The Student Room Group

Further Maths for Medicine

Hey guys,
Do any of you know how useful having Further Maths AS will be when applying to medicine? (I mean for places like Oxford where academics are regarded highly)
Is there anyone who took FM and wants to apply to medicine?
Reply 1
Original post by misstac
Hey guys,
Do any of you know how useful having Further Maths AS will be when applying to medicine? (I mean for places like Oxford where academics are regarded highly)

If you want to do FM as your fourth AS then do it. It won't give you any advantage, though.
Reply 2
I'm doing Further Maths AS in Year 13, simply because I enjoy it! I'm applying to medicine and chose to only do the AS in Y13, along with 3 A2s so that I don't overdo it and end up with bad grades in other subjects (definitely worth considering!).

Just check that the universities accept further maths as another subject, as A LOT of them consider it to be the same subject as maths, in which case, you'd have to be doing further maths plus at least 3 other subjects at A2 in Y13 in order to meet their requirements :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by cwi111
I'm doing Further Maths AS in Year 13, simply because I enjoy it! I'm applying to medicine and chose to only do the AS in Y13, along with 3 A2s so that I don't overdo it and end up with bad grades in other subjects (definitely worth considering!).

Just check that the universities accept further maths as another subject, as A LOT of them consider it to be the same subject as maths, in which case, you'd have to be doing further maths plus at least 3 other subjects at A2 in Y13 in order to meet their requirements :smile:

hey! I'm the same, i want to do FM AS purely because I like maths! I know that Oxford consider Maths and FM separately but I'm not sure about other places..
I'm presuming you're doing Maths, Bio and Chem A2 :smile: Which unis are you applying to?
Reply 4
I did the whole maths A Level in Y12, along with Biology, Chemistry and Geography AS levels. I'm now doing Bio, Chem and Geog A2s in Y13, along with Further Maths AS and EPQ. I don't think doing the FM AS will give you much of an advantage wherever you apply tbh, but so long as you enjoy it then go for it! :biggrin: Just make sure it doesn't affect your other A2 results :wink:
I've applied to Cambridge, Exeter, UEA and Plymouth :smile:
Where else have you applied?
Reply 5
Original post by Ronove
If you want to do FM as your fourth AS then do it. It won't give you any advantage, though.

It would have to be my 5th AS because of how my school works. I know some people applying to medicine who did it purely to enhance their application for Oxbridge
Reply 6
Original post by cwi111
I did the whole maths A Level in Y12, along with Biology, Chemistry and Geography AS levels. I'm now doing Bio, Chem and Geog A2s in Y13, along with Further Maths AS and EPQ. I don't think doing the FM AS will give you much of an advantage wherever you apply tbh, but so long as you enjoy it then go for it! :biggrin: Just make sure it doesn't affect your other A2 results :wink:
I've applied to Cambridge, Exeter, UEA and Plymouth :smile:
Where else have you applied?

I'm currently in year 12 on track to do the whole maths A level along with Bio, Chem and Physics AS (and then FM AS in year 13). Thinking of applying to Oxford, Imperial, QMUL and then somewhere else. :smile:
How's EPQ going? I've signed up to do it but I feel like it'll be too much on top of everything else!
Reply 7
Original post by misstac
I'm currently in year 12 on track to do the whole maths A level along with Bio, Chem and Physics AS (and then FM AS in year 13). Thinking of applying to Oxford, Imperial, QMUL and then somewhere else. :smile:
How's EPQ going? I've signed up to do it but I feel like it'll be too much on top of everything else!

I think an EPQ in Y12 with all those other subjects might be a bit much - do you get the option to do it in Y13, starting the research over the summer holidays? :smile: I've nearly finished the research for mine and it's really time consuming! But having said that, I'd definitely recommend it, especially for a medicine application. I'm looking into whether the NHS should charge patients for the treatment of obesity and its subsequent effects (type 2 diabetes, heart disease, etc) and it's really interesting and will hopefully be able to talk about it at interview too :biggrin:
Reply 8
Sounds cool! Was it one of the main things you wrote about in your personal statement?
I think we have to start the EPQ in Y12 but the final presentation is in September of y13. I was thinking about doing it on something like the failure of healthcare systems leading to the Ebola pandemic but I'm not too sure if I'll continue with it.
How's BMAT prep going?
Original post by misstac
Hey guys,

http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/medicine
Reply 10
Original post by misstac
Sounds cool! Was it one of the main things you wrote about in your personal statement?
I think we have to start the EPQ in Y12 but the final presentation is in September of y13. I was thinking about doing it on something like the failure of healthcare systems leading to the Ebola pandemic but I'm not too sure if I'll continue with it.
How's BMAT prep going?

That sounds like a great topic if you do choose to carry on with it :biggrin:
BMAT prep's not going too bad thanks - I still hate the essay section as it's quite difficult to think of clear points to make, but it should come together by November 5th :3
Reply 11
Original post by cwi111
That sounds like a great topic if you do choose to carry on with it :biggrin:
BMAT prep's not going too bad thanks - I still hate the essay section as it's quite difficult to think of clear points to make, but it should come together by November 5th :3

I think i might, just not really finding the motivation to do it right now!
Ah essays suck, but yeah you've still got some time to prepare :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending