The Student Room Group

Confidence shattered. How do you get 'back on the horse'?

Since breaking up with my ex-boyfriend last year I've liked 2 guys, one after the other. But both of them rejected my advances- The first because he's "commitment phobic" and "didn't have feelings for me other than physical attraction" and the second because he moved to a different country. The second one was particularly bad because I fell really hard for him.

Now I know this wasn't necessarily my fault and it was maybe just bad luck. But part of me now believes that I'll never have any success in the dating/love department ever again. I'm too scared to make a move on someone in the future. Too scared of having my hopes dashed for a third time

At the risk of sounding cocky, I think I'm quite desirable, or at least have the potential to be: I'm not bad looking; blonde, slim, tall. I am nice to people, educated and do interesting things with my life. So (I don't think) that there's something wrong with me, but still my confidence has been shattered. How do you get back on the horse? So tempted just to give up and reside myself to the fact that I'll probably die alone surrounded by 27 pet cats... :/ haha
You just have to push yourself, and take a risk each time you put yourself out there. You sound like you are reasonably confident within yourself, so it is just a case of not being afraid of it going badly - which happens sometimes, but is worth it when it does go well.
Original post by Anonymous
Since breaking up with my ex-boyfriend last year I've liked 2 guys, one after the other. But both of them rejected my advances- The first because he's "commitment phobic" and "didn't have feelings for me other than physical attraction" and the second because he moved to a different country. The second one was particularly bad because I fell really hard for him.

Now I know this wasn't necessarily my fault and it was maybe just bad luck. But part of me now believes that I'll never have any success in the dating/love department ever again. I'm too scared to make a move on someone in the future. Too scared of having my hopes dashed for a third time

At the risk of sounding cocky, I think I'm quite desirable, or at least have the potential to be: I'm not bad looking; blonde, slim, tall. I am nice to people, educated and do interesting things with my life. So (I don't think) that there's something wrong with me, but still my confidence has been shattered. How do you get back on the horse? So tempted just to give up and reside myself to the fact that I'll probably die alone surrounded by 27 pet cats... :/ haha

Just put yourself out there, try to put yourself in a position where you meet a load of different guys, get to know a few that seem nice and just have some fun.

Its best not to insist on pre-defining things. THIS IS DEFINITELY GOING TO BE A RELATIONSHIP. Just have fun together, go out for drinks, have a laugh, have sex, enjoy yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending