The Student Room Group

Hardest A Levels?

Scroll to see replies

Definetely Further Maths! Those who are ****e in maths, have no chance, even if they study 24|7. In addition, unlike other subjects, it requires so much imagination and very tough logic!!! On the other hand, if you are a genius or love challenge, then take it! I would not recomment to do the whole a-level in one year, as it is so stressful and tough! At first, I found it impossible, but then I crack any question with little effort!
IT IS THE SUBJECT THAT MAKES YOU OUTSTANDING AND INTELLEGENT, AS IT INVOLVES MORE Brain storm than anything else!
For me the hardest would be something like Maths and for others perhaps they'd find doing three languages hard. It really depends on the person.
Reply 422
Everyone says it's subjective, but for example my friend said her english lang. class teacher said they could just do what they want one lesson and they all went out to get coffee. In my classes (sciences and maths) if we're late we could get told to simply leave the room
Chemistry

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
it depends, everyone has different opinions of what a levels are considered hard.
But sciences, maths, economics are the hardest I reckon.
I take maths, physics, history and spanish.. and spanish is by far the hardest, twice as hard as any other subject. But obviously thats just me, everyone will find different things easier/more difficult
Original post by sweetze17
Does Anyone Know What The Hardest A Level Is? Like In Rank Of Top 10 Or Something?

In my opinion its chemistry, I do chemistry a2 now and its hard. However, the as seem to be harder amongst most subjects strangely. I got an A but after bloody hard work, other than that further maths is relatively hard, maths is not bad and just from what I do biology is relatively easy. From what I gather around people I know I would say the order is, 1 being hardest

1-Chemistry
2-Further Maths
3-German
4-Maths
5-Biology
6-English Lit
7-History
8-Physics
9-French
10-English Lang
11-Psychology
12-Sociology
13-ICT
14-Media
15-Geogpraphy
16-Business
The thing is, a student that finishes sixth form with 3 A Levels in Sciences is still able to get onto a humanities course. The same is not true for Arts A levels attempting to get onto science courses. Sciences are broader. However, it is definitely subjective.

I, for one, would say that A Level French is the hardest, because I have little to no aptitude for languages. Pretty much everyone has their weaknesses, but universities fail to recognise this. They do recognise, however, that science subjects are much more rigorous than the arts.

As for the Business Studies/Economics issue; Economics has much more breadth to it, and therefore is more useful. A friend of mine applied for Economics last year, and two of the five universities he applied to rejected his application for Economics, but offered him Business Studies. He considered this a bit of a slap in the face. It's similar to applying for Medicine and being offered Biomedical Science, i guess.
Another point to make is that there is a difference between the most difficult AS levels and the most difficult A Levels. This is down to the learning curve involved with each. My top 10 most challenging are as follows:
AS Levels (from the steepest learning curve descending):
-Biology
-Mathematics (inc. Further Mathematics)
-Chemistry
-Physics
-English Literature
-History
-Modern Foreign Languages
-Economics
-Geography
-Computing

A2 Levels (from most difficult learning curve between AS->A2 descending):
-Physics
-Chemistry
-Maths (inc. Further Maths)
-Modern Foreign Languages (You pretty much have to be fluent at this point)
-Economics
-Biology
-Law
-History
-Geography
-English Literature
Original post by ECONMATHSMATHSMATH
Definetely Further Maths! Those who are ****e in maths, have no chance, even if they study 24|7. In addition, unlike other subjects, it requires so much imagination and very tough logic!!! On the other hand, if you are a genius or love challenge, then take it! I would not recomment to do the whole a-level in one year, as it is so stressful and tough! At first, I found it impossible, but then I crack any question with little effort!
IT IS THE SUBJECT THAT MAKES YOU OUTSTANDING AND INTELLEGENT, AS IT INVOLVES MORE Brain storm than anything else!

& the grade boundaries + the interval between two grades. :mad::mad::mad:
Yeah its completely subjective to the person. I do A2 Further Maths, Maths and Physics.

Although these are pretty serious academic subjects I did AS economics, which arguably is the least challenging, but because my essay structure and writing skills are naff it was my worst grade.

Put it another way, in the summer I can get a U in my final maths exam and still get an A overall, thats not to say in Biology or French I could do the same.
I came out with the same A-Level grades in all 3 of my subjects, biology maths and psychology. I would say Maths was hardest followed by Biology and then Psychology, although content-wise there was an awful lot to learn for psychology and names to remember and specific studies whereas in maths there were fewer topics and specific techniques as to how to get the questions right but I found maths harder even though there was IMO less to learn.
Reply 432
I'd just like to Add that aqa a psychology at A2, there is approx 47 potential essays (depending on what topics you do) and you have to learnt content/studies/evaluation and Synoptics for all

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 433
I am going to study Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Economics next year for A-levels. Am i going to have a hard time studying for these A-levels?

Quick Reply

Latest