The Student Room Group

My friends got offers without declaring their AS grades...

So basically my friend is resitting some modules from all of his AS Levels and just put 'Pending' for all his AS grades. This is what a teacher told him to do, apparently. He didn't even put in the grades for modules he isn't resitting.
Nowhere on his application did he state his AS grades (they weren't very good) So all the universities had to go on were his much higher predicted grades. He's got offers from two mid-range universities so far. Another friend did this and so far has one offer from the same university.

I don't understand how or why this happened because apparently you aren't allowed to do this. Is it possible they made a mistake?

If I just misunderstood and you can do this, then it would benefit me quite a bit because my AS grades are bad.

So I need a bit of guidance...is it OK to put pending for your AS grades if you're resitting them? if not, how come this happened? Has anyone else got offers this way?

Scroll to see replies

"Has anyone else got offers this way?"

Probably but it's against UCAS rules, if UCAS found out or their choices they'd be rejected.
I believe that private schools still do not have to "cash in" AS levels. If he's at a private school, and those rules still apply then he's allowed to do this.

However, if his AS grades are that much lower than his predicted grades, chances are he will miss his offer anyway.
Reply 3
As far as I'm aware you -HAVE- to put all of your grades on; if you didn't, I would've dropped 2 D's I picked up from courses I knew I was leaving :c

If the predicted are out of reach he runs the risk of not getting in full-stop. On the other hand, if he's not far off he might get in on clearing regardless, presuming they don't check and drop the banhammer on him.

It's not -supposed- to happen, because you do have to declare anything that isn't a U.
If they were to check the results and find he'd tactically chosen to leave them off, he may even run the risk of having ALL of his University choices being made aware that he's technically lied on his application.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
I believe that private schools still do not have to "cash in" AS levels. If he's at a private school, and those rules still apply then he's allowed to do this.

However, if his AS grades are that much lower than his predicted grades, chances are he will miss his offer anyway.

I'm applying from a private school and all our AS results are/were cashed in.
Reply 5
What you wrote isn't unheard of, but I wouldn't advise you to do something like this.

What?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Катя

Yes, the majority of private schools cash in AS results, but unlike state schools they don't have to, so some choose to not cash them in.
I haven't declared my AS grades on my UCAS as I didn't certificate as my school has the policy of not doing so unless you're a medicine /dentistry/ Oxbridge candidate. All unis see are my predicted grades (A*BB) and my gcses (3A* 7A). I didn't so very well at AS so this non certification policy works out well for me but for for some it doesn't, my friend has ABBC and school wouldn't allow her to certificate.
It's not a problem with UCAS IF the grades aren't cashed in / certificated. However, you must declare all grades you have certificates for.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah I went to a private school and ours was the first year to cash in AS, also we didn't cash in Maths but idk if that's normal or not
Original post by Wahrheit
Yeah I went to a private school and ours was the first year to cash in AS, also we didn't cash in Maths but idk if that's normal or not

Why did you only do two years of Maths at Warwick?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stupid question but what does 'cash in' actually mean? :tongue:
Universities will accept anyone these days, because the £9k a year fees (which tbh, I thought it was a scam at £3k) makes it so offputting so they're desperate to get anyone in.
Original post by Катя

Obviously a lot of private schools do this, but the point is they don't have to, unlike state schools which do.

Original post by Edminzodo
What?!

Up until fairly recently, no-one had to cash in AS results at all, and lots of people applied without declaring them. Obviously, now, as the majority of applicants do declare their AS results, not declaring them makes it look a bit like you have something to hide.

Original post by z1ggystardust
Stupid question but what does 'cash in' actually mean? :tongue:

Cashing in refers to AS levels being treated like stand alone qualifications, and means they have to be declared on your UCAS form. If you don't "cash in" your AS modules, then you don't hold an AS qualification, and don't have to declare it.
Obviously a lot of private schools do this, but the point is they don't have to, unlike state schools which do.

Up until fairly recently, no-one had to cash in AS results at all, and lots of people applied without declaring them. Obviously, now, as the majority of applicants do declare their AS results, not declaring them makes it look a bit like you have something to hide.

Cashing in refers to AS levels being treated like stand alone qualifications, and means they have to be declared on your UCAS form. If you don't "cash in" your AS modules, then you don't hold an AS qualification, and don't have to declare it.

Oh okay - thank you! :smile:
Original post by z1ggystardust
Oh okay - thank you! :smile:

BTW it's not a stupid question. If you go to a school that cashes in AS levels, then there's no real reason for you to know about it. The only reason you'd need to know is if you went to a school where you had a choice about declaring your AS levels or not.
Should I declare that I got a B in AS level Maths?(By the way,resitting it in the summer)
Original post by Skill Twix
Should I declare that I got a B in AS level Maths?(By the way,resitting it in the summer)

A B ISN'T BAD. WHY NOT?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo
A B ISN'T BAD. WHY NOT?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I’ve been predicted an A* for A-levels(due to my current performance).I think universities might consider my grades have been inflated.
BTW it's not a stupid question. If you go to a school that cashes in AS levels, then there's no real reason for you to know about it. The only reason you'd need to know is if you went to a school where you had a choice about declaring your AS levels or not.

I dont think anyone has a choice. If your school cashes in you must declare your grades and if your school doesn't cash in you can't declare them.

My school doesn't cash in so we have to put 'pending' for all our AS and A2s. Shame as I'd like to declare mine. Suits some people though who got (eg) bccc and have been predicted AAB! Not that I'm bitter.

Quick Reply

Latest