The Student Room Group

UCAS track down affecting applications

Hi there,
My friend and I were talking and were wondering exactly how universities email applicants with information,about acknowledging applications,offer giving out,etc. Does this all happen indirectly through Ucas or do unis send emails directly to you? So if Ucas track is down (as it is currently) does this mean that no unis will be able to email applicants?
Cheers in advance,and sorry about my confusion :tongue:

Scroll to see replies

Generally, unis operate through UCAS and also email the applicant directly (emails tend to be recieved before Track updates anyway, but this does vary). Some even have their own application tracking systems for applicants, so they dont have to use track to see their app progress.

They directly email when they receive your app, and usually get back to you with their decision by email too.

Im not sure how UCAS being down will affect this. It probably wont. :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Ah Okayy! Thank you :smile: so all emails send emails when they receive your application? I've applied to Exeter,Nottingham,Birmingham,Liverpool and brunel on Thursday and have only received acknowledgement emails from Exeter and brunel :/ is this bad? (sorry for the slightly off topic question haha)
Reply 3
Birmingham sent me a confirmation within a day, but if you don't get them it doesn't really matter. Some unis are really disorganised (Imperial...) and I got my acknowledgement email well after a call to interview.
Original post by Dan205
Ah Okayy! Thank you :smile: so all emails send emails when they receive your application? I've applied to Exeter,Nottingham,Birmingham,Liverpool and brunel on Thursday and have only received acknowledgement emails from Exeter and brunel :/ is this bad? (sorry for the slightly off topic question haha)

Not at all, they should all acknowledge your application, its standard that they do (all my uni's did). It probably just hasn't got to them yet. Nothing to worry about :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TVIO
Birmingham sent me a confirmation within a day, but if you don't get them it doesn't really matter. Some unis are really disorganised (Imperial...) and I got my acknowledgement email well after a call to interview.

Wow, thats bad xD ....I guess i cant speak for all uni's

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by chidchilli
Wow, thats bad xD ....I guess i cant speak for all uni's

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not the greatest impression they're making yeah! But it's imperial, so they don't really need to convince much I guess. They're pretty notorious for being horrendously slow. Bath on the other hand was fantastic, got the confirmation email within a day then got an offer about an hour after that. Masssive variation in unis, and as one uni said (can't remember which) 'no news is good news'
Original post by Dan205
Hi there,
My friend and I were talking and were wondering exactly how universities email applicants with information,about acknowledging applications,offer giving out,etc. Does this all happen indirectly through Ucas or do unis send emails directly to you? So if Ucas track is down (as it is currently) does this mean that no unis will be able to email applicants?

Personally, I got an email from UCAS saying that I got an offer/rejection at 18:30 on Friday evening (30 minutes after track went down). I haven't received any emails from universities so I have no way of knowing who the offer or rejection is from. I think it may be Bath because it says on their personal tracker that the status of my application will be updated shortly, however it doesn't look like it's going to update until UCAS is working again. I think that since track is down Unis are not able to inform applicants..
Not all universities will email you directly, either to acknowledge or offer you, and choose to go entirely through UCAS (I've only got three acknowledgements after two weeks, and one who never acknowledged me have given me an offer).

Offers are rarely sent on the weekend, track down or otherwise.
Original post by TVIO
Not the greatest impression they're making yeah! But it's imperial, so they don't really need to convince much I guess. They're pretty notorious for being horrendously slow. Bath on the other hand was fantastic, got the confirmation email within a day then got an offer about an hour after that. Masssive variation in unis, and as one uni said (can't remember which) 'no news is good news'

Haha xD ....yeah I remember seeing that somewhere

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Millymd
Personally, I got an email from UCAS saying that I got an offer/rejection at 18:30 on Friday evening (30 minutes after track went down). I haven't received any emails from universities so I have no way of knowing who the offer or rejection is from. I think it may be Bath because it says on their personal tracker that the status of my application will be updated shortly, however it doesn't look like it's going to update until UCAS is working again. I think that since track is down Unis are not able to inform applicants..

If you really want to know now, cant you email the uni? Might be worth a shot... Are you sure that its THAT uni though? You might have to email all... :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chidchilli
If you really want to know now, cant you email the uni? Might be worth a shot... Are you sure that its THAT uni though? You might have to email all... :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I considered it but I'm not 100% sure it's them so I might as well just wait till tomorrow morning. Thanks anyway :smile:
Reply 12
Ah Okayy,was wondering if I'd done something wrong in the process haha... Phew!
Reply 13
Can't quite work out if this has been answered above but will I receive any information about offers while ucas is down? What I mean is will any changes get emailed to me at 8am tomorrow when it comes back up or are emails still running as usual but you just can't access track... Thanks
I'm so annoyed have my personal statement and choices ready and everything and now the site is down :confused:
Reply 15
Original post by TVIO

LSE used to say no news is good news. But they have changed now, they sent me an email saying they got my application and will email me like every 20-30 days. idk if that is good news or not
Reply 16
Original post by jb12
Can't quite work out if this has been answered above but will I receive any information about offers while ucas is down? What I mean is will any changes get emailed to me at 8am tomorrow when it comes back up or are emails still running as usual but you just can't access track... Thanks

Yeahh,I'm still confused about this as well,dues anyone know for certain?
Original post by jb12

Original post by Dan205
Yeahh,I'm still confused about this as well,dues anyone know for certain?

I received an email on friday evening, 30 minutes after track went down, so I think they still do send emails off..but I would check tomorrow morning anyway :smile:
Original post by Dan205
Hi there,

Depends on the university. UCL and Bristol updated me through track and email, Imperial updated me via telephone and email and Southampton and Oxford have only communicated via email.
Original post by ETRC
LSE used to say no news is good news. But they have changed now, they sent me an email saying they got my application and will email me like every 20-30 days. idk if that is good news or not

they did that last year as well - its a waste of time anyway as they never stick to the deadlines (except for the first two or so emails)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending