The Student Room Group

Is my boyfriend about to break up with me?

We've been in a relationship for approximately 2 years now - he's my first everything (I was completely captivated by him since being like 12 years old)

We're now both 18 and this has been both of our first proper relationships - I adore him :frown: he went through a severe stage of depression last year, which was HORRENDOUS for me - I had to deal with threats of suicide and constant crying but I stuck by him. I stuck by him because I am so in love with who he is (this is where I start to get a little bit teary)

He adored me, we were THAT couple that everyone just knew was perfect for one another. Both weird and lost in our own little worlds, he became my best friend and my everything. But NOW - when I'm going through a little bit of a bad time - (I wouldn't say it was depression but basically just feeling vulnerable and sad and of a similar nature) - he can't handle it.

All I need is someone to reassure me and tell me he loves me but he's began shouting at me, embarrassing me in public, not texting me back :frown:

How can I prepare for this break up? In a sensible person and I feel like I can't be naive and wait until it catches me off guarded - the best thing I can do is to be prepared. How do I regain my sense of individuality? Regain my old friends? He was my everything :frown:

Is, my everything :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by orangem00ns
We've been in a relationship for approximately 2 years now - he's my first everything (I was completely captivated by him since being like 12 years old)

We're now both 18 and this has been both of our first proper relationships - I adore him :frown: he went through a severe stage of depression last year, which was HORRENDOUS for me - I had to deal with threats of suicide and constant crying but I stuck by him. I stuck by him because I am so in love with who he is (this is where I start to get a little bit teary)

He adored me, we were THAT couple that everyone just knew was perfect for one another. Both weird and lost in our own little worlds, he became my best friend and my everything. But NOW - when I'm going through a little bit of a bad time - (I wouldn't say it was depression but basically just feeling vulnerable and sad and of a similar nature) - he can't handle it.

All I need is someone to reassure me and tell me he loves me but he's began shouting at me, embarrassing me in public, not texting me back :frown:

How can I prepare for this break up? In a sensible person and I feel like I can't be naive and wait until it catches me off guarded - the best thing I can do is to be prepared. How do I regain my sense of individuality? Regain my old friends? He was my everything :frown:

Is, my everything :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Take a deep breath. It will be okay. Have you tried talking to your boyfriend? Not about your fear that he'll end things, but that you feel like your relationship has changed.
Reply 2
Original post by Coffeetime
Take a deep breath. It will be okay. Have you tried talking to your boyfriend? Not about your fear that he'll end things, but that you feel like your relationship has changed.

I have, and it always results in him getting angry with me. He says he'll be stronger for me and that we can get through "this" and I think everything's going to be okay

But then the next day he just proves both of us wrong again by not texting/calling me, getting angry at little things with me, leaving me crying in public etc.

I'm kind of just wanting to prep myself for what might be round the corner but I don't know how to :frown:

I'm also giving him some space now, not texting him until he texts me, hanging up first when he calls (well planning on, he hasn't called yet ha ha)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Beat him to it, and break up with him first.:wink:
Just break up with him. Don't let any guy treat you like crap.

You have your whole life ahead of you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
This is the guy I adored for 5 years, the only person to ever understand who I am, I can't be myself around anyone else but him.

I'm the only person for him, I just fear he's growing tired of me now. And as stupidly cliche as I sound right now I can't break up with him. I am still wholeheartedly in love with him :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow, I'm there right now with the 'guy I adorded, my everything, can't imagine life without him' stuff.
For me, it's heen, and still is, really hard. We spent all our time together so my life feels like it's just nothing. So what is suggest is try doing your own thing, reconnect with friends if you can, pursue hobbies. You don't want to break up with him because you love him, so doing this - having your own life - might make him value you as you're not always there. And it'll make you generally stronger and happier in yourself.
Reply 7
I feel like I've kind of unconsciously pushed my old friends away during these past two years, we still kind of chat occasionally and I'll get invited to big occasions or birthdays but nothing regular :/ I feel like I can't really be friends with them anymore because they've all changed so much and so have I

It wasn't a problem before, because he was my best friend ...but now I keep finding myself feeling very lonely...:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by joker12345
Wow, I'm there right now with the 'guy I adorded, my everything, can't imagine life without him' stuff.
For me, it's heen, and still is, really hard. We spent all our time together so my life feels like it's just nothing.

