The Student Room Group

Paralegaling or do LPC

Hello All,

Just hoping someone can provide some advice here. I've been a paralegal for about 8 months now have to choose between LPC in January 2015 or Sept 2015. But the dilemma is as follows:

The paralegal position is a fixed term year contract with not prospect of a TC. This will end mid next year which means that if i continue with the job, i would have to do my LPC in Sept 2015. My contract expires mid year so i would have to fill time for 5 months.

Alternatively, I can leave now and do the LPC in January.

Essentially its a question of work experience vs qualification. I've literally been going round in circles for the last month with no hope of making a firm decision.

Would appreciate any input anyone has.
If you have enough money to spare for doing LPC then go for it as this would take the financial burden off your future employers in sponsoring your LPC. But remember, having done LPC but not being able to secure a training contract would lead you nowhere as you are still in the same level as a paralegal who has not done LPC, i.e. you would still claim the same grade of hourly rate. You may have heard that LPC is very overrated given that getting a training contract is pretty much down to luck or 'who-you-know'.

If you are not willing to put all eggs in one basket, then continue paralegalling and see what comes along. If you are still very interested in pursuing law as your career, then CILEX would be a good alternative. Once you are qualified as a CILEX, you do not need a training contract and still be able to qualify as a solicitor if you do your LPC after that. No doubt it takes longer time to get qualified but it's a safer and more costs effective option given that you can still earn money when you are paralegalling and CILEX can be done on a part-time basis.

Before asking yourself whether you should study LPC or continue working as a paralegal, the main questions are to ask yourself whether you want to make law your life career and if you have the personality to fit in the legal sector. If the answers are 100% yes for both, then by all means, invest the time and money but if you are not too sure, then a wait-and-see approach would result less regrets.

Good luck.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Do both? I do the LPC part time while paralegaling
I'd work as a paralegal whilst applying for a TC. Having the experience is only going to help when it comes to securing a TC and I can never understand people paying for the LPC when so many firms cover the cost of it. Once you've worked in a firm and seen the sheer number of people that are still working as paralegals despite having paid for their LPC you're unlikely to see the point in taking that kind of a risk.
Reply 4
Original post by a_t
Do both? I do the LPC part time while paralegaling

Hey how was part time LPC and full time paralegaling? I'm planning on doing the same.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending