The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

standard or premium???

Hi guys,
I have literally just arrived back home from the open day and I absolutely loved reading and my course (psychology) how its taught,the facilities etc. I also loved the town centre and was pleasantly surprised at how lively it was. The only thing I'm a bit unsure of is the accommodation, I really liked the premium ensuite rooms but the standard rooms are a lot cheaper and the rooms are just as nice the main difference is the kitchen in the premium flats are newer and the beds are bigger.
I really like reading but compared to other unis accomodation that's the same price as the standard room is much nicer (Liverpool) for example. I'd love some other opinions because I think it'll bey first choice
Thanks 😀
Hello!
I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed Reading on our recent open day! As for accommodation there are different types of rooms, some of which you wouldn't have been able to see on the open day as there are many halls. You can check this page which gives you all the pricing details and specifications:
http://www.reading.ac.uk/life/accommodation/life-room-types.aspx

I will say that even though the new halls are extremely nice, all the halls are maintained very well. In terms of pricing, do consider different room options. Whilst a slightly bigger bed is great, you will have less money to spend on other things which are perhaps more worthwhile. The halls where there are shared facilities get cleaned every weekday so bear this in mind as well.

Feel free to ask any more questions.
Pip, third year English Literature and History of Art
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Original post by UniofReading
Hello!
I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed Reading on our recent open day! As for accommodation there are different types of rooms, some of which you wouldn't have been able to see on the open day as there are many halls. You can check this page which gives you all the pricing details and specifications:
http://www.reading.ac.uk/life/accommodation/life-room-types.aspx

I will say that even though the new halls are extremely nice, all the halls are maintained very well. In terms of pricing, do consider different room options. Whilst a slightly bigger bed is great, you will have less money to spend on other things which are perhaps more worthwhile. The halls where there are shared facilities get cleaned every weekday so bear this in mind as well.

Feel free to ask any more questions.

Hello Pip,

In regards to your comment on having money to spend on other things. The accommodation I was looking at is unlikely to be covered by my loan although my parents seemed happy enough to make up the difference. Does this however mean that spending the whole loan on accommodation can leave you in a sticky financial situation when it comes to budgeting?

Thankyou.
Original post by JRHewett
Hello Pip,

In regards to your comment on having money to spend on other things. The accommodation I was looking at is unlikely to be covered by my loan although my parents seemed happy enough to make up the difference. Does this however mean that spending the whole loan on accommodation can leave you in a sticky financial situation when it comes to budgeting?

Thankyou.

Hello!

If your whole loan is to be spent on accommodation then yes, unfortunately it would place you in a tricky financial situation. Perhaps you can work out a weekly budget for yourself so you know how much you will be needing. You need to make allowance for
Food
Course materials
Toiletries
Social (society activities, outings with friends etc)
Clothes
Transport (if taking buses into town, but generally people walk or take their bikes)
Miscellaneous

Not all of these will be on your weekly budget. I will say that at the beginning of term it can get a bit pricey as you are doing lots of activities so be prepared to bring extra money, just so you don't run out. For course materials look at the books that are absolutely compulsory on your course- usually there are so many books on the reading list and you won't end up needing them all! Many people get their books when they arrive at uni so they know exactly what ones to get.

If your parents are willing to give you extra money to cover your living expenses at uni then that is great. There are always other more cheaper alternatives when it comes to accommodation and there are lots of ways to save money and opportunities to get a small job once you've settled in.

Please ask any more questions if need be!
Pip :bigsmile:
Reply 4
I've just heard that standard accommodation has mostly second years and the premium is for first years. Is this true? I really would prefer to be with other first years but I'm not sure if I'm willing to pay that much extra.
Original post by em211997
I've just heard that standard accommodation has mostly second years and the premium is for first years. Is this true? I really would prefer to be with other first years but I'm not sure if I'm willing to pay that much extra.

Hello,

No this isn't true. All halls contain people of different years, they are not separated according to year. The uni generally tries to put people in the same year in each flat. Despite this, you might find that there will be a mix of years in one flat. When I stayed in Windsor in my first year, the majority of the people in my flat were first years (in a flat of about 23) but there were a few people in their second year.

The best thing to do is to choose the hall you would like to live in and that is cost effective for you. It is very unlikely you will be the only first year in your flat! If you are still worried, then maybe specify in your application that you want to be with other freshers.

Feel free to ask any more questions on accommodation or anything else!
Reply 6
Original post by UniofReading
Hello,

No this isn't true. All halls contain people of different years, they are not separated according to year. The uni generally tries to put people in the same year in each flat. Despite this, you might find that there will be a mix of years in one flat. When I stayed in Windsor in my first year, the majority of the people in my flat were first years (in a flat of about 23) but there were a few people in their second year.

The best thing to do is to choose the hall you would like to live in and that is cost effective for you. It is very unlikely you will be the only first year in your flat! If you are still worried, then maybe specify in your application that you want to be with other freshers.

Feel free to ask any more questions on accommodation or anything else!

Thanks. What else must you specify when you apply for accommodation??
Original post by em211997
Thanks. What else must you specify when you apply for accommodation??

Hello,

If you would prefer being in a single sex flat then you would have to specify that you would like that. Generally the flats are mixed but there are single sex flats. It will all be in the application and you can specify on there which type of flat you would prefer.

Any more questions, do ask!
Pip :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending