The Student Room Group

Voltage in a Parallel Circuit

Hi guys!

I know that when you have a parallel circuit with more than 1 identical cell (say each with a voltage of 9 volts), the circuit will have a voltage of equal to that cell (so using my example, the circuit will have a total voltage of 9 volts).

But what if the voltage of the cells are different (say you have a 9 and 7 volt cell). What will the total voltage of the circuit be in a parallel circuit?

Thanks! :biggrin:
Original post by ΘTheta
Hi guys!

I know that when you have a parallel circuit with more than 1 identical cell (say each with a voltage of 9 volts), the circuit will have a voltage of equal to that cell (so using my example, the circuit will have a total voltage of 9 volts).

But what if the voltage of the cells are different (say you have a 9 and 7 volt cell). What will the total voltage of the circuit be in a parallel circuit?

Thanks! :biggrin:

It depends on the resistance in the rest of the circuit and the internal resistance of the cells.
If you could give an actual example (circuit) it would be easier to give a definite answer.
Reply 2
You can work out what it would be draw a circuit and solve for voltages and currents using Kirchoff's Laws. Although the above suggests that there is not a consistent rule.

Quick Reply

Latest