The Student Room Group

My granddad died. Should I tell my flatmates

My granddad just died, and, to be honest, I think I'm still in the denial stage. I don't want to accept this fact, but when I do, I cry, and my flatmates hear/see me crying. Should I tell them....
Original post by Mermeth
My granddad just died, and, to be honest, I think I'm still in the denial stage. I don't want to accept this fact, but when I do, I cry, and my flatmates hear/see me crying. Should I tell them....

I'm sorry to hear about that :frown: .
You don't have to tell them, and I can see how it could be helpful too. If you don't want to I'm sure you could just say that it's personal and you'd rather not talk about it. If they're true friends and care then I'm sure they'll provide you with the right support :smile:
Take care
Yep. Only if they're your friends and care about you
Original post by Mermeth

Im really sorry for your loss

Yeah, im sure they would want to support them and it would help them to understand why you are so upset and might help them modify any plans for cheering you up. (If they think you are homesick they would understandably be tempted to drag you on a night out whereas if they know you are grieving they would support you differently- I hope)
Terribly sorry for your loss.
If you don't want to tell them now, that's fine.
They'll probably notice a change in your behaviour, or they might see/hear you crying, so maybe then would be okay?
Either way, tell them when you're ready.
Hope you feel better soon.
Sorry for your loss.

I wouldn't tell them if I were you. I remember losing someone close to me at uni and whenever I talked about it or thought about it too much I would cry. No-one really knows what to do in these situations and it'll probably just be really awkward.

Just hanging out with your friends normally without telling them might help you take your mind off it and it helps to show you that life does go on.
I am sure your friends would be happy to support you at this sad time. They will give you the space to grieve for your lost relative.

:bear:
yeah tell them i guess but don't keep on going on about it as that might annoy them

sorry for your loss!!
Original post by Mermeth

Sweetheart of course you should tell them. You have just lost a big part of your life and your flatmates will understand. A big hug over the internet from me:h:

Quick Reply

Latest