The Student Room Group

Further Maths for Physics at Uni

Hey guys,
How useful is FM AS/A2 for getting into unis to study physics?
Is there anyone who has got a place at a uni for physics who doesnt have FM?
(Should I forget applying to Oxford for physics without FM?)
Thanks!
I think it's favourable as it suggests you'll be able to cope with the mathematics in the second year. However at some places they bring you to Further Maths level in the first year so it's kind of redundant. It sucks to learn the same thing twice so I recommend finding out if your uni's bring you up to F.Maths level and if they do then take something else (something you enjoy).
Reply 2
Original post by The_Last_Melon
I think it's favourable as it suggests you'll be able to cope with the mathematics in the second year. However at some places they bring you to Further Maths level in the first year so it's kind of redundant. It sucks to learn the same thing twice so I recommend finding out if your uni's bring you up to F.Maths level and if they do then take something else (something you enjoy).

Are you doing/applying for a physics course at uni?
Original post by misstac
Are you doing/applying for a physics course at uni?

I got onto a Physics degree but dropped out in 2nd year.
Original post by misstac
Hey guys,
How useful is FM AS/A2 for getting into unis to study physics?
Is there anyone who has got a place at a uni for physics who doesnt have FM?
(Should I forget applying to Oxford for physics without FM?)
Thanks!

Pretty sure there will be unis which you can get into without FM, but as far as I know for top unis it's highly desirable
Reply 5
Original post by arcanum96
Pretty sure there will be unis which you can get into without FM, but as far as I know for top unis it's highly desirable

Are you applying for physics? If so which unis? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by AlphaNick
when universities say "further maths isn't compulsory but useful" they're basically saying yes, you would be a much stronger applicant if you had a good grade in it

Yeah I agree. are you applying for physics?
Nowhere requires you to have Further Maths at A level but if your applying for Oxford then its worthwhile taking it to at least AS. Top universities will say its highly desirable and it may give you an advantage over other applicants
Also some universities will drop the offer by one grade if you have further maths to A2
Reply 8
Original post by The_Last_Melon
I got onto a Physics degree but dropped out in 2nd year.

Oh why did you drop out? What are you doing now?:smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Sam280297
Nowhere requires you to have Further Maths at A level but if your applying for Oxford then its worthwhile taking it to at least AS. Top universities will say its highly desirable and it may give you an advantage over other applicants
Also some universities will drop the offer by one grade if you have further maths to A2

Oh which unis are those?
Original post by misstac
Oh why did you drop out? What are you doing now?:smile:

Just had a bad time at uni I guess and couldn't focus. Not doing much now.
Original post by misstac
Oh which unis are those?

I can't remember which ones, but when I was looking around I noticed one or two.
I know that for Surrey to do a joint honors in maths and physics they'll drop the grades from AAA to AAB if you do further but they dont for straight physics courses.

Quick Reply

Latest