It's the worst feeling in the world, losing the one thing that makes you whole :frown: I really hope things start looking up for you soon, but in cases like this "pain demands to be felt" (sorry for quoting that ridiculously cliche book - but I guess it is true!) x

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel like I've kind of unconsciously pushed my old friends away during these past two years, we still kind of chat occasionally and I'll get invited to big occasions or birthdays but nothing regular :/ I feel like I can't really be friends with them anymore because they've all changed so much and so have I

It wasn't a problem before, because he was my best friend ...but now I keep finding myself feeling very lonely...:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Again, exactly the same situation. When you find someone you connect with so well it's so easy to just drift from other people. And then you feel so alone.

It's the worst feeling in the world, losing the one thing that makes you whole :frown: I really hope things start looking up for you soon, but in cases like this "pain demands to be felt" (sorry for quoting that ridiculously cliche book - but I guess it is true!) x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, sadly I don't think that'll happen for me. But don't despair - your relationship is still there, you don't need to assume it'll be over. Definitely try not to show him how you're feeling about it - being lonely and desparate will just make him think you'll always be there if he ever wants you and he'll lose interest.
I had the same, ex was depressed etc, also as a bonus it was mainly depression about his ex who he talked about constantly for the first year of our relationship.
Then later when I went through a bad time he couldn't deal with it, even when I pointed out is done it all and more for him.

He was a ***** though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So you don't even know if he is going to break up with you, yet people are still telling you to break up with him first? That attitude will get you nowhere, and will lead to you making a lot of mistakes, ignore those people.

Maybe he is going through a rough period as well, and can't give you 100% of his focus, 100% of the time.
Original post by Arkasia
So you don't even know if he is going to break up with you, yet people are still telling you to break up with him first? That attitude will get you nowhere, and will lead to you making a lot of mistakes, ignore those people.

Maybe he is going through a rough period as well, and can't give you 100% of his focus, 100% of the time.

I think the people saying that are doing so more on the basis that she supported him through so much but he just cba when it's her, and she needs less support than he did.
Original post by joker12345
I think the people saying that are doing so more on the basis that she supported him through so much but he just cba when it's her, and she needs less support than he did.

We don't know he 'cba', maybe he has problems of his own and can't manage to do everything. Maybe he does try, and she just blames him on here for stuff he didn't do (i.e imagined him ignoring her, embarrassing her could mean anything). I take first person emotional accounts with a pinch of salt because of the bias involved.
Heartache is hard. Why do you think there are SO many songs and films about it?

You need to talk to him and ask him what he wants. Men don't like to feel smothered, they like their independence and they like their partner to be independent too!

Maybe try and get a bit of distance from him? Good distance I mean, like rekindling your friendships with your girl friends, doing your own thing, enjoying your spare time by yourself. It's not good for you to be so attached to one person.
He doesn't have any problems at the moment, none that are having an effect on him in any huge ways. He's told me, he's gained sooo much confidence because of me and it's the first time in months he hasn't had low self esteem or depression issues. He's said himself that he just feels like he's on top of the world right now.

Which is why it hurts to know he can't be there for me just a little bit, when I went through hell and back with him.

He's left me crying in the middle of my sixth form which has led to other people coming up to me (strangers) and asking if I'm okay. Being a relatively shy person this is horrifying for me, as I hate showing emotions like that to other people.

Today has been a lot better though, I didn't text him all day until he text me - and he was very much lovey and normal when he did :smile:)) my worries are gone at least for the time being, so only time will tell I guess :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RowingGoose
Heartache is hard. Why do you think there are SO many songs and films about it?

You need to talk to him and ask him what he wants. Men don't like to feel smothered, they like their independence and they like their partner to be independent too!

Maybe try and get a bit of distance from him? Good distance I mean, like rekindling your friendships with your girl friends, doing your own thing, enjoying your spare time by yourself. It's not good for you to be so attached to one person.

You're right, I'm going to make some plans with my girl friends (I needed to do that anyway to be honest) - and I think it'll make it easier for us to appreciate one another :smile: he's an incredibly emotionally involved guy which is why it took me by surprise at first, he's always been SO adoring of me that this sudden coldness feels weird :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending