The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Liverpool or Reading???

Hiya,
My original first choice was Liverpool, I visited and I loved it, loved my department and accommodation was really nice and modern yet quite affordable. However today after visiting reading I'm now very confused about my options I absolutely loved reading, the people the campus for me it had the whole package. The students and staff were so friendly and walked us all the way across campus to find buildings and we also were able to speak 1 to 1 with one of the professors of psychology about course content in detail as we missed the talk. It sounds weird but i can actually see myself there and its also a lot closer to london than Liverpool so that's a plus. The only thing I'm unsure of is the accomodation, the basic rooms are the same price as some of the nicest ones in Liverpool but apparently all halls in reading have a great family vibe.
Please help me all opinions would be appriciated particularly if you go to either of the unis or are thinking of doing so.
😀
i'm in the exact same position! i cant decide between the two. i visted reading and i'm in love with it (worried about accomidation too, very expensive and dunno which one most freshers go to so i'm scared i'd end up in halls with like 2nd years). but everyone has told me how amazing liverpool is and it's a russell group university too and its meant t o be a really nice place. but i wanted to go south cos weather and nearer to london so yeah let me know what you decide
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Reply 2
What a coincidence haha. I think I'm gonna have to put reading first I loved it so much! I got a better vibe from reading when I visited. They're both really good though but but I think reading had a friendlier atmosphere like the students and staff were absolutely fantastic and really friendly and helpful. The city is beautiful and the cost for travel will be a lot less especially when you first move in the journey driving would be soooo long to get up to Liverpool
Original post by em211997
What a coincidence haha. I think I'm gonna have to put reading first I loved it so much! I got a better vibe from reading when I visited. They're both really good though but but I think reading had a friendlier atmosphere like the students and staff were absolutely fantastic and really friendly and helpful. The city is beautiful and the cost for travel will be a lot less especially when you first move in the journey driving would be soooo long to get up to Liverpool

Aww I'm from Gibraltar so traveling to liverpool is easier but I'm probablyy gonna put reading first too basically for the same reasons, like I couldn't make the open day and it was the only Uni out of a few which like arranged for me to meet with the teachers and stuff and I think it'd enjoy it a lot. I just wish is was regarded as a higher uni than it is like it seemed amazing I dunno how it's not higher in league tables. I was thinking of liverpool xos of Russell group and stuff but oh well at the end of the day it's which you like most. if I get an offer put liverpool I'll probably put it as insurance which is kinda silly as if I don't get into reading I won't get into liverpool but oh well haha what are you gonna study?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by lalalalisha
Aww I'm from Gibraltar so traveling to liverpool is easier but I'm probablyy gonna put reading first too basically for the same reasons, like I couldn't make the open day and it was the only Uni out of a few which like arranged for me to meet with the teachers and stuff and I think it'd enjoy it a lot. I just wish is was regarded as a higher uni than it is like it seemed amazing I dunno how it's not higher in league tables. I was thinking of liverpool xos of Russell group and stuff but oh well at the end of the day it's which you like most. if I get an offer put liverpool I'll probably put it as insurance which is kinda silly as if I don't get into reading I won't get into liverpool but oh well haha what are you gonna study?

Its still an amazing Uni, some unis refuse Russell group status lol so it may be the case with reading too. Its higher on the league tables overall and for my subject (psychology) too. Sorry for the super late reply I'm still getting used to site :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by em211997
Its still an amazing Uni, some unis refuse Russell group status lol so it may be the case with reading too. Its higher on the league tables overall and for my subject (psychology) too. Sorry for the super late reply I'm still getting used to site :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's fine I still don't fully understand tsr tbh hahaha and really? I didn't know that haha and yeah possibly and wow I just checked and you're right they are higher hmm I think they deserve to be higher in the league tables tbh and I'm not even there yet hahah and yeah good luck with psychology I'm slightly envious I was considering a psychology degree instead of history but decided to go for history and I'll do like a special module in psychology 2nd year :smile: have you looked into accommodation yet? I'm really confused by it all cos the one I wanted to go to apparently always has like 2nd years and I'd hate that so now I might apply for the most expensive accommodation (If I get an offer, I'm kinda a worrier) and yeah I dunno if freshers will be going to that one and Ye haha
Reply 6
Original post by lalalalisha
It's fine I still don't fully understand tsr tbh hahaha and really? I didn't know that haha and yeah possibly and wow I just checked and you're right they are higher hmm I think they deserve to be higher in the league tables tbh and I'm not even there yet hahah and yeah good luck with psychology I'm slightly envious I was considering a psychology degree instead of history but decided to go for history and I'll do like a special module in psychology 2nd year :smile: have you looked into accommodation yet? I'm really confused by it all cos the one I wanted to go to apparently always has like 2nd years and I'd hate that so now I might apply for the most expensive accommodation (If I get an offer, I'm kinda a worrier) and yeah I dunno if freshers will be going to that one and Ye haha

Ah ok they mentioned that to me about doing a module in something else too, part of me also wants to do a placement year. Do u think once I go I can add a placement on??? And really is the standard accommodation for mostly second years :eek: I wasn't told that!!:confused:
Reply 7
I realise this is a very late reply, so sorry if you've already decided. But I'm currently at Reading, but am originally from Liverpool, and have a few friends there. So if you have any questions, fire away.
Reply 8
Original post by dh2311
I realise this is a very late reply, so sorry if you've already decided. But I'm currently at Reading, but am originally from Liverpool, and have a few friends there. So if you have any questions, fire away.

No worries I've already received all my offers and am going to firm reading and have Portsmouth as my insurance. What's your take on reading? Liverpool is too far and seems impractical now.
Original post by dh2311

Which do you prefer as a place?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending