The Student Room Group

Need help with my resources

Hi I did GCSE mathematics (Edexcel) about four years ago. Since then I have been working and have not continued with education.

I achieved a Grade B. Back then as you can guess I wasn't very into academics so in class I pretty much sat there and doodled every lesson and as cliche as it sounds I was the kid who studied and revised (lmao) the entire GCSE the night before. Hence me not getting a very good grade and only achieving a B.

Well I have decided that though I enjoy working where I do work I would like to go back to University and do a degree in Mechanical Engineering.

For this I would need to do the A-levels; Physics, Mathematics & (my choice - Biology). Biology seems to be very straightforward I have covered almost the entire AS section these past two months and seem to be getting A's on the past papers. I should mention that I am planning to do these A-levels in one year. Physics also seems to be straightforward as the only mathematics I have needed to learn so far has been scientific notation.

However as crazy as it seems I wish to get an A* in my A-level Mathematics.

These are the resources I currently have (I have not yet started).

*Maths watch - GCSE
*GCSE textbooks x3
*Access to the my maths website.

Essentially I wish to go over the entire GCSE syllabus this month and revisit everything. I was just wondering with all these resources would I get a complete education of GCSE Mathematics?
I mean without leaving out anything.

I want to make it clear that I haven't studied at all since I did my GCSE's. Which were very bad anyway due to personal circumstances; 5A's 2B's 3C's. This is why I wish to completely go over GCSE Mathematics. I just don't want to miss anything out and regret it later.

Do you think I should start with GCSE Mathematics or from an even lower Key Stage level?

I have a year, but luckily I am able to study full time everyday - with no other commitments, relationships etc.

I feel like I need to completely know GCSE Mathematics to be comfortable enough to move on to A-level Mathematics (Edexcel).

I would appreciate the help guys.

Thanks
Just gcse would be fine
Personally, I think that would be enough to cover all that you'll need to know for GCSE maths, although I would also complete some past papers to see which areas you may have missed or need to go over in more detail. There are loads of past papers and mark schemes online for whichever syllabus you are doing,
Hope this helps
Reply 3
So aslong as I cover all the content I have stated above + past papers I should be fine to move on to A-level Mathematics study?
yes, you should be fine and once you are getting at least A/A*'s on the GCSE maths paper you know you will be at a high enough level to move onto A level maths

Quick Reply

Latest