The Student Room Group

IMPACT OF WORDS 'COULD' spoken language

I'm doing an english spoken language essay on david cameron and he often uses the modal verb 'could' in the context of the Scottish referendum. In one instance he says 'indeed, it could end the united kingdom as we know it' what effect does this have and why does he use it, any suggestions on analysis?
modals are often used by people who obtain power as a language technique that suggests possibility. Depending on the circumstances in some cases such as war imperatives such as must and will are used to motivate a large audience but when it is an undecided nation such as the Scottish referendum in which the outcome is decided by the public so modals show possibility.
Hope this helps
From an A level English Language student
x
Reply 2
Original post by rhian_miles
modals are often used by people who obtain power as a language technique that suggests possibility. Depending on the circumstances in some cases such as war imperatives such as must and will are used to motivate a large audience but when it is an undecided nation such as the Scottish referendum in which the outcome is decided by the public so modals show possibility.
Hope this helps
From an A level English Language student
x

omg thank you so much!x please may you check my essay?
Original post by rumana101
omg thank you so much!x please may you check my essay?

Happily PM me x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending