The Student Room Group

Constant acceleration dotted with constant velocity?

So I have been told at time t=0 a particle leaves the origin, with initial velocity V, and is subject to a steady acceleration A.

Part of the question asks me to find X(displacement) dot V hat (V hat being the unit vector in direction on V)

I have already found an expression for X previously. Anyway I have written the answer out in terms of A and V and t, and part of the expression contains: A dot V. Now for my answer to match that of the mark scheme, A dot V has to be 0...I know a constant acceleration and constant speed implies that velocity and acceleration are orthogonal (and hence have a dot product of 0), but I'm not sure how this applies here since V is a constant vector. Is there some reason why A and V dotted are zero, or have I gone wrong and by chance my answer matches the markscheme when I set them equal to 0?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Student10011
So I have been told at time t=0 a particle leaves the origin, with initial velocity V, and is subject to a steady acceleration A.

Part of the question asks me to find X(displacement) dot V hat (V hat being the unit vector in direction on V)

I have already found an expression for X previously. Anyway I have written the answer out in terms of A and V and t, and part of the expression contains: A dot V. Now for my answer to match that of the mark scheme, A dot V has to be 0...I know a constant acceleration and constant speed implies that velocity and acceleration are orthogonal (and hence have a dot product of 0), but I'm not sure how this applies here since V is a constant vector. Is there some reason why A and V dotted are zero, or have I gone wrong and by chance my answer matches the markscheme when I set them equal to 0?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Is there any chance you can upload or link us to the original question and mark scheme?

It's a bit difficult to comment just on the basis of what you've posted :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by davros
Is there any chance you can upload or link us to the original question and mark scheme?

It's a bit difficult to comment just on the basis of what you've posted :smile:

Essentially I have a constant acceleration A. An initial velocity V. Why is V dot A = 0
Essentially I have a constant acceleration A. An initial velocity V. Why is V dot A = 0
There is no reason for V.A to equal zero based on what you have posted.

Which is why you're being asked to post the entire question.
Reply 4
Original post by DFranklin
There is no reason for V.A to equal zero based on what you have posted.

Which is why you're being asked to post the entire question.

at t = 0, particle leaves origin, with initial velocity V and is subjected to constant acceleration A. The angle between them is theta, where theta is greater than 0 but less than or equal to pi.

By finding expressions for v(t) AND x(t), evaluate x(t) dot V hat (unit vector in direction on V).

That's the first part. I think this may be where I'm going wrong
Reply 5
at t = 0, particle leaves origin, with initial velocity V and is subjected to constant acceleration A. The angle between them is theta, where theta is greater than 0 but less than or equal to pi.

By finding expressions for v(t) AND x(t), evaluate x(t) dot V hat (unit vector in direction on V).

That's the first part. I think this may be where I'm going wrong

Oh hang on..I've just gone through and checked my second answer, and I'm missing a V dot A, which when equated will cancel with the one I have now, leading to the correct answer! Sorry, stupid error.

Quick Reply

Latest