you'd get some over-ambitious applications next year with the removal of AS, it'll be interesting to see if we get a rise next year in early applications.
Original post by loperdoper
Considering a Cambridge academic warned that you'd get some over-ambitious applications next year with the removal of AS, it'll be interesting to see if we get a rise next year in early applications.

Some schools/departments are still planning on entering students for AS.

If they do well and don't want to take it to A2 they just have to redo the AS exams the next year.
Some schools/departments are still planning on entering students for AS.

If they do well and don't want to take it to A2 they just have to redo the AS exams the next year.

I hope so, the exam system as proposed by Gove is entirely useless.
Original post by loperdoper
I hope so, the exam system as proposed by Gove is entirely useless.

I think the A Level being linear is fine.

However I strongly disagree with the fact that if someone scores 100% at AS (even an A) in their first year, it won't count for anything. They have to redo it the next year.

Maybe Cambridge will insist that serious applicants have to sit the AS in first year, and then make an offer on 3 A Levels.
Reply 8
Increase in applicants for Oxford, decrease for Cambridge

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/11183160/Record-demand-for-Oxford-places-as-applications-for-Cambridge-drop.html

Cambridge decline is thought to be due to their harder minimum Science offer (i.e. now A*A*A instead of A*AA).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jneill

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/11183160/Record-demand-for-Oxford-places-as-applications-for-Cambridge-drop.html

Cambridge decline is thought to be due to their harder minimum Science offer (i.e. now A*A*A instead of A*AA).

I didn't take entry requirements into account at all. Oops.

I guess it's good I didn't go for a quick switch to Oxford then.
Original post by jneill

Bugger.
Original post by Chlorophile
Bugger.

If you don't get in, which I doubt, it won't be down to grades or anything. Just your interview not being good enough.
If you don't get in, which I doubt, it won't be down to grades or anything. Just your interview not being good enough.

Thanks for the reassuring words ^^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending