The Student Room Group

A levels to become a lawyer?

Hi,

I have absolutely no idea what to do as my fourth A level. I am choosing Psychology, Sociology and Politics and Government. Are these good A levels? I want to do a fourth AS level. I am thinking about English literature.. I like reading books, but I don't have really good writing skills. Currently, I am getting B's in my coursework.. I want to get As in my A levels. But, I'm not sure about English? Should I pick English Literature? Also if anyone is taking any of the courses which I have chosen, Please give me advice if anyone is taking the courses which I have chosen?
Thanks
Taking an essay-writing subject like English lit or history would be good. You will need good writing skills in a law degree.
Original post by _aishahxo_
Hi,

I have absolutely no idea what to do as my fourth A level. I am choosing Psychology, Sociology and Politics and Government. Are these good A levels? I want to do a fourth AS level. I am thinking about English literature.. I like reading books, but I don't have really good writing skills. Currently, I am getting B's in my coursework.. I want to get As in my A levels. But, I'm not sure about English? Should I pick English Literature? Also if anyone is taking any of the courses which I have chosen, Please give me advice if anyone is taking the courses which I have chosen?
Thanks

For Law you can pretty much take most respected subjects and so long as you have a genuine interest in law and have good grades be accepted on a law course. Obviously, having an arts subject like Literature is going to be advantageous because it demonstrates good analytical and writing ability but at the same time many universities respect a candidate with a background in the sciences due to the logic aspect those subjects (physics for example) require.

I would advice if you're not a maths/science student and are picking from the arts you include at least History or Literature in you're subject choices and keep that subject as one your main A2 choices. So for example you could take History/Literature, govt and politics, psychology and sociology. And keep Hist/Lit, g&p and psychology into A2.

It's good that you're researching this. So many people who want to take law at uni take it a-level without realising it gives no advantage and is in some cases frowned upon.

Hope I helped.
The most important thing is to get ABB at A-level since a lot of law firms now set filters that trash any application that doesn't meet that criteria. It doesn't matter too much what the subjects are but essay based ones like History are bound to help.
Reply 4
Original post by blondelocks
For Law you can pretty much take most respected subjects and so long as you have a genuine interest in law and have good grades be accepted on a law course. Obviously, having an arts subject like Literature is going to be advantageous because it demonstrates good analytical and writing ability but at the same time many universities respect a candidate with a background in the sciences due to the logic aspect those subjects (physics for example) require.

I would advice if you're not a maths/science student and are picking from the arts you include at least History or Literature in you're subject choices and keep that subject as one your main A2 choices. So for example you could take History/Literature, govt and politics, psychology and sociology. And keep Hist/Lit, g&p and psychology into A2.

It's good that you're researching this. So many people who want to take law at uni take it a-level without realising it gives no advantage and is in some cases frowned upon.

Hope I helped.

Thank you so much! I was planning on doing English literature, but many people said do English Literature if you are good at it. Also, people said it's challenging and hard.
However, I want to improve my writing skills. So I have decided I am going to do English literature. I would choose History, but I'm not really interested in the Russian revolution etc.
I've heard that taking good core subjects is the best sort of combination for Law. I've applied to do Law with:
English Lang (essay writing, brevity and analysis)
Maths (logic and problem solving)
and Chemistry (extrapolation, practical skills and, again, analysis)

I took Classical Civilisation for AS, which I took because I wanted to see how Law started off in Athens and then evolved into the courts we have today etc.

So yeah, core subjects and you shouldn't go wrong!

Good luck
Hi,

Thanks

I'd also like to do Law but I've taken none of the subjects you've mentioned apart from English Literature. (I'm doing maths, art and philosophy too) I've always been a lover of literature so I personally find it very enjoyable. Although there is A LOT of writing involved and you have to be extremely articulate. Unless you want anything below a B, I suggest you take it only if you're confident with writing.

I don't think you should worry too much about your subject choices, most universities have no entry requirements. Also, all ythe subjects you seem to be doing now show a good depth of analysis and key skills that would be quite relevant for Law. I know of someone who is currently at Cambridge with A-Levels in chemistry, physics, maths and further maths and is doing Law.
Thank you so much! I was planning on doing English literature, but many people said do English Literature if you are good at it. Also, people said it's challenging and hard.
However, I want to improve my writing skills. So I have decided I am going to do English literature. I would choose History, but I'm not really interested in the Russian revolution etc.

If you're currently getting B's in I presume GCSE, then I'm sure you have the aptitude to achieve a good grade at A-level with hard work. It is challenging and hard and universities are aware of this and thus it pays to have it. Good luck with your choices!
Reply 8
Thank you! I am going to work really hard at English A level. I know it is a risk, but I will challenge myself. As well as improve my writing skills.
Reply 9
minimum 2 (max 3 or 4) facilitating subjects are good but not compulsory unless you want to get into a good uni :smile: the russel group informed choices advises it!(look it up @ google if you don't know what I'm on about) I want to do law and I've chosen english lit, history, geography (facilitating subjects) and philosophy&ethics.

Quick Reply

Latest