The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

What's the quickest way to get to Imperial?

Hey...
I got a STEM Lecture which is going to be held at Imperial College London on the 29th of October.
I was thinking that the 366 bus towards Barking station is best as I need the district in order to get to Ealing Broadway. It will take 1hr and 13 minutes.
Good or not?
There is also the option to take the car, as it will take 44 minutes WITHOUT TRAFFIC...
But my family doesn't know about my confirmation place at this STEM Lecture!
I really need to attend this event for my research, it's a computing conference which involves cognitive research (neuroscience), too.
I'm 14 by the way, I'm going alone.
Shall I cancel or not?
Original post by inachigeek21
Hey...
I got a STEM Lecture which is going to be held at Imperial College London on the 29th of October.
I was thinking that the 366 bus towards Barking station is best as I need the district in order to get to Ealing Broadway. It will take 1hr and 13 minutes.
Good or not?
There is also the option to take the car, as it will take 44 minutes WITHOUT TRAFFIC...
I really need to attend this event for my research, it's a computing conference which involves cognitive research (neuroscience), too.
Shall I cancel or not?

Where are you travelling from? The tube's probably the best way to get there, assuming you live near a tube station. I wouldn't recommend driving there, there's not really anywhere to park.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by Chlorophile

Where are you travelling from? The tube's probably the best way to get there, assuming you live near a tube station. I wouldn't recommend driving there, there's not really anywhere to park.

So, I'm travelling from Ilford which is situated in East London.
Barking station isn't far, about 15 - 25 minutes away.
Best way?
So, I'm travelling from Ilford which is situated in East London.
Barking station isn't far, about 15 - 25 minutes away.
Best way?

If Barking is your nearest station, your best bet is probably going on the district line to South Kensington. It will take a while so you'll need to decide if it's worth it or not.

Another route suggested by TFL route planner which is shorter but involves more interchanges is District/H&C line to Mile End, then Central to Holborn, then Picadilly towards South Kensington.
(edited 9 years ago)
If Barking is your nearest station, your best bet is probably going on the district line to South Kensington. It will take a while so you'll need to decide if it's worth it or not.

Another route suggested by TFL route planner which is shorter but involves more interchanges is District/H&C line to Mile End, then Central to Holborn, then Picadilly towards South Kensington.

Ah, okay. Thank you.
I do not mind the first route to South Kensington on the district line by Barking station. 45 minutes is satisfactory, I'm planning to leave very early anyway.
However, Ilford station is also near.
What about Ilford?
Oh, and..
would you go to this lecture if your family does not know but you desperately need it?
Ah, okay. Thank you.
I do not mind the first route to South Kensington on the district line by Barking station. 45 minutes is satisfactory, I'm planning to leave very early anyway.
However, Ilford station is also near.
What about Ilford?
Oh, and..
would you go to this lecture if your family does not know but you desperately need it?

Ilford isn't on the tube map?

Can't you tell your family about it?
Ilford isn't on the tube map?

Can't you tell your family about it?

Ah, Barking it is then.
Nope, family will forbid me.
What is the route to come back from Imperial?
If you don't mind me asking.
Ah, Barking it is then.
Nope, family will forbid me.
What is the route to come back from Imperial?
If you don't mind me asking.

You'd come back the same way? And are you sure it's the best idea of doing this if your family doesn't know? You're only 14, you really shouldn't be going to the other side of London without your parents' permission...
You'd come back the same way? And are you sure it's the best idea of doing this if your family doesn't know? You're only 14, you really shouldn't be going to the other side of London without your parents' permission...

Ah...
If you had this opportunity, would you go?
I feel like I need to cancel.
Ah...
If you had this opportunity, would you go?
I feel like I need to cancel.

Well if there was a lecture I really want to go to, obviously I'd want to go, but only if my parents had given me permission.
Reply 10
Hey...
Good or not?
Shall I cancel or not?

Just to check, you meant towards Ealing Broadway rather than to, right?

Maybe a family member could attend the lecture with you? Okay actually, I've just realised that they'll be at work, which is when you're planning on sneaking out.
Anyway, the talk finishes in school hours, so they may not be as unwilling as you think to attend a place which if anything is going to be the next stage of education all while living at home.
Taking a chance at a possible reason they'll forbid you:
If you think they will forbid you because it'll get you closer to a non-medical/engineering discipline, then you could just phrase it explain to them it'll help you know more about the relevant out of - medical (through neuroscience bit) or Engineering(being a STEM talk), plus science in general (being a STEM talk), computing playing a big part in both the fields (obviously as that is what the talk is about) and furthermore, one of the highest rated unis in the country all while not being too far from home. :smile:

Edit:
The bit below worries me slightly, what kind of research is this at age 14! I think it's just the way you put it - 'really need to'
(edited 9 years ago)
Has anyone heard back for computing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending