The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
:rolleyes: whats a pashinma? :confused:

im having to fork out loads for all these balls. ive got to buy 2 suits and a tux.

any chance i can just skip matriculation and sleep or would they know?:rolleyes:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
surely pashminas are occasionally useful? And not just for blowing your nose in or using as tea towels?
Reply 22
Get down to your local charity shops. WHy do you need 2 suits?
Reply 23
theres the first day evening meal and then the matriculation, might get laughed at if i wear the same thing. i dont know, i got the impression that durhamites were of the stuck up, toffy nosed type :rolleyes:
Reply 24
Are you in a gown giving college? Dares you to go with nothing on under your gown.
Reply 25
no st cuthberts.

can i ask again? what happens if i just skip the matriculation, would they know?
Reply 26
No idea
Reply 27
Nope they wouldn't. However it's worth going to it and noone will give a **** if you wear the same thing twice.
Reply 28
kk thankydoodle, im goign to look for soemthign tomorrow anyway.

is the first evening meal meant to be for suits, or can you just wear a shirt and trousers?
Reply 29
Pashminas are a tricky one...surely they're pretty much just scarves? I can hardly go against scarves. But I don't like what a lot of people who wear pashminas put them with.
I would imagine suits are preferred. Also, you don't really need a dinner jacket/tux, just the shirt worn under a regular suit will do. That's what i have always done and never had any complaints
theres the first day evening meal and then the matriculation, might get laughed at if i wear the same thing. i dont know, i got the impression that durhamites were of the stuck up, toffy nosed type

I doubt anyone would even notice, let alone care if you wore the same suit twice. It's girls that are "supposed" to wear something different to every ball, not guys. All suits look pretty much the same from a distance anyway (to an extent). If I were you, I'd spend the money you were gonna spend on 2 suits on one decent one. It does look smarter if you wear a dinner jacket to black tie events (they're slightly differently cut), but no-one's gonna make you a pariah if you wear a black suit jacket to one.
Kingers
what happens if i just skip the matriculation, would they know?

I almost skipped matriculation through over-sleeping. I had forgot to lock my door however, and the helpful (:mad:) fresher rep helpfully walked in, drew my curtains and shook me until i got up.
BTW, a pashmina is just a gigantic silly scarf.
Reply 34
Mattmoy_2000
I doubt anyone would even notice, let alone care if you wore the same suit twice. It's girls that are "supposed" to wear something different to every ball, not guys. All suits look pretty much the same from a distance anyway (to an extent). If I were you, I'd spend the money you were gonna spend on 2 suits on one decent one. It does look smarter if you wear a dinner jacket to black tie events (they're slightly differently cut), but no-one's gonna make you a pariah if you wear a black suit jacket to one.

I've got a plain black suit, which I plan to wear with white shirt and dark tie, for matriculation/formal.

* IDEA for Kingers/Myself/Anyone else: You could try changing shirt/tie if you fancy a bit of variety with one suit. What do people think?

I'd like to get a Dinner Jacket later on too; when is the first event I might want one? (St. Chad's btw)

Neil
That sounds like a fantastic idea neil. The first time you might want a DJ is for freshers' ball, but it's shyte, so don't go. It's probably best to buy the DJ with the trousers that go with it, as if you put it with your other suit's trousers they might be a slightly different shade of black, which would be noticable. DJ trousers also have a silk/satin stripe down the outside of each leg (and trousers for a tailcoat have 2, but this is incredibly rare to see).
Reply 36
Mattmoy_2000
That sounds like a fantastic idea neil. The first time you might want a DJ is for freshers' ball, but it's shyte, so don't go. It's probably best to buy the DJ with the trousers that go with it, as if you put it with your other suit's trousers they might be a slightly different shade of black, which would be noticable. DJ trousers also have a silk/satin stripe down the outside of each leg (and trousers for a tailcoat have 2, but this is incredibly rare to see).

Thank's for the info! Any recommendations of where to get a DJ in Durham?

Just noticed you are from Southend, near me! (I'm from Rayleigh, went to school at Westcliff)

Neil
NeilD
Thank's for the info! Any recommendations of where to get a DJ in Durham?

There is a shop in town that you can hire one from i think
Reply 38
Mattmoy_2000

From a personal point of view, tailcoats are definitely preferable.
Reply 39
Few things:

1. Someone said that Tux's look like a giant bib around you. I know what you mean, but that's not a Tux.....well it may well be, but no-one wears those in Durham. A Tux in Durham is basically just a black suit (though as Matt says with silk stripes down the legs), a white shirt (usually one made for wearing bow ties - with the funny collars) and a bow tie! None of this "bib" malarky!

2. As Neil said - change your shirt and tie!!! I have ONE suit and one tux....the tux is only worn for big events, and I have worn that one suit for 2 years of formal events now!! However I have numerous shirts and ties and just choose a different combination each time. And trust me, people will notice it - I wore a black shirt and white tie combination one time and people were like "Ooh thats nice!". They don't care about the trousers and suit jacket, they just care about the colourful bits :smile:

3. Go to Matriculation. Later in life (maybe not that much later!) you may bring a friend to Durham, show them the Cathedral and you won't believe how good it feels to tell them that when you start University you go into that 12th /13th Century building for a talk...all wearing gowns and suits. It's an awesome feeling :smile:

Latest