The Student Room Group

I have huge ambitions but have so many questions

So what i want to do is basically revise and study as much as i can to get the grades i want and after yr11 i'll move onto going into sixth form what i wanted to know is can i do a level maths and business if wish so?

When im 16 i hopefully want to find a job and at the moment im thinking about working at next if they allow me my question is , do they allow 16 year olds to wor for them, how much do they pay and what sorts of skills and types of things would they look for employing me.??

After 6th form at 18 i wish to continue working for next till im around 20 or 22 then i wish to open my own businesses and wish to start my own companys

I wish to open a few restaurants takeaways and desert parlours after along side all them i'll hopefully have my own cars which i hire out... After that i wish to buy my own building and wish to turn that into a wedding venue and so on.
If i become any successful i'll form my own first company which will be a courier service which do parcel deliverys and packages for people and big companys soon after i'll buy my own properties and will be an estate agent if i have loads of money lastly i'll have my own coach company

Everyone keeps telling me i am too dumb for all that and i'll never becme what i want to do and im beginning to believe them :frown: someone please help me in anyway you can people tell me my ambitons are too big and i wont achieve them

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mahfooz458
So what i want to do is basically revise and study as much as i can to get the grades i want and after yr11 i'll move onto going into sixth form what i wanted to know is can i do a level maths and business if wish so?

When im 16 i hopefully want to find a job and at the moment im thinking about working at next if they allow me my question is , do they allow 16 year olds to wor for them, how much do they pay and what sorts of skills and types of things would they look for employing me.??

After 6th form at 18 i wish to continue working for next till im around 20 or 22 then i wish to open my own businesses and wish to start my own companys

I wish to open a few restaurants takeaways and desert parlours after along side all them i'll hopefully have my own cars which i hire out... After that i wish to buy my own building and wish to turn that into a wedding venue and so on.
If i become any successful i'll form my own first company which will be a courier service which do parcel deliverys and packages for people and big companys soon after i'll buy my own properties and will be an estate agent if i have loads of money lastly i'll have my own coach company

Everyone keeps telling me i am too dumb for all that and i'll never becme what i want to do and im beginning to believe them :frown: someone please help me in anyway you can people tell me my ambitons are too big and i wont achieve them

Ambitions can never be too big in my opinion. Yes you have to be realistic, but why can't you achieve this?
I think that you're thinking way way way into the future, which is a habit i have sometimes and never helps me. They may let you work at next at 16, im sure its fine as long as you have your national insurance number.
Focus on the here and now. You never know.. your ambitions may change in a few years.

Right so first, I don't know much about the English school system so the whole "should I take maths and business" I cant help with lol sorry.

You do have big ambitions but theres nothing stopping you from achieving them if you put your head to it!

I hate people that tell others they cant do something when the person can be capable of it! don't listen to others if they say you cant. bcos you're the only who is going to do it and if you believe you can, then of course you can...

:hugs:
Yes, why yes you can achieve your desire OP.
Huge, yes. But endeavour greatly.
I want a Ph.d in chemistry, and I'm only in year 10. :biggrin:
It's my only desire and goal.
Reply 4
Honestly, your 'ambitions' sound more like a bunch of random ideas you have come up with. Working at Next for 4 years isn't going to get you enough money to open your own business (without investment). God knows how you will be able to afford to open a few restaurants after that. Running a successful business isn't any where near as easy as you seem to think.
Reply 5
Original post by Princess31
Right so first, I don't know much about the English school system so the whole "should I take maths and business" I cant help with lol sorry.

You do have big ambitions but theres nothing stopping you from achieving them if you put your head to it!

I hate people that tell others they cant do something when the person can be capable of it! don't listen to others if they say you cant. bcos you're the only who is going to do it and if you believe you can, then of course you can...

:hugs:

thank you
Reply 6
Original post by Emily.97
Ambitions can never be too big in my opinion. Yes you have to be realistic, but why can't you achieve this?
I think that you're thinking way way way into the future, which is a habit i have sometimes and never helps me. They may let you work at next at 16, im sure its fine as long as you have your national insurance number.
Focus on the here and now. You never know.. your ambitions may change in a few years.

i think i cant achieve it because of people, they bring me down and tell me im too dumb for something and im never going to be able to do it
i think i cant achieve it because of people, they bring me down and tell me im too dumb for something and im never going to be able to do it

There's no reason for you to believe what they're saying. I understand it can get you down, but you need to be logical, rather than bow down to the prejudicial judgements of others. If you base what you believe on them then you'll never be able to thrive.
Reply 8
Original post by CRW1996
Honestly, your 'ambitions' sound more like a bunch of random ideas you have come up with. Working at Next for 4 years isn't going to get you enough money to open your own business (without investment). God knows how you will be able to afford to open a few restaurants after that. Running a successful business isn't any where near as easy as you seem to think.

i just want to work from 16 im young at the moment but i have the money already i have around 50k, i believe working at next will help me in a way
Reply 9
Original post by Emily.97
There's no reason for you to believe what they're saying. I understand it can get you down, but you need to be logical, rather than bow down to the prejudicial judgements of others. If you base what you believe on them then you'll never be able to thrive.

i think i believe what they are saying because they continuously do it and i think my confidence can be an issue too
i just want to work from 16 im young at the moment but i have the money already i have around 50k, i believe working at next will help me in a way

Why specifically Next?
Reply 11
Original post by SophieSmall
Why specifically Next?

i think it'll be fun in a way and it should allow me to connect with new people... if that makes sense
i think it'll be fun in a way and it should allow me to connect with new people... if that makes sense

Yeah but you could do that at any retail store, river island, top shop, forever 21 literally any but you are going for specifically next which means you are holding yourself back for no reason whatsoever.
Reply 13
Yeah but you could do that at any retail store, river island, top shop, forever 21 literally any but you are going for specifically next which means you are holding yourself back for no reason whatsoever.

i dont think i like river island or any other

You're not going to like every job, it's part of growing up and accepting responsibility and independence in life.
i think i believe what they are saying because they continuously do it and i think my confidence can be an issue too

The confidence is a clear problem, its probably worth evaluating to yourself what you think you are capable of.. or try and dispute what these people are saying.
Perhaps you should confide in somebody who you know believes in you, im sure that would be uplifting.
Sometimes you just need to be logical..why are they saying what they are? Do they have any justification?
Just focus on your aims and not what others are thinking, and also dont look too much ahead into the future, you're only putting pressure on yourself.

Where the **** did you get 50K?

What dont you like about these stores? The clothes? The staff? You dont necessarily have to like the clothes and what theyre selling to work for them. You cant be that picky, especially when a job is something you need.
Reply 18
You're not going to like every job, it's part of growing up and accepting responsibility and independence in life.

yes, i know that but if i dont like a job then what is the point of working there, i think i just want somewhere where i'll feel comfortable working i have some cousins working for next and one of them is a manager so i thought about working there as a normal employee
It's not that your ambitions are big, it's that they're ridiculously covert and just a mismatch of small life ambitions combined to make one strange life ambition. I'm not sure why you're so set on Next. I've had to apply to about 50 different part time jobs to get my first job, and retail stores usually make you jump through hoops with the online assessments and interviews just to work in their precious store for minimum wage. Not to mention you'd have to wait for a position at Next to actually arise.
Secondly, how do you expect to jump from working for your next to minimum/minimum wage at next to opening your own restaurant and dessert parlour? If it was that easy I'm sure plenty of people would prefer their own restaurant to a job in retail...
Your ambitions are FAR too specific. Perhaps by some off chance/by working VERY hard you'll one day achieve the equivalent to these dreams, but if you wait for these specific dreams to come true you most likely won't live long enough for them to happen.

Quick Reply

Latest